Katrien De Moor
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Katrien De Moor is associate professor at the department of Information Security and Communication Technology at NTNU, mainly focusing on socio-technical approaches in ICT research. She is co-Editor-in-Chief of the multidisciplinary journal “Quality and User Experience” (Springer) since 2018. Katrien received her PhD degree in Social Sciences from Ghent University (2012) with a thesis on bridging gaps in Quality of Experience research and its challenges. She has been visiting researcher at several institutions, including the University of Eindhoven, TU Berlin and NTNU (as Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellow). Katrien is passionate about user research and user involvement in user-centric innovation processes. Her main research interests and activities are linked to human-technology experiences (Quality of Experience, User Experience, User Engagement, immersive experiences…) and human-technology behavior, related methodological challenges (ecological validity, user diversity,…), as well ethical implications (e.g., data privacy, human agency, power dynamics in design processes, ecological footprint of ICT). She has published her work in a range of international, peer-reviewed journals, conferences and books; acts as reviewer for several international journals, and has served several program committees of international conferences and workshops. She is one of the 20 founding members of the Young Academy of Norway.
Activities and interests
Current research activities and interests:
- Human (and humanity)-centered next generation networking
- Human-centered design, early user involvement and embedding of human characteristics, needs and behavior into design
- Immersive technology and user experiences (UX, QoE)
- Sustainable HCI (sustainability in and through design)
- Mixed-methods user research
- Methodological challenges and experience research: ecological validity, diversity, combining implicit and explicit measures
- Longitudinal development of Quality of Experience
Supervision of PhD students, postdocs, visiting scholars and research assistants
- Kaja Ystgaard (PhD student, main supervisor), topic: Exploring User Agency, Freedom of Choice and Empowerment Mechanisms in 'Internet of Things' Systems
- Sarvesh Agrawal (visiting PhD student from DTU/Bang & Olufsen), topic: immersive media experiences and influence of human factors on immersion (Q1 2021)
- Sruti Subramanian (postdoctoral researcher), working on the TufiQoE project
- Vahiny Gnanasekaran (Research assistant, 2020-2021), topic: digital carbon footprint and user awareness
- Herborg Hatlen (Research assistant, 2020-2021), topic: digital carbon footprint and user awareness
- Helga Tenold Fridtun (Research assistant, 2021), TufiQoE project (Norway Grants)
- Anine Syrstad (Research assistant, 2021), topics: digital carbon footprint and user awareness, diversity in QoE
- Mats Morgan Langøy (Research assistant, 2021), topics: diversity in QoE, TufiQoE project
- Urooj Fatima (ERCIM fellow from 1.10.2021-30.09.2021)
Supervision of Master's students
- Praveen Kirubaharan and Martin Myhre Skavøypoll (2021). Elderly’s experiences with online and mobile banking: Investigating the role of technical and non-technical influence factors
- Ingvild Wie (start 2021). User experiences with chatbots: motivations and influence factors
- Randi Gustad and Monika Holmes (2021). Drivers and barriers for use of video-conference in online teaching for children in elementary/secondary schools
- Even Brattbak Øie (2021). Quality of Experience (QoE) of Video Consultation in the Norwegian Healthcare Sector
- Katarina Hokstad (2019). Exploring the Relation Between Mobile Network Type and Mobile Application.
- Sara Eriksen Næss (2018). User engagement with instant messaging applications: Exploring the influence of technical factors on the use of Snapchat
- Marie Haga (2018). Impact of conversation task when testing QoE in WebRTC
- Julie Alice Skøien (2018). User Engagement in Game-based Student Response Systems: A Case Study on Kahoot!
- Hege Krokås Borge (2018). Young Children and the Use of Video Chat: Exploring User Behaviour and the Influence of Technical Factors
- Henriette Kopstad (2017). Recommending activities to refugees (co-supervised with Heri Ramampiaro, Dept. of Computer Science NTNU)
- Eirik Fosser and Lars Olav D Nedberg (2016). Quality of Experience of WebRTC based video communication (co-supervised with Doreid Ammar)
- Marianne Melhoos (2016). Dashboard for Quality of Experience Studies of WebRTC Based Video Communication (co-supervised with Doreid Ammar)
- Mats Jørgensen (2015). Context-aware system to support interruptions in clinical environments: Design and evaluation through a user-centered approach (co-supervised with Joakim Klemets)
- Monika Grimstad Hafredal og Veronica Sund (2014). Sykepleieres bruk og ikke-bruk av pasientsignalsystemet ved St. Olavs Hospital: En sosioteknisk tilnærming (co-supervised with Joakim Klemets).
- Anlaug Underdal and Marthe Thorine Sunde (2014) Investigating QoE in a Cloud Based Classroom Response System - A Real-Life Longitudinal and Cross-Sectional Lab Study of Kahoot!
