Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Svanæs received his Ph.D. in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) from NTNU. His research over the last 15 years has been in the fields of HCI and Interaction Design. His main focus has been on user-centered design methods and basic theory of interaction. A common theme is the importance of non-cognitive aspects of human-computer interaction – often called embodied interaction. At a practical level this involves a focus on the physical, bodily and social aspects of interaction. In his research he makes use of role play and low-fidelity prototyping in realistic settings to involve end-users in the design process.
He has built up a full-scale usability laboratory that allows for simulation of use scenarios with multiple users and multiple devices in realistic settings – primarily for the medical domain. This allows for evaluations and empirical studies of embodied interaction. The basic theory that most inspires his work is the phenomenology of the French philosopher Maurice Merleau-Ponty. This was also the topic of his 2000 PhD. By starting out with the simple fact that we are in the world through our living bodies, and that perception requires action, Merleau-Ponty gets an epistemology that he find well suited for understanding embodied interaction.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2016) Usability and acceptability of balance exergames in older adults: A scoping review. Health Informatics Journal. vol. 22 (4).
- (2015) The impact of an eHealth portal on health care professionals' interaction with patients: Qualitative study. Journal of Medical Internet Research. vol. 17 (11:e267).
- (2015) Designing for movement quality in exergames: Lessons learned from observing senior citizens playing stepping games. Gerontology. vol. 61 (2).
- (2015) A maker approach to computer science education: Lessons learned from a first-year university course. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1450.
- (2013) Human-centred methods in the design of an e-health solution for patients undergoing weight loss treatment. International Journal of Medical Informatics. vol. 82 (11).
- (2013) Interaction Design for and with the Lived Body : Some Implications of Merleau-Ponty’s Phenomenology. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction. vol. 20 (1).
- (2012) Mobile health IT: The effect of user interface and form factor on doctor–patient communication. International Journal of Medical Informatics. vol. 81 (1).
- (2012) Validating WCAG versions 1.0 and 2.0 through usability testing with disabled users. Universal Access in the Information Society. vol. 11 (4).
- (2011) Designing for the secondary user experience. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6949 (4).
- (2011) Management of Weight-Loss: Patients’ and Healthcare Professionals’ Requirements for an E-health System for Patients. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6776.
- (2010) Fidelity Considerations for Simulation-Based Usability Assessments of Mobile ICT for Hospitals. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction. vol. 26 (5).
- (2010) Usability testing of mobile ICT for clinical settings: Methodological and practical challenges. International Journal of Medical Informatics. vol. 79 (4).
- (2008) A comparison of location and token-based interaction techniques for point-of-care access to medical information. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. vol. 12.
- (2007) A comparison of location and token-based interaction techniques for point-of-care access to medical information. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing.
- (2007) Visualizing Interaction in Digitally Augmented Spaces: Steps toward a Formalism for Location-Aware and Token-Based Interactive Systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 4551.
- (1984) Test Generation through Logic Programming. Integration. vol. 2 (1).
- (2011) Proceedings of the fifth international symposium on Human Factors Engineering in Health Informatics. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2011. ISBN 978-82-519-2830-4.
- (2006) Proceedings of the Fourth Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction. ACM Publications. 2006. ISBN 1-59593-325-5.
- (2006) Proceedings of the Fourth Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI 2006). ACM Publications. 2006. ISBN 1595933255.
- (2006) Foreword: Proceedings of the 4th Nordic conference on Human-computer interaction: changing roles. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2006. ISBN 1-59593-325-5.