Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Fagområder og interessefelt
Sikkerhet og systemteknikk (systems engineering), risikoanalyser, vedlikeholdsstyring av marine systemer.
Unlocking the potential of autonomous systems and operations through supervisory risk control (UNLOCK)
Autonomous systems are emerging and essential for allowing new and challenging operations, such as mapping and monitoring of oceans and areas on land, inspections of structures difficult to access, and autonomous transportation, both land based and at sea. Autonomous functionality may be a step towards safer and more efficient operations, but software and advanced control systems also lead to risks, complexity and interlocks that are very challenging to identify, assess, and control. In the future, autonomous systems with increased intelligence will emerge. Acceptance and approval of highly intelligent systems with built-in learning and optimization capabilities require supervisory risk control and online risk modelling, testing and verification to become a driver in design, operation and overall system validation. UNLOCK addresses fundamental research challenges related to risk acceptance and supervisory risk control of autonomous systems and operations. The results of the project will support and enhance the achievement of higher-level autonomy and intelligence in advanced control systems. The aim is to achieve safe system performances and allow for widespread use of autonomous systems.
The research project is funded by FRINATEK, and is associated with the Center of Excellence NTNU AMOS. More information about the project will become available.
Reducing risk in aquaculture
This project will research and develop novel concepts for autonomous operations and technology to improve safety and efficiency in aquaculture. In particular, the project will address daily operations and inspection, maintenance, and repair (IMR) for exposed locations, but the project results will also be applicable to more sheltered fish production. Moreover, the project will assess, utilize and possibly adapt technology developed for subsea IMR in the oil and gas industry. Advances in sensor technology, robotics, ICT, and localization methods create new opportunities for reducing operators' manual workload and exposure time on the facilities at sea, for preventing fish escape, and for improving safety and operational efficiency. The project is funded by Havbruk 2 and is associated with SFI Exposed Aquaculture Operations. More information.
Involvert i studiefordypning i marin sikkerhet og driftsledelse (tidligere driftsteknikk) i det 5-årige studieprogrammet i marin teknikk. Fordypningen dekker viktig kunnskap og metoder for drift av effektive, sikre og miljøvennlige marine systemer, dvs. skip, offshore olje - og gassinstallasjoner, fiskeri og havbruk og fornybar energiproduksjon fra havet.
Mer informasjon finnes i denne brosjyren.
Risk and interdependencies in critical infrastructures. A guide for analysis.
A guideline for practitioners and a textbook for students. Springer Series in Reliability Engineering, 2012.
Editors: Per Hokstad, Ingrid Bouwer Utne, and Jørn Vatn.
(Kinesisk utgave utgitt i 2015).
Risikoanalyse. Teori og metoder (Risk analysis. Theory and methods, in Norwegian).
Utgitt av Tapir Akademisk Forlag/Akademika, 2009.
Boka gir en grundig innføring i risikoanalyse og de mest vanlige metodene som brukes i slike analyser. Boka er skrevet av Marvin Rausand og Ingrid Bouwer Utne. Formålet med boka er at den skal kunne brukes som støttebok ved gjennomføring av praktiske risikoanalyser, og som lærebok i risikoanalyse for kurs på høgskolenivå. Bokas hjemmeside.
