Mary Ann Lundteigen
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Lundteigen has a master in Technical Cybernetics (1993) and a PhD in RAMS (2009) from NTNU. She is employed as full time professor from January 1 2014 in the department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. In the period from 2014- 2016, she has headed the RAMS group, and she is now the co-director in the research driven Centre for innovation in subsea production and processing (SUBPRO) as the co-director (see www.ntnu.edu/subpro). She is also co-leader of the area "operations, maintenance, safety and security" in bru21: NTNU Research and Innovation Program on Digital and Automation Solutions for the Oil and Gas Industry (www.ntnu.edu/bru21). From June 2019, she starts as a full professor in the department of Engineering Cybernetics.
Her main research interests and topics cover: Functional and failure analysis, functional safety, reliability analysis, safe design principles with main application area with safety-instrumented systems (electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems), and the follow-up of safety-instrumented systems in the operational phase. Recent research also focuses on ensuring cybersecurity along with safety of automation and safety systems. Industry sectors focused are oil and gas sector, process sector, and to some extent railway (signaling). She is also interested in other application areas, like aviation, automotive and maritime sector, as a basis to get inspiration for transfer of knowledge and methods between different industry sectors and industry traditions.
- Professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics
- Industry experience from oil and gas industry, including a previous postion offshore (at Ekofisk) and as a principal specialist with DNV -GL in reliability and safety instrumented systems
- Applied reseach experience from SINTEF
- PhD in safety and reliability assessment of safety instrumented systems:
- Safety instrumented systems
- Instrumentation systems
- Reliability assessments
- Independence and common cause failures
- Reliability requirements in light of environmental challenges
- Safety integrity and risk acceptance
- Drilling and wellintervention systems
- Safety and equipment protection for subsea and topside oil and gas production and processing systems
- Railway signalling systems
- Machinery Safety
- SIS related standards (IEC 61508, IEC 61511, OLF 070, En 50126, EN 50129, ISO 26262, IEC 62061, etc)
- Cybersecurity related standards for automation systems: IEC 62443 series, ISA84.00.09.
Projects examples (ongoing):
- SFI SUBPRO - supervisor of PhD students, master students, and heading the RAMS area of the center
- Management of Safety and Security risks of cyber-physical systems, co-supervisor and project member of DTU-NTNU dual degree progrogram. Two PhD projects, one with host institution at DTU and one with host institution at NTNU.
- SafeT - Safety assessment framework for railway industry. NTNU member in joint industry project, headed by Bane NOR.
- Safety 4.0 - Developing framework for novel subsea concepts and technologies. To start up in May/June 2018. 1 PhD project to be launched for period 2018-2021. Joint-industry project funded by Norwegian Research project, lead by DNV-GL, with several industrial partners.
- APOS: Automatisk Prosess for oppfølging av instrumenterte sikkerhetssystemer. Joint industry project funded by the Norwegian Research Council and selected PDS forum members. 2019-2023.
- ICT security for industrial safety and automation (ICS) systems. New PhD project starting up. See paper on research focus and recommended directions.
Member of the PDS forum (www.sintef.no/pds), organizing committee NFEA (national) of "Sikkerhetssystemkonferansen", and the maintenance committee for IEC 61511.
Reliablity of safety-instrumented systems, instrumentation systems, safety assessment methods, IEC 61508, IEC 61511, related standards like Norwegian Oil and Gas guideline 070.
Slides prepared from the text book: Reliability of Safety-Critical Systems: Theory and Applications. Rausand. M. 2013. Wiley, where I have given contributions.
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2:
- Chapter 3:
- Chapter 4:
- Chapter 5:
- Chapter 6:
- Chapter 7:
- Chapter 8: (Low demand systems)
- Chapter 9: (High-demand systems)
- Chapter 10: Common cause failures
- Chapter 11: Imperfect and partial testing
- Chapter 12: Spurious activation
- Chapter 13: Ongoing
2014-: Professor, RAMS group at NTNU
2013 : Adjunct Professor, RAMS group at NTNU
2012-2013: Principal Specialist DNV-GL
2010 - 2012: Professor, RAMS group at NTNU
2009 - 2010 — Post doc position, RAMS Group at NTNU.
- Ph.D. Scholarship holder, RAMS Group.
- Awarded the ExxonMobil price for best applied doctorial thesis at the Doctoral Degree Awards Ceremony at NTNU on June 3rd 2009. See here for more information
Research Scientist, SINTEF Institute ICT, Department for Applied Cybernetics. Group leader for Safety Critical Systems. Specialist areas: Safety Critical Systems, Integrated Operations/E-field, Petroleum Industry and Railway signalling systems.
1999-2001 — Automation Engineer (Automatiseringsleder);
Responsible for Automation systems at Nidar - Campaign based maintenance.
- Offshore Supervisor Electrical & Automation department, Specialised Maintenance, Phillips Petroleum Co Norway.
