Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Hanna Musiol comes to Trondheim from Boston, where she taught in the English and American Studies programs at Northeastern University, the University of Massachusetts Boston, and Simmons College. Her research interests include American and Anglophone literatures, visual studies, archive and curation, digital humanities, critical pedagogy, gender studies and critical theory, with emphasis on migration, environmental humanities / political ecology, human rights, and decolonization. She has published widely on literary and visual aesthetics and rights, and her work has appeared in Journal of American Studies, College Literature, Journal of Labor and Society, Oil Culture (University of Minnesota Press), Human Rights and Literature (Routledge), Writing Beyond the State (Palgrave), and Discursive Framing of Human Rights (Routledge). She also associate-edited Cultural Studies: An Anthology (Blackwell) and was the creator and curator of the (Im)Migrant Experience Initiative (IEI), a digital archive devoted to the preservation of narratives of migration and displacement at the University of Massachusetts Boston.
Musiol has taught a wide range of undergraduate and graduate courses in American studies, Anglophone literatures, visual and cultural studies, and critical theory. She has also developed several transdisciplinary pedagogical collaborations with community and academic partners in Europe and the US, including Narrating the Global City (Boston / Trondheim); the global classroom law and literature pilot Just Fiction, co-taught with Alexandra Schultheis-Moore; Of Borders and Travelers in partnership with Kristen Over, Gianluca Gatta, Academic Guest Network / NTNU for Refugees, and the Trondheim Kommune; and, Environmental Humanities, Literature, and the “Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet” taught in collaboration with the Kunsthall Trondheim, the Academic Guest Network / NTNU for Refugees, the Trondheim Kommune, the Falstad Center, and Sissel Bergh, Krista Caballero, Marco Armiero, Henry Mainsah, and Carl Martin Faurby.
In 2015, Musiol received the PHRGE Research Fellowship at the Northeastern University School of Law. Since 2016, she has served on the Project Board of "Cruising the 1970s" funded by Humanities in the European Research Area (HERA) & HO2020. She was also a member of "Borderscapes, Memory and Migration" research project funded by The Joint Committee for Nordic Research Councils for the Humanities and the Social Sciences (NOS-HS). Since 2019, she is a member of the Managing Committee for a Writing Urban Places COST Action. She coordinates NTNU ARTEC Seminar Series.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2020) “BioArt, Research, and the Pandemic: Uncertain Histories and Unstable Futures in the Art of Anna Dumitriu,” a conversation with Anna Dumitriu and guests. NTNU ARTEC Seminar Series. NTNU ARTEC Seminar Series . NTNU ARTEC; 2020-09-03 - 2020-09-03.
- (2020) Modalities of Listening, NTNU ARTEC Seminar Series Seminar. NTNU ARTEC Seminar Series . NTNU ARTEC; NTNU. 2020-09-21 - 2020-09-21.
- (2020) Toxicity, Speculation, and Rights: Political Imagination in Mixmedia, Literary, and Cinematic Futurescapes. Writing Beyond the State: Post-Sovereign Approaches to Human Rights and Literary Studies.
- (2020) Resist as Forest: Immersive Storytelling and Public Ecological Action. Confronting a Planet in a State of Emergency: Eco-Visionaries Symposium . Royal Academy of Arts; London. 2020-10-02 - 2020-10-02.
- (2020) Human Rights, Feminism, and Literature: A Conversation with Suzanne Ibrahim. Human Rights Week . Amnesty International & Litteraturhuset i Trondheim; Litteraturhuset i Trondheim. 2020-03-06 - 2020-03-06.
- (2019) Cosmopolitan Intimacies in Nella Larsen's Quicksand. Quicksand by Nella Larsen, edited by Carla Kaplan: A Norton Critical Edition.
- (2019) Habits of Memory. Remembered Places. Perspectives from scholarship and arts. Eichstätter Europastudien, Bd. 6.
- (2019) Migrant Fictions: Cartographies, Extractive Research, Pedagogy. Bodies, Borders, Memories Seminar . University of Oslo; Oslo. 2019-03-24 - 2019-03-24.
- (2019) Place by Design: Industry, Colony, and Environmental Disobedience. Oslo School of Environmental Humanities Seminar . Oslo School of Environmental Humanities, University of Oslo; 2019-10-03 - 2019-10-03.
- (2019) Selected Bibliography, with Lauren Kurylowski and Sarah Payne. Quicksand by Nella Larsen, edited by Carla Kaplan: A Norton Critical Edition.
