Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Our mission is to control the microworld.
Combining biotechnology and control theory, we explore feedback control of microorganisms, particularly of bacteria. Our vision is to gain control over microbiological processes and to harness the power of microorganisms for research and industrial purposes.
1. Coordinator of iFermenter, EU H2020 BBI project, 5.6 mill Euro, 2018-2022.
2. Coordinator of SafeFood, an EU project of 6 countries and 8 groups (about 2.5 mill euro, 2016-2019).
The main aim of the project is to turn food products (ready-to-eat products based on meat, fish and vegetables) safer and more durable, by reducing or inhibit the ability of Listeria monocytogenes to recover from high pressure processing (HPP). This can extend the shelf-life of food, increasing its resistance to food-related bacteria (by rendering the food “non-hospitable” for this type of bacteria) and decrease the amount of food waste from processing and throughout the food chain. Cutting edge biotechnological methods will be applied in this project.
3. Leader in ERA CoSysmed project, 5.1 mill NOK (2018-2021),
4. Head of BioSystems feedback control real-time fermentation lab
- Feedback control of bacteria (e.g. L. monocytogenes, C. glutamicum)
- Transcription og translation regulering (genutrykk) - modellering, analyse of kontroll
- Sensoriske-motoriske regulering (neuroscience)
- Genetiske nettverker
- cellular signaling (modellering av Listeria monocytogenes)
Current PhD students:
- Bahareh Nikvarpar
- Pedro Lira
Graduated students: (PhD level)
- Naresh D. Jayavelu, PhD
- Jørgen Skancke, PhD
Graduated Students (M.Sc level)
- 12 students
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2017) ISNCA: A new iterative approach for constrained matrix factorization methods. Journal of Process Control. vol. 60.
- (2016) New iterative approach (ISNCA) for constrained matrix factorization methods. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2015) A Sensory-Motor Control Model of Animal Flight Explains Why Bats Fly Differently in Light Versus Dark. PLoS biology. vol. 13 (1).
- (2015) Iterative sub-network component analysis enables reconstruction of large scale genetic networks. BMC Bioinformatics. vol. 16 (1).
- (2015) Reconstruction of temporal activity of microRNAs from gene expression data in breast cancer cell line. BMC Genomics. vol. 16 (1).
- (2015) Sequence-Dependent Promoter Escape Efficiency Is Strongly Influenced by Bias for the Pretranslocated State during Initial Transcription. Biochemistry. vol. 54 (28).
- (2014) Physiological and hormonal changes during prolonged starvation in fish. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 71 (10).
- (2014) Dynamics of Regulatory Networks in Gastrin-Treated Adenocarcinoma Cells. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (1).
- (2014) Metabolomic studies of human gastric cancer: Review. World Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 20 (25).
- (2012) Landscape of transcription in human cells. Nature. vol. 489 (7414).
- (2010) Graphical Methods for analysing feedback in biological networks - A survey. International Journal of Systems Science. vol. 41 (1).
- (2009) Analysis of protein synthesis dynamic model in eukaryotic cells: Input control. Mathematical Biosciences. vol. 219 (2).
- (2009) Long-term prediction of fish growth under varying ambient temperature using a multiscale dynamic model. BMC Systems Biology. vol. 3.
- (2008) Modeling and Control of the Protein Synthesis process in Eukaryotic cells. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes.
- (2007) Dynamic model of the process of protein synthesis in eukaryotic cells. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology. vol. 69.
- (2007) A dynamic model of nutrient Pathways, growth and body composition in fish. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 64 (12).
- (2005) More Efficient Predictive Control. Automatica. vol. 41 (8).
Del av bok/rapport
- (2013) A Noise Removal Algorithm for Time Series Microarray Data. Progress in Artificial Intelligence.
- (2012) Adaptation of the Physiological, Endocrine, and Digestive System Functions to Prolonged Food Deprivation in Fish. Comparative Physiology of Fasting, Starvation, and Food Limitation.
- (2007) A Dynamic Model of Fish Growth. 2007. ISBN 978-82-471-0623-5.
- (2015) Den mystiske flaggermusen. Researchers Night . Samarbeidsforum; NTNU. 2015-12-08.
- (2015) En dynamisk systembiologimodell forklarer forskjellen på flaggermusens flyvning i dagslys og mørket. Schrødingers katt, NRK [TV]. 2015-05-19.
- (2015) Slik flyr en flaggermus. Gemini [Fagblad]. 2015-05-28.