Rolf Erik Olsen
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Stress and welfare in fish. Chronic stress, welfare markers and primary barriers.
Alternative feed resources. Increased use of unterutilized feed resources including algae and discardsa from marine and terrestrial production.
Functional food. Effects of functional ingredients on fish health and welfare. Focus on stress responses and intestinal function (gut integrity, microbiota and gut brain barrier) .
Lipid nutrition and metabolism. Main focus on dietary lipids and intestinal lipid pathways.
Has been supervisor/co –supervisor of 18 PhD students.
Research grants as principal investigator.
Essential fatty acids in Arctic charr 1988 – 1989, Norwegian Research Council (NFFR).
Winter feed for salmon in cold climate, 1991 - Landsdelsutvalget (LU).
Improved pigmentation of Atlantic salmon, 2001 – 2004 NRC
Krill as feed source for farmed fish 2001 – 2005, NRC.
New marine feed resources, 2001 – 2004 IMR.
Biological control of quality 2004-present (Collaborative project DSM)
Alternative lipid sources, effects on fish health 2009-present, IMR
Mitochondria in salmon, 2013-present, IMR
Marine wax esters, 2005 – 2007, NRC
New Marine Feed Resources. The building of a consortium towards exploitation of un-utilised marine resources for diets to farmed fish, 2006 – 2009 NRC Platform project.
Transgenic oilseed crops as novel, safe, sustainable and cost-effective sources of EPA and DHA for salmon feed, 2015-2018, NRC
Healthy feed to healthy aquatic food via Sino-Norwegian cooperation (Feed2Food) (2021-2024), NRC
Research grants as Co-applicant/investigator
Sexual maturation in Arctic charr – 1991, funded by LU
Effects of submersed detonations on fish. 1991-1992 NFFR
Feedig strategies at long term holding of saithe in cages, 1996, Applied science, NRC
Stress related changes in the gastrointestinal tract of salmonids. 1997 NRC.
Quality in salmonids bred at various temperatures and latitudes. 1998 – NRC.
Gastrointestinal Functions and Food Intake Regulation in Salmonids: Impact of Dietary Vegetable Lipids. Norwegian Partner, 2000 – 2003 EU funded.
Improved quality of herring for humans, Norwegian partner 2005 – 2008 Nordic Industrial Fund.
SILLQUID - Can a Microwave Quick Tool Predict Quality and Origin of Herring, Norwegian partner, 2008 – 2009 Nordic Industrial Fund.
Sustainable aquafeeds to maximize the health benefits of farmed fish for consumers (AQUAMAX) Institutional responsible, 2006-2010, EU FP6 Integrated Project
COPEWELL – Fish new integrative framework for the study of fish welfare based on the concepts of allostasis, appraisal and coping styles. EU-FP7 2010-2014
AQUAEXCEL Aquaculture infrastructures for excellence in European fish research (AQUAEXCEL) Large scale facility project, FP7 2011-2015
AQUAEXCEL2 FP7 2015-2018
Lower trophic level mixed fishery (LOTROMIX) – implications for ecosystem and management, 2015-2018, NRC NTNU node
Ethical capture and killing methods in trawl fisheries (2017-2020), NRC
European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC-NORWAY), lower trophic interactions (2019-2024)
Unveiling links between salmon physiology and online monitored behavior (2018-2021), NRC
Nephrocalcinosis is salmon smolts, a survey focusing on risc factors (2019-2022), FHF
Utilisation of marine raw materials in feed for chaicken “Hydrare (2019-2022), FHF
~ 200 papers in peer-reviewed literature
~ 165 other conference proceedings, popular articles and reports
For a comlete list, contact email@example.com
- BI1006 - Dyrenes struktur og funksjon
- BI3911 - Master thesis in MSAQUAH Health Management in Aquaculture
- BI2065 - Akvakultur
- BI2025 - Dyreøkofysiologi
- BI3069 - Fiskehelse og velferd
- BI1009 - Fiskehelse og velferd
- BI2064 - Fiskeanatomi og fysiologi
- BI3067 - Akvakulturøkologi
- BI3910 - Master Thesis in Ocean Resources
- BI1008 - Laksens biologi i oppdrett og interaksjon med havmiljøet
- BI3062 - Forskningsseminar, marin
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2022) DHA Suppresses Hepatic Lipid Accumulation via Cyclin D1 in Zebrafish. Frontiers in Nutrition. vol. 8.
