Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I am conducting research within the fields of Energy Planning and Power Markets. My interests are especially focused towards integration of renewable energy in the energy system. My research activities includes:
- Optimization of energy storage in connection with renewables (investment and operation)
- Download my first Matlab-based simulation model here : Windhydtools
- The use of hydro power as a balancing asset
- Go to the HYDROBALANCE homepage
- Investment planning of grids, including a future North Sea Grid
- Start here
- Large scale integration of renewable energy sources in Europe
- Professor at Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2014-)
- Scientific Advisor for SINTEF Energi (2014-)
- Research Director at SINTEF Energi, Dept. of Energy Systems (2011-2014)
- Research Manager at SINTEF Energi, the System Dynamics team (2009-2011)
- Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2006-2009)
- Post.doc. at Inst. for elkraftteknikk, NTNU (2004-2006)
- Dr.ing. (PhD) from Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2004) with title: "Distributed energy systems with wind power and energy storage"
- Siv.ing. (MSc) from Technical Physics, NTNU (1998)
- Contributing in the FME research centres CINELDI, ZEN and HydroCen.
- Contributing in the EU H2020 project INVADE
- Participating in EERA Joint Programme on Smart Grids, Sub Program on Electricity Storage. Responsible for Coordination Area 4.3 "Economic and technical benefits of incorporating an energy storage systems into networks"
- Currently participating in the projects
- CEDREN HydroBalance
- PRIBAS - Pricing Balancing Services in the Future Nordic Power Market
- Modelling Distributed Resources in Smart Distribution Grid
- EV4EUR - Environmental assessment of electric vehicle deployment pathways for Europe
- MultiSharm - Day-Ahead Bidding with Multiple Short-Term Markets
- HydroBalance - Large-scale balancing and energy storage from Norwegian hydropower
- NSON (North Sea Offshore Networks)
- Integrating Balancing Markets in Hydro Power Scheduling
- MAD - Models for Aggregation and Disaggregation
- SOVN - A new fundamental market model including individual water values and grid constraints
- InGrid - Integration of Power Transmission Grids
- OADE - Open and Autonomous Digital Ecosystems
- HYPER - Liquefied hydrogen production from surplus wind/hydro power and fossil sources in Norway
- Past project involvment:
Main Supervisor for:
- Espen Flo Bødal - Production of Hydrogen from Hydro- and Wind Power in Transmission Constrained Areas
- Ingeborg Graabak: Balancing of wind and solar production in Northern Europe with Norwegian hydropower
- Martin Kristiansen: Optimization of onshore- and offshore power grid infrastructures
- Salman Zaferanlouei: Integration of Electric Vehicles with Smart Grid
- Martin Hjelmeland: Long-Term Scheduling of Hydro Power in Multiple Markets
- Markus Löschenbrand: Utilization of hydro power in short-term electricity markets
- Stig Ødegaard Ottesen: Techno Economic Models in Smart Grids (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Rubén Montañés: Dynamic process simulation of decarbonized power generation (Energy and Process Eng., NTNU)
- Martin Håberg: Exchange of Standard Products for Balancing in the European POwer Market (Electric Power Eng., NTNU and Statnett)
- Philipp Härtel: Implications of alternative flexibility sources for the cost-benefit allocation in offshore grids (Univ. of Kassel and Fraunhofer IWES)
- Antonio Zecchino: Electric vehicles in the Nordic countries: Control strategies for coordinated grid services (DTU/NTNU collaboration)
- Main supervisor for 10 project/master-students 2014-2015
- Main supervisor for 14 project/master-students 2015-2016
- Main supervisor for 8 project/master-students 2016-2017
- Responsible for the 3-year course "Energy Planning and Operation" and the PhD course "Power Market Theory" (2014-)
- Lecturer in the 1-year course "Energy and the Environment" and the 4-year course "Energy Management in Bulidings" 2014-2016
- Responsible for the EVU-course "Production planning in hydro-based power systems" (2014)
Media and dissemination (mainly in Norwegian)
