Rolf Erik Olsen
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Stress and welfare in aquatic animals. Main focus is the relationship between stress (acute and chronic) on primary barriers.
Lipid nutrition and metabolism. Main focus on dietary lipids and intestinal lipid pathways.
b) Prebiotics. Effects of diets and stress on colonization of intestinal microbiota.
c) New feed resources. Utilisation of feed resources from lower tropic levels. Includes marine and vegetable sources.
Has been supervisor/co –supervisor of 5/7 PhD students.
Research grants as principal investigator.
Essential fatty acids in Arctic charr 1988 – 1989, Norwegian Research Council (NFFR).
Winter feed for salmon in cold climate, 1991 - Landsdelsutvalget (LU).
Improved pigmentation of Atlantic salmon, 2001 – 2004 NRC
Krill as feed source for farmed fish 2001 – 2005, NRC.
New marine feed resources, 2001 – 2004 IMR.
Biological control of quality 2004-present (Collaborative project DSM)
Alternative lipid sources, effects on fish health 2009-present, IMR
Mitochondria in salmon, 2013-present, IMR
Marine wax esters, 2005 – 2007, NRC
New Marine Feed Resources. The building of a consortium towards exploitation of un-utilised marine resources for diets to farmed fish, 2006 – 2009 NRC Platform project.
Transgenic oilseed crops as novel, safe, sustainable and cost-effective sources of EPA and DHA for salmon feed, 2015-2018, NRC
Research grants as Co-applicant/investigator
Sexual maturation in Arctic charr – 1991, funded by LU
Effects of submersed detonations on fish. 1991-1992 NFFR
Feedig strategies at long term holding of saithe in cages, 1996, Applied science, NRC
Stress related changes in the gastrointestinal tract of salmonids. 1997 NRC.
Quality in salmonids bred at various temperatures and latitudes. 1998 – NRC.
Gastrointestinal Functions and Food Intake Regulation in Salmonids: Impact of Dietary Vegetable Lipids. Norwegian Partner, 2000 – 2003 EU funded.
Improved quality of herring for humans, Norwegian partner 2005 – 2008 Nordic Industrial Fund.
SILLQUID - Can a Microwave Quick Tool Predict Quality and Origin of Herring, Norwegian partner, 2008 – 2009 Nordic Industrial Fund.
Sustainable aquafeeds to maximize the health benefits of farmed fish for consumers (AQUAMAX) Institutional responsible, 2006-2010, EU FP6 Integrated Project
COPEWELL – Fish new integrative framework for the study of fish welfare based on the concepts of allostasis, appraisal and coping styles. EU-FP7 2010-2014
AQUAEXCEL Aquaculture infrastructures for excellence in European fish research (AQUAEXCEL) Large scale facility project, FP7 2011-2015
AQUAEXCEL2 FP7 2015-2018
Lower trophic level mixed fishery (LOTROMIX) – implications for ecosystem and management, 2015-2018, NRC
~ 150 papers in peer-reviewed literature
~ 145 other conference proceedings, popular articles and reports
For a comlete list, contact email@example.com
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2020) Ultraviolet-C light suppresses reproduction of sea lice but has adverse effects on host salmon. Aquaculture. vol. 520.
- (2020) Comparative transcriptomics reveals domestication‐associated features of Atlantic salmon lipid metabolism. Molecular Ecology. vol. 29 (10).
- (2020) Mid and hindgut transcriptome profiling analysis of Atlantic salmon (Salmon salar) under unpredictable chronic stress. Royal Society Open Science. vol. 7 (2).
- (2020) Red and white chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha): Differences in the transcriptome profile of muscle, liver, and pylorus. Marine Biotechnology. vol. 22 (4).
- (2020) Paraprobiotics and Postbiotics of Probiotic Lactobacilli, Their Positive Effects on the Host and Action Mechanisms: A Review. Frontiers in Nutrition.
- (2020) Research progress on gut health of farmers teleost fish: a viewpoint concerning the intestinal mucosal barrier and the impact of its damage. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries.
- (2019) CRISPR/Cas9-mediated editing of Δ5 and Δ6 desaturases impairs Δ8-desaturation and docosahexaenoic acid synthesis in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Scientific Reports. vol. 9.
- (2019) CRISPR/Cas9-mediated ablation of elovl2 in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) inhibits elongation of polyunsaturated fatty acids and induces Srebp-1 and target genes. Scientific Reports. vol. 9.
- (2019) Effect of dietary ARA/EPA/DHA ratios on growth performance and intermediary metabolism of gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata) juveniles. Aquaculture. vol. 516.
- (2019) Effects of dietary glutamate and succinate on growth performance and mitochondrial respiration in heart and liver of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) smolts. Journal of Fisheries. vol. 7 (2).
- (2019) Can mesopelagic mixed layers be used as feed source for salmon aquaculture?. Deep-sea research. Part II, Topical studies in oceanography.
- (2019) Anti-biofilm properties and immunological response of an immune molecule lectin isolated from shrimp Metapenaeus monoceros. Fish and Shellfish Immunology. vol. 94.
- (2019) The β-oxidation pathway is downregulated during diapause termination in Calanus copepods. Scientific Reports. vol. 9 (1).
- (2019) A Crude Awakening: Effects of Crude Oil on Lipid Metabolism in Calanoid Copepods Terminating Diapause. The Biological Bulletin. vol. 237 (2).
- (2019) Endogenous production of n-3 long-chain PUFA from first feeding and the influence of dietary linoleic acid and the α-linolenic:linoleic ratio in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). British Journal of Nutrition. vol. 122 (10).
- (2019) Omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, EPA and DHA: Bridging the gap between supply and demand. Nutrients. vol. 11:89 (1).
- (2019) Use of probiotics in aquaculture of China—a review of the past decade. Fish and Shellfish Immunology. vol. 86.
- (2018) Oil from transgenic Camelina sativa containing over 25 % n-3 long-chain PUFA as the major lipid source in feed for Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). British Journal of Nutrition. vol. 119 (12).
- (2018) Impact of dietary carbohydrate/protein ratio on hepatic metabolism in land-locked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9.
- (2018) Criteria for safe use of plant ingredients in diets for aquacultured fish. European Journal of Nutrition and Food Safety. vol. 8.