- Instrument engineer, Phillips Petroleum Co Norway; Offshore support and optimisation projects of offshore installations.
- Trainee, Phillips Petroleum Co Norway.
- Publications listed in the Christin database
- PDS-forum (Aarbeidsutvalg)
- IEC 61511 maintenance team
- ROSS Gemini centre (center chair 2017->)
- Organizing committee for the annual "Sikkerhetssystemkonferansen" (Norwegian Society of Electric and Automatic Control - NFEA). See 2018 program as example.
- Hui Jin (2013): A contribution to reliability assessment of safety-instrumented systems (co-supervisor, PhD project)
- Inger Lise Johansen (2014): Risk assessment in risk-informed decision-making: Foundations, challenges, and approaches (co-supervisor, PhD project)
- Maryam Rahimi (2013): A contribution to reliability qualification of new technical equipment – with focus on subsea production equipment (co-supervisor, PhD project)
- Geir Ove Strand (2017): Well Safety: Risk Control in the Drilling Phase of Offshore Wells (main supervisor, PhD project)
- Juntao Zhang (2015->2018): Reliability in early design of subsea systems. Part of SFI SUBPRO (www.ntnu.edu/subpro) (main supervisor, PhD project)
- HyungJu Kim (2016-2018): Develop a new control and safety philosophy for operation of subsea systems (post doc). Part of SFI SUBPRO (www.ntnu.edu/subpro)
Ongoing Supervision Phd/postdoc:
- Nelson Humberto Carrras Guzman (2017-2020). Identification of Safety and Security Cascading Risks in Cyber-Physical Systems (co-supervisor, PhD student at DTU)
- Nanda Zikrullah (2018-2021). Demonstrating functional safety in novel subsea technologies. Funded by Safety 4.0. (PhD project, main supervisor)
- Lin Xie (2017-2020). Performance Analysis of Safety-Critical Systems Under a Complex Environment (PhD project, co-supervisor)
- Himanshu Srivastav (2017-2020) (PhD project in SFI SUBRO). Optimizing condition monitoring.
- Jin Zhang (2018-2020). Managing safetyand security risks of cyber-physical systems (co-supervisor, PhD student at department of Computer Science)
- Jan Sramota (2018-2020). Adaptive Multi-Channel Transmission Data Rate Control in LPWAN (co-supervisor, PhD student at Production Systems group, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering)
Master students supervised
- Plovnikova, Ekaterina (2019): Contribution to Management of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) in Furnace Water Cooling Systems on Elkem Plants
- Raden, Mailisa Fitria (2019): Use of Operational Data for SIS Follow-up Activities
- Johansen, Gunnar (2019): Reliability and Safety Assessment of All-Electric Subsea Concepts
- August, Vincent Harahap (2019): Recommendations to Improve The Quality and The Automation of The OREDA Data Process
- Hansen, Sunniva (2018). SafeT - next generation safety assessment framework for railway : development of a framework for the practical implementation and facilitation of STPA
- Zikrullah, Nanda Anugrah (2018). Prioritization Approach for Systems-Theoretic Process Analysis (PA-STPA) : Applied for Subsea Systems
- Xie, Lin (2017): Modifid Failure Rates for Safety Instrumented Systems baesd on Operational Experience from the Oil and Gas Sector
- Huse, Kristine (2017): Bruk av risikoakseptkriterier for sammenligning av traséløsninger (jernbane).
- Halvorsrud, Gunhild (2017): The Development of Risk Acceptance Criteria for Railways in Norway (Master in Continuing education program)
- koo, kwiyeon (2017): Common Cause Failure Analysis - Improved Approach for Determining the Beta Value in the PDS Method
- Kalvakunta, Raja Gopal (2017): Reliability Modelling of ERTMS/ETCS (co-supervision)
- Arismendi Torres, Renny Jose (2017): Hybrid Modelling for Dynamic Reliability Assessments in Subsea Oil and Gas Processing Systems
- Sun,Tianqi (2017: Production Availability Analysis:
Implications on Modelling due to SubseaConditions
- Ole-Henrik Dag Olsen (2016): Implementing IEC 61508 for Qualification of Safety-Instrumented Systems for Submergible Tube Bridges
- Lars Hauff (2016): Optimization of Design, Safety and Cost of Pressure Protection Systems
- Mohammad Amin Ghanooni (2015): Spurious activations of safety-instrumented systems
- Godziuk, Anna Magdalena (2015): A proposal for a RAMS engineering process for blowout preventers
- Mari Krogness Fornes (2015): Risk assessment of strait crossing bridges
- Caroline Dutard (2015): Management of SIL performance of safety-instrumented systems
- Zeba Gul (2015): Application software development for safety instrumented systems
- Ingrid Zafira Harvinia (2015): Risk Assessment and SIL Allocation of Safety Instrumented Functions for Open Water Workover System
- Eleojo Samuel Ocheni (2015): Impact of partial and imperfect testing on reliability assessment of safety instrumented systems - Possible approaches for inclusion of its effects in reliability assessments
- Yining Dong (2015): Methodology for Identification of Dangerous Combinations of Output States of SIS (co-supervisor)
- Can Li (2015): Safety Instrumented Systems on Older Facilities
- Mbah Rowland (2014): Using reliability growth testing to reveal systematic faults in safety-instrumented systems (co-supervisor)
- Åsa Snilstveit Hoem (2014): Use of field experience to improve the treatment of CCFs in reliability assessment of safety instrumented systems
