Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
The ScienceHumanities research group at Department of teacher education, NTNU
In the ScienceHumanities research group, we use perspectives from the humanities and the social sciences to study natural science (including school science) as practice and culture, past and present. E.g. we study the history of science and science education, Nature of science in textbooks and classroom practice, writing cultures from a sociocultural perspective, students’ understanding of science, practical experiments in science teaching.
I hold a M.Sc. in chemistry/chemistry education (1998) and a PhD in chemistry education/history of chemistry (2005). Research interests include the history of 20th century chemistry in Norway, studies of technical-chemical education in Norway, radioactivity and nuclear science, the periodic system, the material culture of chemistry, women in chemistry, collaborative couples in the sciences, textbooks in chemistry, 19th and 20th century teaching practices and tools, small-scale experiments in chemistry education, writing cultures and practices in science.
The International Year of the Periodic Table (Periodesystemets år)
Co-editor (with Brigitte Van Tiggelen) of Women in Their Element: Selected Women's Contributions to the Periodic System (edited volume, World Scientific)
Co-editor (with Brigitte Van Tiggelen), special issue of Centaurus dedicated to the periodic system
Co-editor (with Brigitte Van Tiggelen and Luis Moreno Martínez), special issue of Substantia dedicated to the periodic system
Co-author (with Unni Eikeseth) of book on the elements (forthcoming from Museumsforlaget)
(with Unni Eikeseth, Jonas Persson, Per-Odd Eggen, Lise Kvittingen, Ingeborg Berg)
Members of the research group:
- Annette Lykknes (chair)
- Unni Eikeseth
- Jonas Persson
- Per-Odd Eggen
- Jesper Aagaard Petersen
- Festo Kayima
- Helena Bichão
- Pål Kvello
Mirtachew T. Ali: "Development and Use of Low-Cost Locally Available Instructional Materials as a Vehicle for Enhancing the Quality of High School Chemistry Education in Ethiopia"
Recent master theses:
- Synne Apold Korsbrekke on students' understanding of atoms and molecules
- Birgitte Fisketjøn on writing argumentative texts on acids and bases
- Siri Leirbekk Mjøsund on nature of science and the laboratory report
- Hege Sletten on nature of science in science textbooks 8-10
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2019) Ellen Gleditsch: Woman Chemist in IUPAC’s Early History. Chemistry International. vol. 41 (3).
- (2019) Celebrate the women behind the periodic table. Nature. vol. 565.
- (2019) Las mujeres de la tabla periódica. Investigacion y Ciencia.
- (2018) Vitenskap for politikk - Om bidrag til matkontroll og matforsyning. Norsk Statsvitenskapelig Tidsskrift. vol. 34 (4).
- (2017) Relationships between academia, state and Industry in the field of food and nutrition: The Norwegian chemist Sigval Schmidt-Nielsen (1877-1956) and his professional roles, 1900-1950. Centaurus. vol. 58 (4).
- (2015) ‘Named small but doing great’: an investigation of small-scale chemistry experimentation for effective undergraduate practical work. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education. vol. 15 (3).
- (2014) SMALL-SCALE CHEMISTRY FOR A HANDS-ON APPROACH TO CHEMISTRY PRACTICAL WORK IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS:EXPERIENCES FROM ETHIOPIA. African Journal of Chemical Education. vol. 4 (3).
- (2012) Reconstructing Iconic Experiments in Electrochemistry: Experiences from a History of Science Course. Science & Education. vol. 21 (2).
- (2005) Ellen Gleditsch: Duty and Responsibility in a research and teaching career, 1916 - 1946. Historical Studies in the Physical and Biological Sciences. vol. 36 (1).
- (2005) Ellen Gleditsch: Duty and Responsibility in a research and teaching career, 1916-1946. Historical Studies in the Physical and Biological Sciences. vol. 36 (1).
- (2004) Appreciated abroad! Depreciated at home? The Career of a Radiochemist in Norway: Ellen Gleditsch (1879-1968). Isis. vol. 95.
- (2004) Struggles and Achievements. Ellen Gleditsch (1879-1968): Norwegian Female Radiochemist. Studies in the History of Sciences and Humanities = Práze z dejin vedy. vol. 13.
- (2004) Ellen Gleditsch: Pioneer Woman in Radiochemistry. Physics in Perspective. vol. 6.
- (2003) Arsenic: Not So Evil After All?. Journal of Chemical Education. vol. 80 (5).
- (2019) Women in their Element: Selected Women’s Contributions to the Periodic System. World Scientific. 2019. ISBN 9789811206283.
- (2017) 11th International Conference on the History of Chemistry, Trondheim 2017. Book of abstracts. 2017. ISBN 978-82-7923-079-3.
- (2015) Akademi og industri: Kjemiutdanning og -forskning ved NTNU gjennom 100 år. Fagbokforlaget. 2015. ISBN 9788245018288.
- (2012) For Better or For Worse? Collaborative Couples in the Sciences. Birkhäuser Verlag. 2012. ISBN 9783034802857.
Del av bok/rapport
- (2019) Ellen Gleditsch and Research on Radium, Chlorine and Potassium. Women in their Element: Selected Women’s Contributions to the Periodic System.
- (2019) Sonja Smith-Meyer-Hoel – Chemical Engineer in the Ferrosilicon and Aluminium Industry in Norway. Women in their Element: Selected Women’s Contributions to the Periodic System.