Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
(M’04-SM'12) received Ph.D. degree in Mechanical and Electronic Engineering in 2003. From 2004, he worked as Postdoctoral Fellow at the Institute of Technical Aspects of Multimodal Systems (TAMS), Department of Informatics, Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences, University of Hamburg, Germany. In Feb. 2011, he finished the Habilitation on Informatics at University of Hamburg.
Dr. Zhang joined the NTNU ( before 2016, Aalesund University College), Norway in April 2011 where he is a Professor on Robotics and Cybernetics. From 2011-2016, he hold a gift professorship on product and system design from the industry too. The focus of his research lies on two areas. One is on biological robots and modular robotics. The second focus is on virtual prototyping and maritime mechatronics. In these areas, he has published over 130 journal and conference papers and book chapters as author or co-author. Recently, he received four best paper awards at the Robotic conferences, and four finalist awards for best conference paper at IEEE Robotics and Automation conferences.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (2000-Present)
01/2016-present, Professor, Department of Ocean Space Operations and Building Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
04/2011-12/2015, Professor, Faculty of Maritime Technology and Operations, Aalesund University College, Norway
04/2011-03/2016, Gift Professorship, Norwegian Centre of Expertise
02/2004-3/2011, Postdoctoral research follow/ Lecturer at the Institute of Technical Aspects of Multimodal Systems, Department of Computer Science, University of Hamburg, Germany.
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE (2007-Present, partly)
06/2015-05/2022, Key applicant, Centers for Research-based Innovation (SFI) project, “Marine operations Centre for Research Based Innovation”, our department as the coordinator of this SFI. (Total budget: 190 Million NOK).
06/2015-05/2022, Key member in WP3 and WP4, Centers for Research-based Innovation (SFI) project “Offshore Mechatronics”. (Total budget:190 Million NOK).
06/2017-06/2018, PI pf RFFMIDT project “An Integrated Sensor Fusion System for Fatigue and Awareness Assessment in Demanding Marine Operation”, Project partners: Offshore Simulation Center (Total budget: 1.6 M NOK).
01/2016-12/2017, PI of GCE Blue Innovation grant project “Virtual prototyping system winch”, Project partners include Seaonics AS and Offshore Simulation Centre. (Budget: 800 K NOK).
01/2016-12/2016, PI of VRI grant project, “A Mini SAR module for oil spill detection” with Ocean Visuals AS as the project partner (Total budget: 400 K NOK).
01/2016-12/2016, PI of VRI grant project, “Kunstig Intellignes for Vinsjdesign (KIV)” with Seaonics AS as the partner (Total budget: 400 K NOK).
01/2014-12/2016, PI of Innovation project in the business section-MAROFF “Next Generation Simulator for Marine Crane Design and Operations-Virtual Crane Prototyping System”, Project partners: Rolls-Royce Marine AS, Offshore Simulation Centre (Total budget: 5.4 M NOK).
01/2016-03/2017, Project coordinator, RFFMIDT project “An Approach toward Optimal Control of Ship Maneuvering in Offshore Operations”, Project partners: Rolls-Royce Marine AS, Offshore Simulation Center, (Total budget: 1.0 M NOK).
04/2014-03/2015, PI of RFFMIDT project “A UAV SAR System for Oil Spill Detection in the Arctic”, Project number: 235283 (Total budget: 1.0 M NOK).
01/2016-06/2017, Project coordinator, an international cooperation project, “Ultrasonic testing instrument for rail flaw detection robot”, Shanghai Shen Hang IMP. EXP. Co. LTD. (Total budget: 133 K Euro).
01/2012-12/2012, PI of Regional pre-project (Forprosjekt-RFFMIDT), “A Novel Climbing Robot System for Ship Anti-fouling, Cleaning and Inspection”.
01/2012-12/2013, Coordinator of Innovation project in the business section-MAROFF, ES486092, “A Novel Integrated Anti-sway System for Rolls-Royce Marine Shipboard Cranes”.
01/2012-12/2013, Coordinator of Innovation project in the business section-MAROFF, ES486092, “A Flexible and Common Control Architecture for Rolls-Royce Marine Cranes and Robotic Arms”.
2/2007-present, PI of the project “Biologically Inspired Modular Climbing Caterpillar Robot Using Passive Adhesion” [Funded by Germany DFG, No.U4604-DFG-10-01]
Best Technical Paper of CLAWAR 2015, 18th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots and the Support Technologies for Mobile Machines, Hangzhou, China.
Best Conference Paper in Information of 2014 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation (ICIA2014).
Best Student Paper of 2014 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation (ICIA2014).
Best Conference Paper of 2008 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Xi’an, China;
Finalist for Best Conference Paper of 2009 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Singapore;
Finalist for Best Student Conference Paper of ICIA2008, Zhangjiajie, Hunan, China;
Finalist for Best Conference Paper of 2007 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, ETH Zurich , Switzerland;
Finalist for Best Conference Paper of 2006 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, Kunming, China.