Intervju i NRK Trøndelag: Vindmøller gir billigere strøm, 24. feb 2016
Killingtveit, Ånund; Harby, Atle; Korpås, Magnus. Norge som leverandør av balansekraft. Produksjonsteknisk konferanse 2016 (PTK2016); 2016-03-07 - 2016-03-09
Korpås, Magnus. Nye trender skaper utfordringer for dagens beslutningsstøttesystemer. Smart Energy 2015; 2015-01-29 - 2015-01-30
Korpås, Magnus; Aam, Sverre; Tomasgard, Asgeir. Norges voksende rolle i Europas energisystem. I: Energi, teknologi og klima - utfordringer og handlingsrom. Museumsforlaget AS 2015 ISBN 9788283050240. s. 169-182
Korpås, Magnus; Vereide, Kaspar; Gogstad, Peter Joachim. Vannkraft - Ren energi som verdens batteri. EFIKS 2015; 2015-10-13 - 2015-10-14
Kronikk i Aftenposten 9. nov 2015: Norge må bli Europas batteri
Kronikk i Dagens Næringsliv 11. juni 2015: Elbiler kan trigge vindsatsing
Kronikk i Adresseavisen 3. juni 2015: Viktig rolle i et fornybart Europa
Repotasje i Dagens Næringsliv 28.oktober 2014: "Vil doble norsk vannkraft"
Debattinnlegg i Dagens Næringsliv 30. mai 2014: "Kampen om virkemidlene"
Presentasjon ved Kungliga Ingerniörvetenskapsakademien, Stockholm 28. mai 2014 "Market Aspects of Balancing"
Deltager i NRK P2 EKKO innslag 21. mai 2014: "Er el-bilen grønn?"
Foredrag for Stortingets energi- og miljøkomite 10. mars 2014 "Elektrifisering og bruk av offshore vind"
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2018) Proactive operation of electric vehicles in harmonic polluted smart distribution networks. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 12 (4).
- (2017) Regional effects of hydrogen production in congested transmission grids with wind and hydro power. International Conference on the European Energy Market.
- (2017) The impact of electrification on power system in Northern Europe. International Conference on the European Energy Market.
- (2017) Coordinated optimization of weekly reserve, day-ahead and balancing energy trade in hydropower. Journal of Physics, Conference Series. vol. 813 (1).
- (2017) Norway as a Battery for the Future European Power System—Impacts on the Hydropower System. Energies. vol. 10 (12).
- (2017) Aggregation Methods for modelling hydropower and its implications for a highly decarbonised energy system in Europe. Energies. vol. 10 (11).
- (2017) Assessing the impact of sampling and clustering techniques on offshore grid expansion planning. Energy Procedia. vol. 137.
- (2017) A generic framework for power system flexibility analysis using cooperative game theory. Applied Energy. vol. 212.
- (2017) Multistage grid investments incorporating uncertainty in offshore wind development. Energy Procedia. vol. 137.
- (2017) Validation study of an approximate 2014 European power-flow model using PowerGAMA. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 11 (2).
- (2017) Hydro Power Reservoir Aggregation via Genetic Algorithms. Energies. vol. 10 (12).
- (2017) Distributed control scheme for residential battery energy storage units coupled with PV systems. Renewable Energy. vol. 113.
- (2017) Effective Concepts for Supplying Energy to a Large Offshore Oil and Gas Area under Different Future Scenarios. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 61.
- (2017) Guidelines for distribution system operators on reactive Power provision by Electric vehicles in low-voltage grids. CIRED 2017 - IET Journals. vol. 2017.
- (2016) Smoothing of Offshore Wind Power Variations with Norwegian Pumped Hydro: Case Study. Energy Procedia. vol. 87.
- (2016) Balancing of Variable Wind and Solar Production in Continental Europe with Nordic Hydropower – A Review of Simulation Studies. Energy Procedia. vol. 87.
- (2016) Variability Characteristics of European Wind and Solar Power Resources — A Review. Energies. vol. 9 (6).
- (2016) A Case Study on Medium-Term Hydropower Scheduling with Sales of Capacity. Energy Procedia. vol. 87.
- (2016) Methodology for optimal energy system design of Zero Energy Buildings using mixed-integer linear programming. Energy and Buildings. vol. 127.
- (2016) Large scale introduction of Zero Energy Buildings in the Nordic power system. International Conference on the European Energy Market. vol. 2016-July.