Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Associate Professor of Geological Engineering. 25 years of experience in research and implementation of rock engineering, tunnelling and hydropower projects.
On going and future research projects:
- Effects of swelling rock mass on the stability and support requirement in water tunnels
- Impact of peaking operation in water tunnels due to frequent start / stop
- Decisive Parameters for Open Pit Slopes (DePOPS)
- Applicability of unlined/shotcretelined high pressure tunnels in the Himalaya
- Plastic deformation and tunnel squeezing
- Water inflow and injection grouting for watertight tunnels
- Longterm stability of waterway system for hydropower
- Deformation behavior of concrete dams
Completed research collaboration projects:
- Stability of tunnels subject to plastic deformation - a contribution based on the cases from the Nepal Himalaya - Main Supervisor to the PhD thesis written by Dr. Pawan Kumar Shrestha (2014)
- Developing future 20 000 MW hydroelectric power in Norway with pumped storage: CEDREN project (Hydro PEAK) implemented through GEMINI-center (2011).
- Underground gas storage project: An EEA project, which was implemented in cooperation between IGB, SINTEF Bygg and the Czech Technical University in Prague (2009)
- Probable dynamics and possible course of events of the burst debris flood” at the inclined shaft of Svandalsflona hydropower project on 9th May 2009 (2009).
Commission member, external advisory, panel of expert
- Department's representative at the Norwegian Hydropower Center (NVKS)
- FME HydroCen (Norwegian Research Centre for Hydropower Technology) – a research initiative of national importance within renewable energy sector in Norway and is funded by NFR. Involved as scientific advisor in issues related to engineering geology and tunnel stability issues, research member of the technical committee, scientific advisor and main supervisor of two PhD Projects for Work Package One (WP 1.1) - Hydropower structures innovation (2017 - 2024).
- ISRM commission member for hard rock tunnelling (2011 - 2016)
- External advisor: Geolab Nepal (NORAD/PEEDA/KU)
- Panel of Expert: Mristi Hydropower Project, Nepal (2013 - 2017)
- Panel of Expert: Super Dordi Hydropower Project, Nepal (2016 - 2021)
- Panel of Expert: Upper Kontum HPP Vietnam (complete)
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2018) Roughness evaluation in shotcrete-lined water tunnels with invert concrete based on cases from Nepal. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. vol. 10 (1).
- (2018) Slope stability assessment of an open pit mine using three-dimensional rock mass modeling. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment.
- (2018) Methods Applied in the Prediction of Brittle Failure in Tunnels and Underground Caverns. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment. vol. January 2018 (Issue no. 22).
- (2018) Estimating Tunnel Strain in the Weak and Schistose Rock Mass Influenced by Stress Anisotropy: An Evaluation Based on Three Tunnel Cases from Nepal. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering.
- (2017) 3D in-Situ Stress Model of Upper Tamakoshi Hydroelectric Project Area. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment. vol. July Issue (21).
- (2017) Development of a 3D structural model of a mine by consolidating different data sources. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment.
- (2017) Design review of the headrace system for the Upper Tamakoshi project, Nepal. International journal on hydropower and dams. vol. 24 (Issue 1).
- (2017) Evaluation of Powerhouse Cavern for the SachKhas Hydroelectric Project in Himachal, India. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment. vol. January (20).
- (2016) Turnkey Contract - A Management Challenge under Himalayan Geological Condition. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment.
- (2016) Review on the Major Failure Cases of Unlined Pressure Shafts/Tunnels of Norwegian Hydropower Projects. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment.
- (2015) Himalayan rock mass and possibility of limiting concrete lined pressure tunnel length in hydropower projects in the Himalaya. Geosystem Engineering. vol. 18 (1).
- (2015) Assessment of the effect of stress anisotropy on tunnel deformation in the Kaligandaki project in the Nepal Himalaya. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. vol. 74.
- (2015) Estimating Tunnel Strain in Weak and Schistose Rock Mass under a State of in-situ Stress Anisotropy. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment.
- (2014) Analysis on the Dynamics of Burst Debris Flood at the Inclined Pressure-Shaft of Svandalsflona Hydropower Project, Norway. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 47 (3).
- (2014) Norwegian Design Principle for High Pressure Tunnels and Shafts: Its Applicability in the Himalaya. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment.
- (2014) Analysis of the plastic deformation behavior of schist and schistose mica gneiss at Khimti headrace tunnel, Nepal. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. vol. 73 (3).
- (2014) Groundwater Effect on Faulted Rock Mass: An Evaluation of Modi Khola Pressure Tunnel in the Nepal Himalaya. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 47.
- (2014) Evaluation of Seismic Events Occurred after Filling and Drawdown of the Reservoir at Song Tranh 2 HPP in Vietnam. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment.
- (2013) Analysis of Squeezing Phenomenon in the Headrace Tunnel of Chameliya Project, nepal. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment.
- (2013) Predicting Tunnel Squeezing: A Discussion based on Two Tunnel Projects. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment.