Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Research focus: TGF-β superfamily signaling in multiple myeloma
Our research is focused on understanding the role of transforming growth factor (TGF)-ß superfamily signaling pathways in multiple myeloma. This includes ligands such as TGF-ß, activins, BMPs and GDFs. There is extensive redundancy in this superfamily of ligands and receptors, and the effects of a given molecule will always depend on the context. Activation of the SMAD1/5 transcription factors by TGF-ß superfamily ligands induces apoptosis in myeloma cells by downregulating the oncogene c-MYC. We reviewed the role of BMP signaling in myeloma cell survival in 2014 (Figure 1). Potentiaion of SMAD1/5 activity represents therefore a possible treatment option for myeloma patients. We are also interested in the role of TGF-ß signaling in the context of the tumor microenvironment, particularly in relation to angiogenesis and dissemination. For this part we collaborate with the Bjørkøy group.
We welcome students that want to study regulation of signaling in the TGF-ß superfamily.
Figure 1. BMP signal transduction. (Reprinted from CGFR, Vol 25/Issue 3, Toril Holien and Anders Sundan, The role of bone morphogenetic proteins in myeloma cell survival, Pages No. 343-350, Copyright 2014, with permission from Elsevier)
Post doctor (multiple myeloma): Oddrun Elise Olsen
- Interview, "First person" Journal of Cell Science, 2018.
Pharmacy 2018/19: Martin Haugrud Kastnes, Nerissa Rae Booc
Erasmus trainee student: Alexander Stockhammer
Molecular Medicine 2016/17: Fekadu Alemu Atire, Samah Elsaadi
Pharmacy 2017/18: Thi Le, Fartun Hussein Ali
Erasmus Trainee student 2017: Marie-Thérèse Henke
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2018) Comparison Between 8-Methoxypsoralen and 5-Aminolevulinic Acid in Killing T Cells of Photopheresis Patients Ex Vivo. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. vol. 50 (5).
- (2018) BMPR2 inhibits activin and BMP signaling via wild-type ALK2. Journal of Cell Science. vol. 131 (11).
- (2018) Artesunate shows potent anti-tumor activity in B-cell lymphoma. Journal of Hematology & Oncology. vol. 11:23.
- (2017) TGF-β contamination of purified recombinant GDF15. PLoS ONE. vol. 12:e0187349 (11).
- (2017) Monitoring multiple myeloma by quantification of recurrent mutations in serum. Haematologica. vol. 102 (7).
- (2017) Cytotoxic Effect on Human Myeloma Cells and Leukemic Cells by the Agaricus blazei Murill Based Mushroom Extract, Andosan™. BioMed Research International. vol. 2017.
- (2016) Src family kinases are regulated in multiple myeloma cells by phosphatase of regenerating liver-3. Molecular Cancer Research. vol. 15 (1).
- (2016) Hydroxychloroquine potentiates carfilzomib toxicity towards myeloma cells. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (43).
- (2016) Intracellular glutathione determines bortezomib cytotoxicity in multiple myeloma cells. Blood Cancer Journal.
- (2016) VOLIN and KJON—Two novel hyperdiploid myeloma cell lines. Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer. vol. 55 (11).
- (2015) MYC amplifications in myeloma cell lines: Correlation with MYC-inhibitor efficacy. OncoTarget. vol. 6 (26).
- (2015) Perturbation of the c-Myc-Max Protein-Protein Interaction via Synthetic α-Helix Mimetics. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. vol. 58 (7).
- (2015) Activin A inhibits BMP-signaling by binding ACVR2A and ACVR2B. Cell Communication and Signaling. vol. 13:27.
- (2015) The proportion of CD16+CD14dim monocytes increases with tumor cell load in bone marrow of patients with multiple myeloma. Immunity,Inflammation and Disease. vol. 3 (2).
- (2015) Direct inhibition of c-Myc-Max heterodimers by celastrol and celastrol-inspired triterpenoids. OncoTarget. vol. 6 (32).
- (2015) Growth differentiation factor 15 (GDF15) promotes osteoclast differentiation and inhibits osteoblast differentiation and high serum GDF15 levels are associated with multiple myeloma bone disease. Haematologica. vol. 100 (12).
- (2014) The role of bone morphogenetic proteins in myeloma cell survival. Cytokine & growth factor reviews. vol. 25 (3).
- (2014) Bone morphogenetic protein-9 suppresses growth of myeloma cells by signaling through ALK2 but is inhibited by endoglin. Blood Cancer Journal. vol. 4.
- (2013) Lymphoma and myeloma cells are highly sensitive to growth arrest and apoptosis induced by artesunate. European Journal of Haematology. vol. 91 (4).
- (2013) A method for measurement of drug sensitivity of myeloma cells co-cultured with bone marrow stromal cells. Journal of Biomolecular Screening. vol. 18 (6).
- (2013) Targeting Proliferating Cell Nuclear Antigen and Its Protein Interactions Induces Apoptosis in Multiple Myeloma Cells. PLoS ONE. vol. 8 (7).
- (2013) HGF and IGF-1 synergize with SDF-1α in promoting migration of myeloma cells by cooperative activation of p21-activated kinase. Experimental Hematology. vol. 41 (7).
- (2012) Oncogene addiction to c-MYC in myeloma cells. OncoTarget. vol. 3 (8).
- (2012) Bone morphogenetic proteins induce apoptosis in multiple myeloma cells by Smad-dependent repression of MYC. Leukemia. vol. 26.
- (2012) Addiction to c-MYC in multiple myeloma. Blood. vol. 120 (12).
- (2011) Serum/glucocorticoid-regulated kinase 1 (SGK1) is a prominent target gene of the transcriptional response to cytokines in multiple myeloma and supports the growth of myeloma cells. Oncogene. vol. 30 (28).
- (2010) CpG-Oligodeoxynucleotide Inhibits Smad-Dependent Bone Morphogenetic Protein Signaling: Effects on Myeloma Cell Apoptosis and In Vitro Osteoblastogenesis. Journal of Immunology. vol. 185 (6).
- (2009) c-Met signaling promotes IL-6-induced myeloma cell proliferation. European Journal of Haematology. vol. 82 (4).
- (2008) Overexpression and involvement in migration by the metastasis-associated phosphatase PRL-3 in human myeloma cells. Blood. vol. 111.
- (2007) Transfeksjon av myelomcellelinjer ved hjelp av Nucleofectorteknologi. Bioingeniøren.
- (2000) Ephrin-B2 is a candidate ligand for the Eph repceotr, Eph6. FEBS Letters. vol. 466.