Vijay Venu Vadlamudi
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Dr. Vijay Venu Vadlamudi is currently Associate Professor in Electric Power System Operation and Reliability Analysis at the Department of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU. He is also the Deputy Head of Department (Education) since 2017. He obtained his M. Tech. and Ph. D. degrees from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, India, in 2006 and 2011, respectively. He was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU, from 2011-2015. Prior to this, he was a visiting researcher at the Power Systems Research Group, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, in 2010-2011. He received a number of research and teaching awards, and has been active in learned societies such as IEEE and CIGRE. He is on the Editorial Board of the journal IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, serving as Subject Editor for the field of Power System Reliability. His areas of research interest include:
- Reliability and Risk – based Power System Operation and Planning Practices
- Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power System Analysis
- Reliability – based Appraisal of Smart Grid Challenges and Realisation
- Resource Adequacy in Electricity Markets
- Electrical Energy Informatics
In the beginning, my admiration towards the stimulating aspects of Science and Technology were driven more by curiosity than by any hope of unraveling the seemingly inexplicable. And then followed the determined efforts for a systematic and logical pursuit of the facts. In course of this journey, the guidance and encouragement of my teachers and mentors, which were laden with ingenuity, patience and concern, sowed in me a dream: that of being a teacher and mentor myself. With my role models in place thus through their compelling impact, I am intent on architecting my own journey further, towards mentoring the future engineers/teachers/researchers.
Teaching is my passion, and research broadens my horizons of knowledge and competency.
- Infrastructure for Energy Transmission and Distribution (Infrastruktur for energitransport) TET4155 (Course Instructor - earlier editions)
- Power System Analysis TET4115 (Course Coordinator & Instructor)
- Advanced Power System Analysis ELK16 (Course Coordinator & Instructor - earlier editions)
- Experts in Teamwork TET4853 (2017) (Leader, Theme: Sustainable Energy and Society)
- Quality of Supply in Electrical Power Systems ELK10 (Guest lectures, earlier editions)
- Power System Reliability and Security ET8207 (Course Coordinator & Instructor)
Problem domain of my research, and its importance as I view it:
The current research focus across the world in power systems is on the resulting technical and economic challenges brought on by embracing smarter design and operating paradigms of power systems. However, an equally imminent need is being widely and rapidly acknowledged, which explicitly deals with power system reliability as an objective rather than as a constraint. In this regard, probabilistic frameworks are vital to the consequent reliability studies, whose results can in turn lead to the adoption of risk and reliability based power system operation and planning practices.
My main research vision:
I harbor a research vision, which seeks to address the following questions:
“How can security of power systems be realized through the application of probabilistic methods? What can be done to advance the theoretical and practical knowledge frontiers in the field of power system reliability in better handling uncertainties? What research contributions will enable power system planners and operators to embrace a probabilistic reliability management methodology in practice?”
Presently, I am supervising two PhD students
- Sondre Johan Kjellin Berg ("Optimal Design, Operation and Control of Microgrids for Security of Supply")
- Mostafa Barani ("Reliability Studies in ICT-dominated Power Systems")
I am also the co-supervisor for Fredrik Bakkevig Haugli ("Distributed and Centralized Control to Support Smart Grid Operation with High Qquality in a Cost-efficient Way"), Marthe Fogstad Dynge ("Blockchain Technology and Optimization Algorithms for the Future Local Energy Market"), and Ugur Halden ("Electrical Energy Informatics for Transactive Energy and Flexibility Mechanisms at Power System Transmission and Distribution Levels").
- Salman Zaferanlouei, Hossein Farahmand, Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, and Magnus Korpås, “BATTPOWER Toolbox: Memory-Efficient and High-Performance Multi-Period AC Optimal Power Flow Solver,” Accepted for publication, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Jan. 2021.
- Mostafa Barani, Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, and Poul E. Heegaard, “Reliability Analysis of Cyber-Physical Microgrids: Study of Grid-Connected Microgrids with Communication-Based Control Systems,” Accepted for publication, IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Dec. 2020.
- Sondre Johan Kjellin Berg, Fredrik T. B. W. Göthner, Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, and Dimosthenis Peftitsis, “Investigation of the Effect of Operating Conditions on Reliability of DC-link Capacitors in Microgrids”, IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference, The Hague, The Netherlands, Oct. 2020, pp. 1-5.
- Sondre Johan Kjellin Berg, Fredrik T. B. W. Göthner, Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, and Dimosthenis Peftitsis, “The Effect of Non-optimal Operating Conditions on Reliability of Inverters in Microgrids”, IEEE 11th International Symposium on Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems, Dubrovnik, Croatia, Sep./Oct. 2020, pp. 1-5.
- Book Chapter: “DC and AC Contingency Solvers in Composite Power System Adequacy Assessment” published in the book titled “Advances in RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety) Engineering,” 2020, Springer, ISBN 978-3-030-36517-2. (Chapter authors: Øystein Stake Laengen and Vijay Venu Vadlamudi)
- Vijay Venu Vadlamudi and Gerard Doorman, “Interconnector Participation in Capacity Mechanisms: A New De-rating Approach,” Proc. 14th Intl. Conference on the European Energy Market, Dresden, Germany, Jun. 2017, pp. 1-6.
- PACME Working Group of the IEEE PES RRPA Subcommittee, “Research on Common-Mode and Dependent (CMD) Outage Events in Power Systems– A Review,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 1528-1536, Mar. 2017.
- Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, Camille Hamon, Oddbjørn Gjerde, Gerd Kjølle, and Samuel Perkin, “On Improving Data and Models on Corrective Control Failures for Use in Probabilistic Reliability Management,” Proc. 14th Intl. Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems, Beijing, China, Oct. 2016, pp. 1-6.
- Oddbjørn Gjerde, Gerd Kjølle, Sigurd Jakobsen, and Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, “Enhanced Method for Reliability of Supply Assessment – An Integrated Approach,” Proc. 19th Power Systems Computation Conference, Genoa, Italy, Jun. 2016, pp. 1-7.
- Book Chapter: “Reliability-Centric Studies in Smart Grids: Adequacy and Vulnerability Considerations” published in the book titled “Reliability Modeling and Analysis of Smart Power Systems,” 2014, Springer, ISBN 978-81-322-1797-8. (Chapter authors: Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, Rajesh Karki, Gerd Kjølle, and Kjell Sand.)
- Technical Report: Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, Oddbjørn Gjerde, and Gerd Kjølle, “The Impact of Protection Systems on Power System Reliability,” SINTEF Energy Research Technical Report TR A7439, Norway, Nov. 2014.
- Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, Oddbjørn Gjerde, and Gerd Kjølle, “Impact of Substation Configuration on Protection System Failure Propagation and its Effect on Reliability of Supply,” Proc. 18th Power Systems Computation Conference, Wroclaw, Poland, Aug. 2014, pp. 1-8.
- Vijay Venu Vadlamudi, Oddbjørn Gjerde, and Gerd Kjølle, “Impact of Protection System Reliability on Power System Reliability: A New Minimal Cutset Approach,” Proc. 13th Intl. Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems, Durham, United Kingdom, Jul. 2014, pp. 1-6.
- Vijay Venu Vadlamudi and Rajesh Karki, “Reliability-based Appraisal of Smart Grid Challenges and Realization,” Proc. IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, San Diego, USA, Jul. 2012, pp. 1-7.
- V. Vijay Venu and A. K. Verma, “A Probabilistic Transmission Pricing Methodology Considering Transmission Reliability Margins,” International Journal of Systems Assurance Engineering and Management, Vol. 1. No. 2, pp. 113-119, Jun. 2010.