Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Professor of transport economics and planning, Department of Civil and Transport Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, (Trondheim); Professor of Transport economics, Department of Economics, University College Molde and; Senior Research Economist (Norwegian Public Roads Administration).
Applied transport economics and, efficiency and productivity measurement.
- Chair and Scientific expert in peer-review committees of transportation research institutes, e.g. CTS at KTH Sweden and VTI Sweden.
- Chief transport economist/analyst (Transport Economics) at the Norwegian Public Roads Administration.
- Expert in impact assessments (benefits-cost analysis), toll financing, road pricing and environmental assessment of transportation project.
- Coordinator of impact assessment across sectors of transport encompassing rail, aviation, waterways and roads in the National Transport Plan (NTP)
- Consultant on economic assessment on multi-purpose transport schemes e.g., Oslo Package II & III.
- Expert in productivity and efficiency assessment of the public sector; has conducted several published efficiency and productivity studies in the road and public transport sector as well as other sectors e.g., ferry sector and the agricultural sector.
- Teaches and advises masters and PhD students in Transport economics and planning
- Has been commissioned by NORAD/EU/World Bank to conduct various transportation studies in developing countries e.g.,(1) the economic benefits of axle control in Zambia,(2) the economic benefits of maintaining rural road in Tanzania and (3) Evaluating the impact of increasing gasoline taxes to fund road maintenance in Tanzania – an impact assessment
- Research manager of the Norwegian valuation study encompassing value of time, health, traffic safety and environmental impacts of transportation projects.
- Fifteen years teaching experience both at The Norwegian University of Science and Technology and Molde University College.
- Frequent guest lecturer at NHH- NORWEGIAN SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION, Bodø business School, Norwegian University of Environment and Biotechnology(UMB)
- Opponent for several PhD dissertations
- Examiner of masters students
- Adviser to both doctoral and masters students
1980–1986 University of Oslo, Norway
- B.Sc. (economics and Statistics)
- M. Sc. (Economics)
1991 -1993 University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- PhD ( Applied Economics)
Present research activities
The socioeconomic role of ITS in Transport(funded by NPRA)
- The Efficiency of airports (funded by the Ministry of Transport)
- Valuation study of transport impact, e.g., value of time, accidents etc(joint funding
- Ex-post evaluation of road transport projects(Funded by NPRA)
Membership in academic and professional activities
Member of the European Transport conferences(ETC)
- Committee member of the TRB committees of Congestion Charging and Regional Economics
- Member of the EU COST project on Private Public Partnership
- Founding member of the Norwegian association of Transport economist
- Member of the Norwegian Polytechnic Union
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2019) The accuracy of benefit-cost analyses (BCAs) in transportation : an ex-post evaluation of road projects. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. vol. 120 (February).
- (2017) Tourist traffic simulation as a protected area management tool. The case of Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. Tourism Management Perspectives. vol. 22.
- (2017) Light rail transit cost performance: Opportunities for future proofing. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. vol. 100.
- (2017) Government versus toll funding of road projects : a theoretical consideration with an ex-post evaluation of implemented toll projects. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. vol. 98 (April).
- (2017) Variation in cost overruns of transportation projects : an econometric meta-regression analysis of studies reported in the literature. Transportation.
- (2017) The accuracy of toll road traffic forecasts : an econometric evaluation. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. vol. 101 (July).
- (2017) Comparing the productivity of Norwegian and some Nordic and UK container ports - An application of Malmquist productivity index. International Journal of Shipping and Transport Logistics. vol. 9 (2).
- (2017) Sustainable roads in Serengeti National Park: - gravel roads construction and maintenance. Procedia Computer Science. vol. 121.
- (2017) Do fixed links affect settlement patterns : a synthetic control approach. Research in Transportation Economics. vol. 63.
- (2017) Cost escalations in the front-end of projects – empirical evidence from Norwegian road projects. Transport reviews. vol. 37 (5).
- (2016) A framework for Organizing a Resilient Cost Benefit Analysis for Construction Projects. Procedia Engineering. vol. 145.
- (2016) Elasticities of fuel and traffic demand and the direct rebound effects : an econometric estimation in the case of Norway. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. vol. 83 (January).
- (2015) The increase of electric vehicle usage in Norway—incentives and adverse effects. European Transport Research Review. vol. 7 (34).
- (2015) Does Benefit–Cost Efficiency Influence Transport Investment Decisions?. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy. vol. 49 (3).
- (2015) Brukes samfunnsøkonomiske analyser i prioritering av vegprosjekter? : en sammenlikning av Norge og Sverige. Samfunnsøkonomen. vol. 129 (3).
- (2015) The impact of external quality assurance of costs estimates on cost overruns: Empirical evidence from the norwegian road sector. European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research. vol. 15 (3).
- (2014) Spelar samhällsekonomisk lönsamhet någon roll för infrastrukturbeslut? En jämförelse mellan Sverige och Norge. Ekonomisk Debatt. vol. 8 (42).
- (2014) Do reforms reduce the magnitudes of cost overruns in road projects? Statistical evidence from Norway. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. vol. 65.
- (2014) The socioeconomic impact of limiting heights of heavy vehicles-The case of Norway. Transport Policy. vol. 35.
- (2013) How accurate are national road traffic growth-rate forecasts?-The case of Norway. Transport Policy. vol. 27.