Børge Rokseth: Safety and verification of advanced maritime vessels: an approach based on systems theory. Hovedveileder: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, biveiledere: Jan Erik Vinnem, Eilif Pedersen og Asgeir J. Sørensen (NTNU)
Jeevith Hegde: Tools and methods to manage risk in autonomous subsea inspection, maintenance and repair operations. Hovedveileder: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, biveileder: Ingrid Schjølberg (NTNU)
Martin Hassel: Risk analysis and modeling of allisions between passing vessels and offshore installations. Hovedveileder: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, biveileder: Jan Erik Vinnem (NTNU)
Edgar McGuinness: Safety in the Norwegian fishing fleet - analysis and measures for improvement. Hovedveileder: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, biveileder: Bjørn Egil Asbjørnslett (NTNU)
HyungJu Kim: Maritime safety - An analysis of accident causation and measures for reducing risk at sea. Hovedveileder: Stein Haugen, biveileder: Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Sepideh Jafarzadeh: Energy efficiency and emission abatement in the fishing fleet. Hovedveileder: Harald Ellingsen, biveileder: Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Mohammad Juned Akhtar: The effects of human fatigue on risk at sea. Hovedveileder: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, biveileder: Ross Phillips (TØI)
Lijuan Dai: Safe and efficient operation and maintenance of offshore wind farms. Hovedveileder: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, biveileder: Marvin Rausand (NTNU)
Pedro Ramirez: Aging management and life extension of technical systems. Concepts and methods applied to oil and gas facilities. Hovedveileder: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, biveileder: Tom Anders Thorstensen (Statoil/NTNU)
Preliminary title: Safety in exposed aquaculture operations
Hovedveileder: Professor Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Biveileder: Professor Stein Haugen (NTNU)
Preliminary title: Safe and reliable operation of autonomous marine systems
Hovedveileder: Professor Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Biveileder: Professor Ingrid Schjølberg (NTNU) og Professor Ali Mosleh (UCLA/NTNU)
Preliminary title: Operational safety in offshore fish farming
Hovedveileder: Professor Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Biveiledere: Professor Bjørn Egil Asbjørnslett (NTNU) and Professor Arne Fredheim (NTNU/SINTEF)
Nåværende Post Docs
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2018) A Bayesian approach to risk modeling of autonomous subsea intervention operations. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 175.
- (2018) Occupational safety in aquaculture – Part 1: Injuries in Norway. Marine Policy.
- (2018) Occupational safety in aquaculture – Part 2: Fatalities in Norway 1982–2015. Marine Policy.
- (2018) Deriving Verification Objectives and Scenarios for Maritime Systems Using the Systems-Theoretic Process Analysis. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 169.
- (2017) Improving safety of DP operations: learning from accidents and incidents during offshore loading operations. EURO Journal on Decision Processes. vol. 5.
- (2017) Allision risk analysis of offshore petroleum installations on the Norwegian Continental Shelf—an empirical study of vessel traffic patterns. WMU Journal of Maritime Affairs (JoMA). vol. 16 (2).
- (2017) LNG-fuelled fishing vessels: A systems engineering approach. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. vol. 50.
- (2017) A systems approach to risk analysis of maritime operations. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 231 (1).
- (2017) Towards Safer, Smarter and Greener Ships Using Hybrid Marine Power Plants. IEEE Electrification Magazine. vol. Sept.
- (2017) A risk model for autonomous marine systems and operation focusing on human–autonomy collaboration. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 231 (4).
- (2017) Safety performance monitoring of autonomous marine systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 159.
- (2016) Development of collision risk indicators for autonomous subsea inspection maintenance and repair. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries.
- (2016) Assessment of accident theories for major accidents focusing on the MV SEWOL disaster: Similarities, differences, and discussion for a combined approach. Safety Science. vol. 82.
- (2016) Reliability analysis of the IMO regulation - safe return to port. Ships and Offshore Structures. vol. 11 (5).
- (2016) Integration of risk in hierarchical path planning of underwater vehicles. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) Identification and analysis of deficiencies in accident reporting mechanisms for fisheries. Safety Science. vol. 82.
- (2016) Next Generation Subsea Inspection, Maintenance and Repair Operations. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2015) Common patterns in aggregated accident analysis charts from human fatigue-related groundings and collisions at sea. Maritime Policy & Management. vol. 42 (2).
- (2015) Availability centred maintenance for offshore wind farms. Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering. vol. 21 (4).
- (2015) Routing and Scheduling of Maintenance Fleet for Offshore Wind Farms. Wind Engineering : The International Journal of Wind Power. vol. 39 (1).