- (2022) Triploid Atlantic salmon × brown trout hybrids have similar seawater growth and welfare issues as triploid Atlantic salmon, but both were heavier at harvest than their diploid counterparts. Aquaculture. vol. 552.
- (2022) Physiological changes observed in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) with nephrocalcinosis. Aquaculture. vol. 554.
- (2022) Effects of dietary ARA, DHA, and carbohydrates levels on gilthead sea bream liver and intestine oxidative stress, tissue histomorphology, and gut microbiota. Aquaculture. vol. 552.
- (2022) Growth performance, hepatic enzymes, and gut health status of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) in response to dietary Cetobacterium somerae fermentation product. Aquaculture Reports. vol. 23.
- (2022) Stabilized fermentation product of Cetobacterium somerae improves gut and liver health and antiviral immunity of zebrafish. Fish and Shellfish Immunology. vol. 120.
- (2021) Propionate induces intestinal oxidative stress via Sod2 propionylation in zebrafish. iScience. vol. 24 (6).
- (2021) Effect of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) fed low- and high HUFA dies on growth and midgut intestinal health. Aquaculture. Aquaculture. vol. 539.
- (2021) Effect of different dietary arachidonic, eicosapentaenoic, and docosahexaenoic acid content on selected immune parameters in gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata). Fish & Shellfish Immunology Reports. vol. 2.
- (2021) Effects of dietary arachidonic acid and docosahexanoic acid at different carbohydrates levels on gilthead sea bream growth performance and intermediary metabolism. Aquaculture. vol. 545.
- (2021) Dietary Nucleotides Alleviate Hepatic Lipid Deposition via Exogenous AMP-Mediated AMPK Activation in Zebrafish. Journal of Nutrition. vol. 151 (10).
- (2021) Molecular Mechanism Involved in Carotenoid Metabolism in Post-Smolt Atlantic Salmon: Astaxanthin Metabolism During Flesh Pigmentation and Its Antioxidant Properties. Marine Biotechnology. vol. 23.
- (2021) Optical measurement of tissue perfusion changes as an alternative to electrocardiography for heart rate monitoring in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Animal Biotelemetry. vol. 9 (41).
- (2021) Assessment of the risk of negative impact on biodiversity from import and release of eggs or live fish from landlocked Atlantic salmon from Klarälven in Sweden to Trysilelva in Norway. Scientific Opinion of the Panel on Alien Organisms and Trade in Endangered Species of the Norwegian Scientific Committee for Food and Environment. VKM Report. vol. 2021 (04).
- (2021) Effects of Cetobacterium somerae fermentation product on gut and liver health of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) fed diet supplemented with ultra-micro ground mixed plant proteins. Aquaculture. vol. 543.
- (2020) Paraprobiotics and postbiotics of probiotic lactobacilli, their positive effects on the host and action mechanisms: A review. Frontiers in Nutrition. vol. 7.
- (2020) The effects of fish meal replacement with ultra-micro ground mixed plant proteins (uPP) in practical diet on growth, gut and liver health of common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Aquaculture Reports. vol. 19.
- (2020) Ultraviolet-C light suppresses reproduction of sea lice but has adverse effects on host salmon. Aquaculture. vol. 520.
- (2020) Effects of stunning methods on pre rigor changes in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) reared at two different temperatures. Italian Journal of Animal Science. vol. 19 (1).
- (2020) Targeted mutagenesis of Δ5 and Δ6 fatty acyl desaturases induce dysregulation of lipid metabolism in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). BMC Genomics. vol. 21.