Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Teaching and Supervision
I’m particularly interested enhancing learning by introducing active learning methods. These include case- and problem-based learning and flipped class room for smaller classes and variations of these in large auditorium teaching. I’m also interested in developing technologies that support student learning outside the classroom. My next big goal is to introduce choose your own adventure –learning to improve the student motivation and learning in one of my courses.
I’m currently responsible for the following courses/modules:
Module TKP7 Gas purification which is a part of the course TKP 4535: Environmental Engineering and Reactor Technology, Specialization course
Additionally, I’m supervising
student groups in course TKP4170 - Process Design, Project
Master students taking specialization projects ( TKP4580 - Chemical Engineering, Specialization Project, TKP4581 - Chemical Engineering, Specialization Project)
Students doing their master theses ( TKP4900 - Chemical Process Technology, Master's Thesis)
Previous teaching responsibilities: TKP4852 EIT- Environmentally friendly mineral processing - is it possible? (2015) and TKP4852 EIT - CO2 capture (2012-2014)
My main research interest are related to acid gas removal using absorption technology. Currently, the modelling and experimental activities focuses on development and characterization (including solvent stability studies) of solvents for H2S and CO2 removal. Additionally, my team is working on fitting of thermodynamic models, modelling of absorption kinetics and process simulations.
Projects Low Energy Penalty Solvents (LEPS) and Evolutionary de novo design of absorbents with optimal CO2 capturing properties (DeNOVO) develop new solvents for CO2 capture. Additionally, faculty funded research on potential of hybrid solvents for biogas upgrading systems increases our knowledge on the interaction of different organic solvents on the performance of the amine-organic diluent blends. In 3rd Generation solvent membrane contactor – project the aim is on the improvement of absorption process with low solvent losses by developing a membrane contactor with low mass transfer resistance for CO2 and high resistance for the solvent components.
In ALIGN-CCUS and AEROSOLV –projects we are involved in activities focusing on modelling of mist behavior in the absorber. Norwegian CCS research centre, ALIGN-CCUS and the Department of Chemical Engineering support the activities on solvent degradation and corrosion focuses on identifying the amine structure giving corrosion and degradation (in the process and in the nature). SUBPRO and Gas Technology Centre NTNU-SINTEF (GTS) have been funding investigations of combined H2S is removed and hydrate control in subsea.
Finally, our laboratory infrastructure related to absorption studies are part of ECCSEL providing access for researchers outside NTNU to the intrastructure.
The laboratory equipment available for solvent characterization and development can be divided into three separate infrastructures: equipment for kinetics studies, vapor-liquid equilibria studies and solvent degradation studies.
All the equipment is part of ECCSEL-infrastructure and short overview of the equipment can be found in the ECCSEL web-pages.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2020) Measurement and prediction of oxygen solubility in post-combustion CO2 capture solvents. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control.
- (2020) Solubility of Carbon Dioxide, Hydrogen Sulfide, Methane, and Nitrogen in Monoethylene Glycol; Experiments and Molecular Simulation. Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data.
- (2020) Degradative behavior and toxicity of alkylated imidazoles. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 59 (2).
- (2020) Effect of Uncertainties in Solvent Properties on the Techno-economic Performances of a CO2 Absorber. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 81.
- (2020) Absorption of CO2 in lyotropic liquid crystals. Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals (MCLC). vol. 703 (1).
- (2020) Effect of Various Parameters on the Thermal Stability and Corrosion of CO2-Loaded Tertiary Amine Blends. Energies. vol. 13 (10).
- (2020) Hydrogen Sulfide Solubility in 50 wt.% and 70 wt.% Aqueous Methyldiethanolamine at Temperatures from 283 to 393 K and Total Pressures from 500 to 10000 kPa. Fluid Phase Equilibria. vol. 511.
- (2020) Hydrogen sulfide solubility in 50 wt% and 70 wt% aqueous methyldiethanolamine at temperatures from 283 to 393 K and total pressures from 500 to 10000 kPa. Fluid Phase Equilibria. vol. 511.
- (2020) Carbon dioxide solubility in mixtures of methyldiethanolamine with monoethylene glycol, monoethylene glycol–water, water and triethylene glycol. Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics. vol. 151:106176.
- (2020) Solubility and Heat of Absorption of CO2 into Diisopropylamine and N,N-Diethylethanolamine Mixed with Organic Solvents. Energy & Fuels.
- (2020) Mapping Diluents for Water-Lean Solvents: A Parametric Study. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research.
- (2020) From hybrid solvents to water-lean solvents – A critical and historical review. Separation and Purification Technology.
- (2020) Investigating opportunities for water-lean solvents in CO2 capture: VLE and heat of absorption in water-lean solvents containing MEA. Separation and Purification Technology. vol. 231.
- (2019) Effect of liquid viscosity on the performance of a non-porous membrane contactor for CO2 capture. Separation and Purification Technology. vol. 222.
- (2019) Kinetics of CO2 absorption into aqueous solutions of 3-dimethylamino-1-propanol and 1-(2-hydroxyethyl)pyrrolidine in the blend with 3-(methylamino)propylamine. Chemical Engineering Science: X. vol. 3.
- (2019) Vapour-liquid equilibrium study of tertiary amines, single and in blend with 3-(methylamino)propylamine, for post-combustion CO2 capture. Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics. vol. 138.
- (2019) High-Capacity Amine-Imidazole Solvent Blends for CO2 Capture. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 58 (24).
- (2019) Aminoalkyl-Functionalized Pyridines as High Cyclic Capacity CO2 Absorbents. Energy & Fuels. vol. 33 (10).
- (2019) Viscosity, Density and Volatility of Binary Mixtures of Imidazole, 2-Methylimidazole, 2,4,5-Trimethylimidazole and 1,2,4,5-Tetramethylimidazole with Water. Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data. vol. 64 (2).
- (2019) New solvent blends for post-combustion CO2 capture. Green Energy & Environment.