Rolf Erik Olsen
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Stress and welfare in aquatic animals. Main focus is the relationship between stress (acute and chronic) on primary barriers.
Lipid nutrition and metabolism. Main focus on dietary lipids and intestinal lipid pathways.
b) Prebiotics. Effects of diets and stress on colonization of intestinal microbiota.
c) New feed resources. Utilisation of feed resources from lower tropic levels. Includes marine and vegetable sources.
Has been supervisor/co –supervisor of 5/7 PhD students.
Research grants as principal investigator.
Essential fatty acids in Arctic charr 1988 – 1989, Norwegian Research Council (NFFR).
Winter feed for salmon in cold climate, 1991 - Landsdelsutvalget (LU).
Improved pigmentation of Atlantic salmon, 2001 – 2004 NRC
Krill as feed source for farmed fish 2001 – 2005, NRC.
New marine feed resources, 2001 – 2004 IMR.
Biological control of quality 2004-present (Collaborative project DSM)
Alternative lipid sources, effects on fish health 2009-present, IMR
Mitochondria in salmon, 2013-present, IMR
Marine wax esters, 2005 – 2007, NRC
New Marine Feed Resources. The building of a consortium towards exploitation of un-utilised marine resources for diets to farmed fish, 2006 – 2009 NRC Platform project.
Transgenic oilseed crops as novel, safe, sustainable and cost-effective sources of EPA and DHA for salmon feed, 2015-2018, NRC
Research grants as Co-applicant/investigator
Sexual maturation in Arctic charr – 1991, funded by LU
Effects of submersed detonations on fish. 1991-1992 NFFR
Feedig strategies at long term holding of saithe in cages, 1996, Applied science, NRC
Stress related changes in the gastrointestinal tract of salmonids. 1997 NRC.
Quality in salmonids bred at various temperatures and latitudes. 1998 – NRC.
Gastrointestinal Functions and Food Intake Regulation in Salmonids: Impact of Dietary Vegetable Lipids. Norwegian Partner, 2000 – 2003 EU funded.
Improved quality of herring for humans, Norwegian partner 2005 – 2008 Nordic Industrial Fund.
SILLQUID - Can a Microwave Quick Tool Predict Quality and Origin of Herring, Norwegian partner, 2008 – 2009 Nordic Industrial Fund.
Sustainable aquafeeds to maximize the health benefits of farmed fish for consumers (AQUAMAX) Institutional responsible, 2006-2010, EU FP6 Integrated Project
COPEWELL – Fish new integrative framework for the study of fish welfare based on the concepts of allostasis, appraisal and coping styles. EU-FP7 2010-2014
AQUAEXCEL Aquaculture infrastructures for excellence in European fish research (AQUAEXCEL) Large scale facility project, FP7 2011-2015
AQUAEXCEL2 FP7 2015-2018
Lower trophic level mixed fishery (LOTROMIX) – implications for ecosystem and management, 2015-2018, NRC
~ 150 papers in peer-reviewed literature
~ 145 other conference proceedings, popular articles and reports
For a comlete list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2019) CRISPR/Cas9-mediated ablation of elovl2 in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) inhibits elongation of polyunsaturated fatty acids and induces Srebp-1 and target genes. Scientific Reports. vol. 9.
- (2019) A Crude Awakening: Effects of Crude Oil on Lipid Metabolism in Calanoid Copepods Terminating Diapause. The Biological Bulletin. vol. 237 (2).
- (2019) Omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, EPA and DHA: Bridging the gap between supply and demand. Nutrients. vol. 11:89 (1).
- (2019) Use of probiotics in aquaculture of China—a review of the past decade. Fish and Shellfish Immunology. vol. 86.
- (2018) Oil from transgenic Camelina sativa containing over 25 % n-3 long-chain PUFA as the major lipid source in feed for Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). British Journal of Nutrition. vol. 119 (12).
- (2018) Impact of dietary carbohydrate/protein ratio on hepatic metabolism in land-locked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9.
- (2018) Criteria for safe use of plant ingredients in diets for aquacultured fish. European Journal of Nutrition and Food Safety. vol. 8.
- (2018) A systemic study of lipid metabolism regulation in salmon fingerlings and early juveniles fed plant oil. British Journal of Nutrition. vol. 120 (6).
- (2018) Transcriptional development of phospholipid and lipoprotein metabolism in different intestinal regions of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) fry. BMC Genomics. vol. 19.
- (2018) Transcriptional regulation of lipid metabolism when salmon fry switches from endogenous to exogenous feeding. Aquaculture. vol. 503.
- (2018) Hydrolysis activity of pyloric cecal enterocytes of brown trout (Salmo trutta) toward monoacylglycerol and lysophosphatidylcholine. Lipids. vol. 53 (6).
- (2018) Effects of acclimation temperature on cortisol and oxygen consumption in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) post-smolt exposed to acute stress. Aquaculture. vol. 497.
- (2018) Update on GM canola crops as novel sources of omega‐3 fish oils. Plant Biotechnology Journal.
- (2018) Changes in water temperature and oxygen: the effect of triploidy on performance and metabolism in large farmed Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture Environment Interactions. vol. 10.
- (2018) Preliminarily study on the maximum handling size, prey size and species selectivity of growth hormone transgenic and non-transgenic common carp Cyprinus carpio when foraging on gastropods. Journal of Oceanology and Limnology. vol. 36 (4).
- (2017) An oil containing EPA and DHA from transgenic Camelina sativa to replace marine fish oil in feeds for Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.): Effects on intestinal transcriptome, histology, tissue fatty acid profiles and plasma biochemistry. PLOS ONE. vol. 12 (4).
- (2017) Habituation and conditioning in gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata): Effects of aversive stimuli, reward and social hierarchies. Aquaculture Research. vol. 49 (1).
- (2017) The effect of dietary chitin on growth and nutrient digestibility in farmed Atlantic cod, Atlantic salmon and Atlantic halibut. Aquaculture Research. vol. 48 (1).
- (2017) A comparative study of diploid versus triploid Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). The effects of rearing temperatures (5, 10 and 15 °C) on raw material characteristics and storage quality. Food Chemistry. vol. 225.
- (2017) Skin mucus of gilthead sea bream (sparus aurata l.). protein mapping and regulation in chronically stressed fish. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 8:34.