Rune Martin Holt
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Teaching and Research
Main courses taught at NTNU:
- TPG4185 Formation Mechanics (Advanced course in petroleum related rock mechanics, with focus on reservoir geomechanics, borehole stability, and sand production)
- TPG4170 Reservoir Seismics (Rock physics part of advanced course)
- PG8300 Formation Physics (PhD course on rock physics modelling)
Recent PhDs completed:
- Tore Lie Sirevaag (2019) Ultrasonic borehole logging
- Mats Rongved (2019) Numerical simulation of fracture geomechanics: Geothermal, CCS and petroleum applications
- Sohrab Gheibi (2018) Impact of faults and fractures in geomechanics of reservoir pressurization: A numerical approach
- Dawid Szewczyk (2017) Frequency dependent elastic properies of shales - Impact of partial saturation and stress changes
- Mohammad Hossain Bhuiyan (2015) Ultrasonic studies of stressed sand and clay: Roles of lithology, anisotropy and saturating fluid
- Glenn K Gabrielsen (2015) A laboratory approach to investigating wellbore instability in shale during drilling
- Morten I Kolstø (2012) Water in shale: Molecular modeling and rock physics experiments
Ongoing PhD work:
- Stian Rørheim: Elastic dispersion and attenuation in shale
- Marcin Duda: Undrained pore pressure response in shale
- Michinori Asaka: Anisotropic shale rock physics & mechanics
- Hong Yan: Geomechanics and rock physics for 4D overburden seismic
- Maksym Lozovyi: Shale as a barrier around cased wells
- Kim S Mews: 2-phase saturation and 4D seismic
Main research interest: Rock physics and rock mechanics for geoscience applications.
- Stress dependent wave velocities in reservoir and overburden rocks (relation to 4D seismics)
- Clay and shale physics
- Borehole stability and formation of natural barriers in shale
- Discrete particle modelling of sediment and sedimentary rock behaviour
My research is done in close cooperation with the Formation Physics group in SINTEF Industry, Petroleum department. I also act as a scientific advisor to SINTEF.
Below there are links to recent publications. Note also the textbook: Fjær, E., Holt, R.M., Horsrud, P., Raaen, A.M., Risnes, R. (2008) Petroleum Related Rock Mechanics. 2nd Ed. Elsevier, 491 pp . - 3rd Ed. manuscript was submitted to the publisher in 2021.
- PG8300 - Formasjonsfysikk
- TPG4920 - Petroleumsteknologi, masteroppgave
- TPG4925 - Petroleumsgeofag, masteroppgave
- TPG4570 - Petroleumsgeofag, fordypningsprosjekt
- TPG4185 - Formasjonsmekanikk
- TPG4560 - Petroleumsteknologi, fordypningsprosjekt
- TPG4565 - Petroleumsteknologi, fordypningsemne
- TPG4575 - Petroleumsgeofag, fordypningsemne
- TPG4170 - Bergartsfysikk og geofysisk overvåking
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2021) Anisotropic Wellbore Stability Analysis: Impact on Failure Prediction. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 54.
- (2021) Rock physics model of shale: Predictive aspect. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Solid Earth. vol. 126 (9).
- (2021) Use of rock‐physics analysis of well logs to determine compaction history of Cretaceous shales in the Rovuma basin, Offshore Mozambique. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 69 (6).
- (2021) Two-dimensional numerical modelling of strategies to avoid thermal stress induced flow channeling in fractured geothermal reservoirs. Geothermics. vol. 90:101978.
- (2021) On the low-frequency elastic response of Pierre Shale during temperature cycles. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 228 (2).
- (2021) Stress-path-dependent effective medium model for granular media - Comparison with experimental data. Geophysics. vol. 86 (1).
- (2021) Integrating rock physics laboratory data and modelling to improve uplift characterization methodology. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 69 (3).
- (2020) Offset dependence of overburden time-shifts from ultrasonic data. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 68 (6).
- (2020) Fracture Assessment of Quasi‑brittle Rock Simulated by Modified Discrete Element Method. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 53.
- (2020) A study of the flexural attenuation technique through laboratory measurements and numerical simulations. Petrophysics. vol. 61 (4).
- (2019) Comparing mechanical and ultrasonic behaviour of a brittle and a ductile shale: Relevance to prediction of borehole stability and verification of shale barriers. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering.
- (2019) The effect of heterogeneity on multiple fracture interaction and on the effect of a non-uniform perforation cluster distribution. Geomechanics and Geophysics for Geo-Energy and Geo-Resources. vol. 5 (3).
- (2018) Numerical analysis of mixed-mode rupture propagation of faults in reservoir-caprock system in CO2 storage. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 71.
- (2018) Anisotropic poroelasticity – Does it apply to shale?. SEG technical program expanded abstracts.
- (2018) Stress Path Dependent Velocities in Shales: Impact on 4D Seismic Interpretation. Geophysics. vol. 83 (6).
- (2018) Stress-dependent elastic properties of shales—laboratory experiments at seismic and ultrasonic frequencies. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 212 (1).
- (2018) Influence of subsurface injection on time-lapse seismic: laboratory studies at seismic and ultrasonic frequencies. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 66.
- (2018) The impact of saturation on seismic dispersion in shales — Laboratory measurements. Geophysics. vol. 83 (1).
- (2017) Effect of faults on stress path evolution during reservoir pressurization. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 63.
- (2017) Overburden pore-pressure changes and their influence on 4D seismic. SEG technical program expanded abstracts.