Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I am a New Zealander living in Norway. I started programming games at the age of 10 on a ZX spectrum, and did my first commercial programming at 16 (an invoicing system for a local hardware store). I studied at the University of Otago majoring in Computer Science with accompanying Mathematics, Psychology, and Philosophy. In 2007 I moved to Norway to work commercially as a game developer in a small startup company. After 2 years of working in various companies I returned to academia in 2009 and now work for NTNU.
My research is focused on:
- Serious Game, particularly Games for Health.
- Professional Programming
- Virtual Reality
- Asking good questions "Questions explore the future, answers record the past"
- Traction Trebuchet (Medieval Seige Weapon from the 9th century)
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2018) Enhancing Software Engineering Education with Game Design and Development. International journal of engineering education. vol. 34 (2).
- (2017) The Smartkuber Case Study: Lessons Learned from the Development of an Augmented Reality Serious Game for Cognitive Screening. Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and Computer Graphics - 4th International Conference, AVR 2017, Ugento, Italy, June 12-15, 2017, Proceedings, Part I.
- (2016) Augmented Reality Cubes for Cognitive Gaming: Preliminary Usability and Game Experience Testing. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SERIOUS GAMES. vol. 3 (1).
- (2016) "Smartkuber": A Serious Game for Cognitive Health Screening of Elderly Players. Games for Health Journal. vol. 5 (4).
- (2016) Evaluating a Gaming System for Cognitive Screening and Sleep Duration Assessment of Elderly Players: A Pilot Study. Games and Learning Alliance - 5th International Conference, GALA 2016, Utrecht, The Netherlands, December 5–7, 2016, Proceedings.
- (2015) Connecting the player to the doctor: utilising serious games for cognitive training & screening. DAIMI PB. vol. 597.
- (2015) The use of smartwatches for health monitoring in home-based dementia care. Human Aspects of IT for the Aged Population. Design for Everyday Life.
- (2014) Learner Profiling for Innovation Education Across Disciplines: A Work In Progress Paper. International Conference on Web & Open Access to Learning, ICWOAL, 2014.
- (2014) Augmented Reality Cube Game for Cognitive Training: An Interaction Study. pHealth 2014: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Wearable Micro and Nano Technologies for Personalized Health, 11–13 June 2014, Vienna, Austria.
- (2013) The Table Mystery: An Augmented Reality Collaborative Game for Chemistry Education. Serious Games Development and Applications 4th International Conference, SGDA 2013, Trondheim, Norway, September 25-27, 2013. Proceedings.
- (2013) Emotion Recognition for Mobile Devices with a Potential Use in Serious Games for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Serious Games Development and Applications 4th International Conference, SGDA 2013, Trondheim, Norway, September 25-27, 2013. Proceedings.
- (2013) A Taxonomy of Serious Games for Dementia. Games for Health: Proceedings of the 3rd european conference on gaming and playful interaction in health care.
- (2013) Augmented Reality and Gesture-based Architecture in Games for the Elderly. pHealth 2013 : Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Wearable Micro and Nano Technologies for Personalized Health, June 26–28, 2013, Tallinn, Estonia.
- (2013) Dementia Games: A Literature Review of Dementia-Related Serious Games. Serious Games Development and Applications 4th International Conference, SGDA 2013, Trondheim, Norway, September 25-27, 2013. Proceedings.
- (2013) WebTics: A Web Based Telemetry and Metrics System for Small and Medium Games. Game Analytics: Maximizing the Value of Player Data.
- (2012) Realtime Estimation of Illumination Direction for Augmented Reality on Mobile Devices. Twentieth Color and Imaging Conference: Color Science and Engineering Systems, Technologies, and Applications. Final program and proceedings. November 12-16, 2012; Los Angeles, California.
- (2012) Biometric Access Control using Near Field Communication and Smart Phones. 5th IAPR International Conference on Biometrics (ICB), Proceedings; March 29 - April 1, 2012 New Delhi, India.
- (2004) A robust method for distinguishing between learned and spurious attractors. Neural Networks. vol. 17 (3).
- (1999) The consolidation of learning during sleep: comparing the pseudorehearsal and unlearning accounts. Neural Networks. vol. 12 (7).
- (1998) Catastrophic forgetting and the pseudorehearsal solution in Hopfield type networks. Connection science (Print). vol. 10.