- (2019) Spectral Landscapes: Senses, Archives, Cocreation. ARTEC Seminar Series . NTNU ARTEC; Kunsthall Trondheim. 2019-02-14 - 2019-02-14.
- (2019) Resist as Forest. Resist as Forest [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . NTNU ARTEC; Adressaparken & Olavskvartalet, Trondheim. 2019-09-27 - 2019-09-27.
- (2019) Introduction to “Mobilized Humanities, Technology, & the Arts,” an NTNU ARTEC Seminar and workshop, with Alex Gil, Roopika Risam, and Pablo DeSoto. Mobilized Humanities, Technology, & the Arts . NTNU ARTEC; NTNU. 2019-09-02 - 2019-09-03.
- (2018) Introduction to Marco Armiero's "Welcome to the Wasteocene: Sabotaging the Anthropocene through Guerrilla Narrative,” an ARTEC Seminar Series Talk. ARTEC Seminar Series . ARTEC; Kunsthall Trondheim. 2018-09-14 - 2018-09-14.
- (2018) “Imagining What Exists": Reading Toni Morrison’s Home and Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me. The Norwegian National Library Initiative . Melhus Library; 2018-02-28 - 2018-02-28.
- (2018) Metaphors of Decryption: Designs, Poetics, Collaborations. Decrypting Power.
- (2018) Narrating Extinction: Elegies, Encyclopedias, Speculations. Anthropocene Stories: A Humanities Symposium . Envionmental Humanities Research Group, NTNU; NTNU. 2018-09-28 - 2018-09-28.
- (2018) Narratives of Extraction, Toxicity, and the Future in the Nordic Global North. Resisting Extractivism in the North . University of Tromsø; 2018-11-15 - 2018-11-16.
- (2018) To Whom It Might Concern, Sahara Chronicles, and the Emergence of New Publics. Bodies, Borders, Memories . University of Oslo; 2018-04-18 - 2018-04-18.
- (2018) Introduction to Lisa Dush’s “Digital Storytelling: Participatory Media Projects for Education, Advocacy, and Research” and “Multimodal Writing and Approaches to Mixed-Media Literature”. ARTEC Seminar Series . ARTEC; NTNU Trondheim. 2018-10-26 - 2018-10-26.
- (2018) NTNU Art and Technology Task Force (ARTEC) Report. Trondheim: Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 2018.
- (2017) Encounters in Technology, Art, & the Humanities: Imagining and Making Across Borders. NTNU Kveld . NTNU Kveld, NTNU ARTEC; 2017-11-21 - 2017-11-21.
- (2017) Evidence: Violence, Memory, Art. Holocaust Memorial Day . Falstad Human Rights Center; 2017-01-28 - 2017-01-28.
- (2017) Introduction to Technology and Emotions. Technology and Emotions . Politeknisk Forening, i/o/Lab, & NTNU ARTEC; Oslo. 2017-11-07 - 2017-11-07.
- (2017) Museum, Archives, and the Pedagogies of Justice. The Active Museum: Reflection on Technologies of Everyday / Det aktive museet: Refleksjoner om vår teknologiske hverdag . Norwegian Museum of Technology; University of Oslo. 2017-12-06 - 2017-12-06.
- (2017) Of Borders, Travelers, and Storytelling. The Humanities Symposium . Ministry of Research and Education; University of Oslo. 2017-03-22 - 2017-03-22.
- (2017) On Migration Research, Humanities Education, and Storytelling.Border Criminologies, University of Oxford Faculty of Law. Border Criminologies Blog.
- (2017) Postscript. Høre hjemme - Poesikveld i Trondheim en antologi.
- (2017) Research & Innovation: Civic Practices for the Future. Meeting with the Rektor . NTNU Rektor Office; 2017-04-18 - 2017-04-18.
- (2017) ARTEC Seminar Series: Transdisciplinary Imagination: Praxis for Ecological Futures.“Transdisciplinary Imagination: Praxis for Ecological Futures.”. ARTEC Seminar Series . ARTEC; NTNU Trondheim. 2017-09-12 - 2017-09-12.
- (2017) Environmental Digital Humanities. Environmental Digitial Humanities Seminar and Workshop . NTNU; 2017-10-30 - 2017-10-31.
- (2017) Prototype as Method in Digital Humanities. Digital Humanities Workshop . NTNU; NTNU. 2017-11-01 - 2017-11-01.
