Emne - Planning and Design of Dams - TVM5115
TVM5115 - Planning and Design of Dams
Planning and design of dams in the context of hydropower development. The course covers the basics in dam engineering for civil engineers, including concrete and embankment dams, soil mechanics for dams and concrete technology for dams.
The course is offered in English to the students in the first year of the MSc programme Hydropower Development and third or fourth year of the siv.ing. studies in Civil and Environmental Engineering. The course covers the basic in dam engineering for civil engineers, including planning and design of concrete and embankment dams, soil mechanics for dams and concrete technology for dams. The students shall know the basic design and construction principles for various types of dams and be able to select type of dam and design and estimate the costs for a damsite after completion of the course.
The students shall have knowledge about:
- Type of dams and their characteristics
- How dam sites are selected and evaluated
- How to investigate dam foundation
- Basics of soil mechanics; settlement, seepage and aspects of stress in relation to dams and dam foundation
- Basics of concrete property and dam concrete challenges
- How to identify and quantify different loads on dams
- How to design filter and slope protection of embankment dams
- Criteria and principles of dam stability analysis
- Norwegian dam safety regulations
- How to classify dams based on impacts of possible dam failure
- How to carry out dam safety inspection, supervision and basics of emergency action planning.
Students will be able to:
- Select feasible dam site and type of dam for any hydropower project
- Calculate pore pressure, vertical and horizontal principal stress,
- Calculate settlement, time rate of consolidation of dams and dam foundation
- Carry out seepage analysis of dams and dam foundations
- Design and carryout stability analysis of dams
- Estimate dam cost based on specific site condition and type of the dam
- Calculate spillway capacity and estimate dam failure floods
- Design filter and slope protection of embankment dams
- Carryout dam safety inspection and supervision.
The students shall know the basic design and construction principles for various types of dams and be able to select type of dam and design and estimate the costs for a dam site.
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
The lecturers come from the university and the hydropower industry, all with international experience. All lectures and exercises are given in English. The topic embankment dams will be addressed through a one week seminar during one of the two activity weeks during the semester.
Mer om vurdering
If there is a re-sit examination, the examination form may be changed from written to oral.
Vurderingsmelding krever godkjent undervisningsmelding samme semester. Obligatorisk aktivitet fra tidligere semester kan godkjennes av instituttet.
Krever opptak til studieprogram:
Bygg- og miljøteknikk (MIBYGG)
Bygg- og miljøteknikk (MTBYGG)
Hydropower Development (MSB1)
Admission to the HPD MSc programme, admission to Civil and Environmental Engineering or similar. The course is a prerequisite for TVM5132 Prefeasibility Study in Hydropower Development.
Basic understanding of Fluid mechanics and Structural engineering.
"Hydraulic Structures" by P. Novak et al.
Fra serien "Hydropower Development", book No.10 Rockfill Dams, og supplerende forelesningsnotater (engelsk).
Studiepoeng: 7.5 SP
Studienivå: Høyere grads nivå
Termin nr.: 1
Undervises: HØST 2020
- Termin Statuskode Vurderings-form Vekting Hjelpemidler Dato Tid Digital eksamen Rom *
Rom Bygning Antall kandidater
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato. Hvis mer enn ett rom er oppgitt, finner du ditt rom på Studentweb.
- 1) Merk at eksamensform er endret som et smittevernstiltak i den pågående koronasituasjonen. Please note that the exam form has changed as a preventive measure in the ongoing corona situation
For mer info om oppmelding til og gjennomføring av eksamen, se "Innsida - Eksamen"