Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Information about myself
After receiving a Dr.ing. degree from NTH in 1984, I joined Statoil Research Centre in Trondheim in 1985 to work within their “Material Technology” group. During this period I was involved in several research projects, material selection activities for new fields and failure analysis for existing fields. I also worked as Department Manager for some years.
In 1991 I joined CorrOcean in a combined management/technical position to develop the company from a small national company to be a leading international company within “Corrosion monitoring and corrosion management”. During my 13 years with CorrOcean the company grew from 30 people to 350 people with activities in all the major oil regions in the world. I also got the opportunity to visit the most important regions with oil activities in the world including Asia, Australia , South America, North America and Europe working with the leading oil companies and supplier industry. During my years in CorrOcean the company was listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
After 20 years in oil industry I accepted an offer to be a Professor within “Corrosion and Surface Technology” at IPM in 2004. I still have good contact with the industry and use my contact and experience to develop my courses and to get interesting industrial related projects both for master students and for PhD candidates.
I am present manager for the Strategic Area Materials (Tematisk Satsingsområde Materialer) at NTNU.
Fields of interest
- Material technology for the oil industry
- Corrosion of metallic materials for the process industry
- Corrosion protection by cathodic protection and/or coating
- Corrosion, erosion and wear resistant materials and surfaces
- Tribology (including tribo-corrosion)
- Integrity management of production systems
- Hydrogen embrittlement of metals
In the following is given a short presentation of the main research projects I’m involved in:
HISC - Hydrogen induced stress cracking of stainless steels (2005 – 2011) JIP sponsored by Statoil, ConocoPhillips, Total, Shell, Petrobras, Chevron and supply industry.
Prevention of hydrogen induced stress cracking (HISC) in subsea pipelines and production systems made from stainless steels (2006- 2012) Project sponsored by the Norwegian Research Council through the Petromaks program.
NODE Advanced Riser Tensioning project (2007-2010) Project sponsored by the Norwegian Research Council through the Petromaks program together with National Oilwell Varco, Aker Solutions Maritime Hydraulics, Bosch Rexroth, Umoe Mandal, Statoil.
Pulsed plasma surface treatment (PPST) – effect on hydrogen embrittlement and hydrogen absorption and diffusion (2009-2012)
JIP sponsored by Total, Aker Solutions, FMC Kongsberg and MoTECH Plasma.
Project sponsored by the Norwegian Research Council through the Petromaks program together with oil companies and service industry.
NOWITECH – Norwegian Research Centre for OffshoreWind (2009-2015)
FME sponsored by The Norwegian Research Council and the industry. Participating in activities related to optimization of maintenance including coating technology.
|TMM4170/TMT4255||Corrosion and corrosion protection|
|TMM4205||Tribology and Surface technology|
|TMM4535||Robust material selection and design – offshore applications|
- TMM4935 - Industriell IKT, masteroppgave
- TMM4170 - Korrosjon
- TMM4960 - Produktutvikling og materialer, masteroppgave
- MM8455 - Eksperimentelle og modellerende tilnærminger innen overflateteknikk, korrosjon og tribologi
- TMM4100 - Materialteknikk
- TMT4255 - Korrosjon og korrosjonsbeskyttelse
- MM8420 - Videregående metalliske materialer
- MM8405 - Videregående tribologi og overflateteknikk
- TMM4540 - Industriell IKT produktutvikling og materialer, fordypningsprosjekt
- TMM4205 - Tribologi og overflateteknikk
- TMM4560 - Produktutvikling og materialer, fordypningsprosjekt
- TMM4940 - Nanoteknologi, masteroppgave
- TMM4550 - Nanoteknologi, fordypningsprosjekt
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2022) Evaluation of the cementite morphology influence on the hydrogen induced crack nucleation and propagation path in carbon steels. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. vol. 47 (30).
- (2022) Hydrogen diffusion and trapping in nickel-based Alloy 625: An electrochemical permeation study. Electrochimica Acta. vol. 421.
- (2022) Reveal hydrogen behavior at grain boundaries in Fe-22Mn-0.6C TWIP steel via in-situ micropillar compression test. Acta Metallurgica Sinica (English Letters).
- (2022) Corrosion and Microstructural Investigation on Additively Manufactured 316L Stainless Steel: Experimental and Statistical Approach. Materials. vol. 15 (4).
- (2022) Hydrogen uptake during active CO2-H2S corrosion of carbon steel wires in simulated annulus fluid. Corrosion Science. vol. 199.
- (2022) Role of grain boundaries in hydrogen embrittlement of alloy 725: single and bi-crystal microcantilever bending study. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. vol. 47 (25).
- (2021) Hydrogen uptake and diffusivity in steel armor wires with different chemical composition, carbide distribution, grain size, and degree of deformation. Materials and corrosion - Werkstoffe und Korrosion. vol. 73 (3).
- (2021) Crevice corrosion of solution annealed 25Cr duplex stainless steels: Effect of W on critical temperatures. Corrosion Science. vol. 178.
- (2021) Probing hydrogen effect on nanomechanical properties of X65 pipeline steel using in-situ electrochemical nanoindentation. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 824.
- (2021) Understanding the hydrogen effect on pop-in behavior of an equiatomic high-entropy alloy during in-situ nanoindentation. Journal of Materials Science & Technology. vol. 98.
- (2021) Effect of hydrogen on the embrittlement susceptibility of Fe-22Mn-0.6C TWIP steel revealed by in-situ tensile tests. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 802.
- (2020) Stress Corrosion Cracking in an Extruded Cu-Free Al-Zn-Mg Alloy. Metals. vol. 10 (9).
- (2020) Hydrogen Embrittlement Susceptibility of Steel Armor Wires for Flexible Pipes. International Corrosion Conference Series.
- (2020) The Effect of Hydrogen on the Nanoindentation Behavior of Heat Treated 718 Alloy. Metals. vol. 10 (11).
- (2020) The Role of Tungsten on the Phase Transformation Kinetics and its Correlation with the Localized Corrosion Resistance of 25Cr Super Duplex Stainless Steels. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. vol. 167 (8).
- (2020) Use of the Critical Acidification Model to Estimate the Influence of W in the Localized Corrosion Resistance of 25Cr Super Duplex Stainless Steels. Metals. vol. 10 (10).
- (2019) The Akaike information criterion in weighted regression of immittance data. Electrochimica Acta. vol. 317.
- (2019) Influence of Manufacturing Process and Resulting Microstructure on HISC Susceptibility of 25Cr Duplex Stainless Steel Pipe. International Corrosion Conference Series.
- (2019) Effect of cathodic polarization on localized corrosion of 25Cr in seawater. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 2019-March.
- (2019) Small scale testing approach to reveal specific features of slip behavior in BCC metals. Acta Materialia. vol. 174.