- (2016) Flyktninger grep muligheten da NTNU tilbød dem undervisning. Universitetsavisa [Avis]. 2016-11-11.
- (2016) Aesthetic Justice. Literature and Rights Symposium . University of Oslo; Oslo. 2016-11-10 - 2016-11-11.
- (2016) Big-data and Sexual Life-Writing. Gender Studies Research Marathon (March 8) . NTNU Gender Studies Research Group; Trondheim. 2016-03-08 - 2016-03-08.
- (2016) Futurescapes. Meta.Morf 2016 Biennale For Kunst and Teknologi.
- (2016) Just Fiction. Teaching Human Rights: International Student-Teacher Collabo [Internett]. 2016-02-08.
- (2016) Migration Literature. Ugress Literature Festival . Litterært Kollektiv; Trondehim. 2016-09-14 - 2016-09-18.
- (2016) NTNU gir flyktniger en ny sjanse. [En reportasje av Svein Inge Meland]. Adresseavisen [Avis]. 2016-12-31.
- (2016) Response to Saskia Sassen’s “The City, Technology, and Art”. The City, Technology, and Art: KUNO conference . KUNO and The Trondheim Academy of Fine Art; Trondheim. 2016-10-21.
- (2016) Willful Targets of Rights. Discursive Framings of Human Rights. Negotiating agency and victimhood.
- (2015) Aesthetic Justice. Association for the Study of Law, Culture and the Humanities, Georgetown University Law Center . ASLCH, Georgetown University Law Center; Washington D.C.. 2015-03-06 - 2015-03-07.
- (2015) Civic Engagement, New Media, and Critical Pedagogy. The Center for Innovative Teaching Forum, the University of Massachusetts Boston ; The Center for Innovative Teaching Forum, UMB. 2015-03-24 - 2015-03-24.
- (2015) Decrypting Urban Law. Law, Space, and the Political. Critical Legal Studies Conference . Poland; University of Wrocław. 2015-09-03 - 2015-09-05.
- (2015) Meta-Data, Life-Writing, and Comparative Literature. American Comparative Literature Association, Washington University . ACLA; Seattle, WA. 2015-03-26 - 2015-03-29.
- (2015) Response to Jochen Gerz’s “Sites of Memory are People, Not Monuments”. Trondheim Art Academy Public Lecture . Trondheim Art Academy, NTNU; Trondheim Public Library, Trondheim. 2015-11-10 - 2015-11-10.
- (2015) Sites of Human Rights Theory. The Routledge Companion to Literature and Human Rights.
- (2015) Urban Future, New Media, and Critical Pedagogy. American Studies Association of Norway Conference, University of Stavanger . ASANOR; University of Stavanger. 2015-10-22 - 2015-10-25.
- (2014) (Im)migrant Experience: Working with a Digital Archive. Working with a Digital Archive Workshop . American Studies Program, University of Massachusetts Boston; Boston. 2014-11-12 - 2014-11-12.
- (2014) “Human Rights, Aesthetics, and the Radical Archive”. American Studies Lecture . American Studies Program; University of Groningen. 2014-02-24 - 2014-02-24.
- (2014) Liquid Modernity: Sundown in Pawhuska, Oklahoma Hanna Musiol. Oil Culture.
- (2014) “Narrative Rights and the Global City”. American Comparative Literature Association Conference . American Comparative Literature Association; New York. 2014-03-21 - 2014-03-23.
- (2014) The (Im)migrant Experience Initiative. THE (IM)MIGRANT EXPERIENCE INITIATIVE [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . University of Massachussetts Boston; Boston. 2014-06-15 - 2014-08-01.
- (2013) Museums of Human Bodies. Special Issue: Human Rights and Cultural Forms. College Literature. vol. 40 (3).
- (2013) "Teaching Narratives of Passing”. National Council of Teachers of English Convention . National Council of Teachers of English; Boston. 2013-11-21 - 2014-11-24.
- (2012) Sundown and ‘Liquid Modernity’ in Pawhuska, Oklahoma. Journal of American Studies. vol. 46 (2).
- (2012) The Look of the Page: Race, Pleasure, and Femininity in Early Twentieth-Century African American Periodicals”. African and African Diaspora Studies Seminar . Boston College; Boston. 2012-10-24 - 2012-10-24.
- (2012) Transnational Labor and Aesthetic Theory in Ursula Biemann’s Geobodies. WorkingUSA: Journal of Labor and Society. vol. 15.