- Course responsible for TTM4150 "Eksperter i team: Fremtidens brukeropplevelser i en hverdag preget av digitalisering"
- Course staff member for TTM4165 "Digital Economics" (responsible for essay assignments)
- Course staff member for TTM4110 "Dependability and Performance with discrete event simulation"
- Course staff member for TTM4548 "Digital Business" (specialization course)
Current research projects
TufiQoE (2020-2023): AGH/NTNU - Towards Better Understanding of Factors Influencing Quality of Experience by More Ecologically-valid Evaluation Standards (TUFIQoE), Role: Principle Investigator on the Norwegian side, GRIEG-program, Norway and EEA Grants
Digital carbon footprint and users' willingness to sacrifice (funding: starting grant NTNU)
Societal Security and Digital Identities (lead: UiO, funding: NFR, role: partner). More info about the project can be found here.
Evaluation of lic. and PhD theses
- Ali Khodabakhsh, NTNU (2021), Evaluator and administrator of the committee, Title: Automated Authentication of Audiovisual Contents: A Biometric Approach
- Sara Vlahović, University of Zagreb (2021), External member in PhD thesis topic approval committee. Title: Assessing the Quality of Experience of Virtual Reality Games.
- Kathrin Börchert, University of Würzburg (2020). External PhD evaluator. Title: Estimating Quality of Experience of Enterprise Applications – A Crowdsourcing-based Approach
- Fenglin Han, NTNU (2020). Internal evaluator and administrator of the PhD evaluation committee. Title: Model-Driven Engineering of Complex Systems. Supporting the Design of Reactive Systems with Augmented Modeling and Verification Mechanisms.
- Sara Vlahović, University of Zagreb (2019) , External member in PhD qualifying committee. Title: QoE Assessment for Interactive Immersive AR/VR Applications
- Louis Guillermo Martines Ballesteros, KTH Royal Institute of Technology (2018), External member of the PhD evaluation committee. Title: On the Incorporation of Quality of Experience (QoE) in Mobile Networks - A technical, regulatory and business analysis
- Selim Ickin, BTH Blekinge Institute of Technology (2015), External opponent in Ph.D evaluation committee. Title: Quality of Experience on Smartphones: Network, Application, and Energy Perspectives
Link to my Google scholar profile
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2020) Personal Task Design Preferences of Crowdworkers. International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX).
- (2020) Influence of Gender and Viewing Frequency on Quality of Experience. International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX).
- (2020) QUALINET White Paper on Defifinitions of Immersive Media Experience (IMEx). arXiv.
- (2018) Akademia må satse på undervisningskarrierer. Khrono.no.
- (2018) Towards new privacy regulations in europe: Users' privacy perception in recommender systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 11342 LNCS.
- (2016) Karrièreusikkerhet tærer på unge forskere. Aftenposten (morgenutg. : trykt utg.).
- (2015) Influence of high ambient illuminance and display luminance on readability and subjective preference. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 9394.
- (2015) Dagstuhl Manifesto. Quality of Experience: from Assessment to Application. Informatik-Spektrum. vol. 38 (4).
- (2015) Patient responsibility reallocation: a user-centered approach to support nurses’ handling of nurse calls. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. vol. 19 (3-4).
- (2014) Towards innovation foresight: two empirical case studies on future TV experiences for/by users. Futures: The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. vol. 59.
Del av bok/rapport
- (2019) Young children and the use of video chat: implications for QoE research. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX 2019).
- (2018) Who Will Be the Leaders in Top Academic Positions in Entertainment Computing?. Entertainment Computing – ICEC 2018.
- (2017) Exploring diverse measures for evaluating QoE in the context of WebRTC. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX 2017).
- (2016) QoE - Defining a User-Centric Concept for Service Quality. Multimedia Quality of Experience (QoE): Current Status and Future Requirements.
- (2015) Impact of Perceived Quality and other Influencing Factors on Emotional Video Experience. 2015 Seventh International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX) Proceedings.
- (2014) Chamber QoE: a multi-instrumental approach to explore affective aspects in relation to Quality of Experience. Proc. SPIE 9014, Human Vision and Electronic Imaging XIX, 901401 (March 18, 2014).
- (2014) Factors Influencing Quality of Experience. Quality of Experience: Advanced Concepts, Applications and Methods.
- (2014) Mobile cloud storage: a contextual experience. Proceedings of the 16th international conference on Human-computer interaction with mobile devices & services.
- (2014) Quality of Experience versus User Experience. Quality of Experience: Advanced Concepts, Applications and Methods.
- (2013) Use- and QoE-related aspects of personal cloud applications: An exploratory survey. Fifth International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX 2013).