- Jon Mikkel Haugen (2014) Reliability Allocation and Assessment of Safety-Instrumented Systems (co-supervisor)
- Martin Brataas (2014): Management of the integrity of safety instrumented systems
- Wilmer Alberto Aguilar Marinez (2014): Methods for determining PFD/SIL for workover control systems with short test-intervals and imperfect testing
- Tormod Danielsen Udnæs (2012): Reliability and Availability Assessment of Topologies for Subsea Control Systems
- Remi Pinker (2012): Improved methods for reliability assessments of safety critical systems: An application example for BOP systems
- Sondre Klakegg (2012): Improved methods for reliability assessments of safety-critical systems: An application example for BOP systems
- Ishita Dash (2012): Provision of Reliability Data for New Technology Equipment in Subsea Production Systems
- Henrik Finnema Moen (2012): Reliability Assessment of Safety Instrumented Systems: An Application Example For A Ballasting System
- Kristian Amundsen (2012): A method for combining well safety risk and businessimpact risk
- Ingunn Kristensen (2011):Balancing production availability and safety in subsea production systems
- Yangjiao Liao ( 2011): SIL Follow-Up in the Operational Phase of Safety Instrumented System
- Cuixin Shi (2011): Validation of non-compliant products for use with safety instrumented systems
- Astrid Folkvord Janbu (2009): Treatment of Uncertainties in Reliability Assessment of Safety Instrumented Systems (co-supervisor)
Master supervision (EVU):
- Bye, May Irene (2018). Hvordan bør sikkerhetsmål og sikkerhetskrav utformes i selskaper hvor funksjoner er distribuert?
- Halvorsrud, Gunhild (2017). The Development of Risk Acceptance Criteria for Railways in Norway.
- Rokne, Øyvind (2016). Improvements to the technology qualifiction program for subsea equipment
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2020) Conceptualizing the key features of cyber-physical systems in a multi-layered representation for safety and security analysis. Systems Engineering. vol. 23 (2).
- (2020) Utilization of risk priority number to systems-theoretic process analysis: A practical solution to manage a large number of unsafe control actions and loss scenarios. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability.
- (2020) Reliability and barrier assessment of series–parallel systems subject to cascading failures. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 234 (3).
- (2019) Analysis of simplification in Markov-based models for performance assessment of Safety Instrumented System. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 183.
- (2019) Operation-oriented reliability and availability evaluation for onboard high-speed train control system with dynamic Bayesian network. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 233 (3).
- (2019) A Comparison of Hazards and Efficiencies of Conventional and Adaptive Control Algorithms Using Systems-Theoretic Process Analysis. MATEC Web of Conferences. vol. 273.
- (2019) Modelling framework for performance analysis of SIS subject to degradation due to proof tests. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 195 (106702).
- (2019) Reliability modeling of subsea SISs partial testing subject to delayed restoration. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 191.
- (2019) Operational data-driven prediction for failure rates of equipment in safety instrumented systems: A case study from the oil and gas industry. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 60.
- (2019) Combining system-theoretic process analysis and availability assessment: A subsea case study. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 233 (4).
- (2018) Application of system-theoretic process analysis to the isolation of subsea wells: Opportunities and challenges of applying STPA to subsea operations. Proceedings - Offshore Technology Conference. vol. 6.
- (2018) Risk analysis for the design of a safe artificial pancreas control system. Health and Technology. vol. 9 (3).
- (2018) Reliability assessment for final elements of SISs with time dependent failures. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 51.
- (2018) A systems engineering–based approach for framing reliability, availability, and maintainability: A case study for subsea design. Systems Engineering. vol. 21 (6).
- (2017) Analytical formulas of PFD and PFH calculation for systems with nonconstant failure rate. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 231 (4).
- (2017) On the role of HMI in human reliability analysis of offshore drilling operations. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 49.
- (2016) Common cause failures in safety-instrumented systems: Using field experience from the petroleum industry. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 151.
- (2016) PFDavg generalized formulas for SIS subject to partial and full periodic tests based on multi-phase Markov models. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 150.
- (2016) Spurious activation analysis of safety-instrumented systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 156.
- (2016) Two-terminal reliability analysis for multi-phase communication networks. Eksploatacja i Niezawodnosc. vol. 18 (3).