CURRENT PHD CANDIDATES
Yingguang Chu. Virtual prototyping simulator for marine operation systems – product and system design and operational applications. Supervision with Vilmar Æsøy (NTNU Aalesund), Sören Ehlers (TUHH).
Robert Skulstad. Data-based Ship Motion Prediction in Offshore Operations. Supervision with Thor I. Fossen (NTNU), Bjørnar Vik (Rolls-Royce Marine AS)
Thiago Gabriel Monteiro. A Cross-modal Integrated Sensor Fusion System for Fatigue and Awareness Assessment in Demanding Marine Operations. Supervision with Charlotte Skourup (Head of R&D, ABB).
Lars Ivar Hatledal. Protocols and Standard for Integration of Simulation Models and Co-simulation. Supervision with Geir Hovland (UiA).
Andre Ellefsen. Smart Marine Operation and Maintenance of Ships- Conditional based Decision Support. Supervision with Vilmar Æsøy (NTNU Aalesund), Sergey Ushakov (NTNU Trondheim).
Xu Cheng. Sensitivity analysis and quality assessment of ANN models for ship motion prediction.
GRADUATED DOCTORAL CANDIDATES
Cong Liu. Multimodal Product Design-A Development of Engineering Design Models in Systematic Approach. Supervision with Hans Petter Hildre (NTNU Aalesund), Terje Rølvåg (NTNU), 2016.
Filippo Sanfilippo. Alternative and Flexible Control Methods for Robotic Manipulators. main supervisor Kristin Y. Pettersen (NTNU), 2015.
Guoyuan Li. Hierarchical Control of Limbless Locomotion Using a Bio-inspired CPG Model, main supervisor Jianwei Zhang (UHH), 2013.
Junhao Xiao. Planar Segments Based Three-dimensional Robotic Mapping in Outdoor Environments. main supervisor Jianwei Zhang (UHH), 2013.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2017) Neural-network-based modelling and analysis for time series prediction of ship motion. Ship Technology Research. vol. 64 (1).
- (2016) Enhancement of virtual simulator for marine crane operations via haptic device with force feedback. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9774.
- (2016) Product architecture design of multi-modal products. Research in Engineering Design. vol. 27 (4).
- (2016) Integrated Flexible Maritime Crane Architecture for the Offshore Simulation Centre AS (OSC): A Flexible Framework for Alternative Maritime Crane Control Algorithms. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. vol. 41 (2).
- (2015) An ultra-high-speed FPGA based digital correlation processor. IEICE Electronics Express. vol. 12 (8).
- (2015) Integrated multi-domain system modelling and simulation for offshore crane operations. Ship Technology Research. vol. 62 (1).
- (2015) Online learning control of surface vessels for fine trajectory tracking. Journal of Marine Science and Technology.
- (2015) Hierarchical control of marine vehicles for autonomous maneuvering in offshore operations. Ship Technology Research. vol. 62 (2).
- (2015) Analysis and Design of Asymmetric Oscillation for Caterpillar-Like Locomotion. Journal of Bionic Engineering. vol. 12 (2).
- (2015) Conceptual design of multi-modal products. Research in Engineering Design. vol. 26 (3).
- (2015) DUBLETT - Conceptual design of multi-modal products. Research in Engineering Design.
- (2015) Controlling Kuka Industrial Robots : Flexible Communication Interface JOpenShowVar. IEEE robotics & automation magazine. vol. 22 (4).
- (2015) A wave simulator and active heave compensation framework for demanding offshore crane operations. Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE). vol. 2015-June (June).
- (2014) A waypoint-tracking controller for a bionic autonomous underwater vehicle with two pectoral fins. Advanced Robotics. vol. 28 (10).
- (2014) Development of adaptive locomotion of a caterpillar-like robot based on a sensory feedback CPG model. Advanced Robotics. vol. 28 (6).
- (2014) An approach for adaptive limbless locomotion using a CPG-based reflex mechanism. Journal of Bionic Engineering. vol. 11 (3).
- (2014) An FPGA-based real-time UAV SAR raw signal simulator. IEICE Electronics Express. vol. 11 (11).
- (2013) The Mechanical Properties of a Wall-Climbing Caterpillar Robot Analysis and Experiment. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems. vol. 10 (34).
- (2013) Planar segment based three-dimensional point cloud registration in outdoor environments. Journal of Field Robotics. vol. 30 (4).
- (2013) Three-dimensional point cloud plane segmentation in both structured and unstructured environments. Robotics and Autonomous Systems. vol. 61 (12).
- (2012) Intelligent Lighting Control for Vision-Based Robotic Manipulation. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (1982. Print). vol. 59 (8).