Emne - Molekylær fysiologi: mekanismer og metoder - MOL8001
MOL8001 - Molekylær fysiologi: mekanismer og metoder
Karakter: Bestått/ Ikke bestått
The course is targeted at PhD students and MD research-line students (Forskerlinjestudenter), included, but not limited to, the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
PhD is abbreviation of "Philosophiae doctor" in Latin or "Doctor of Philosophy" in English. "Phylosophia" is "love of wisdom" in Greek. Every student has individualized PhD program, and this course will focus on way of thinking, methodology and methods in general and on molecular, cellular and integrative physiology, biology and medicine in particular.
"Science is built up of facts, as a house is built of stones; but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." (Henri Poincaré ,1854-1912). Good PhD research is anchored on a sound research question(s) and follows a systematic, appropriate research methodology and methods to ensure that PhD thesis will make an original contribution to knowledge within the academic discipline. This course will provide basic knowledge about state-of-the-art technologies that can be used in either hypothesis-generation or hypothesis-driven research, particularly in understanding molecular mechanisms.
After completing the course, the student
- Will have an overview of research methodology in general, and systems biology and systems medicine in particular.
- Will know how to perform next generation sequencing technology and applications.
- Will know how to use single cell approaches to study normal and disease tissues.
- Will understand systems biology, particularly from sequences to systems.
- Will know how to perform mass spectrometry-based proteomics.
- Will know approaches of tissue microarray, multi-omics, and stem cell technologies (e.g., organoids).
- Will know approaches from cancer type to sequencing - the road to precision medicine.
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
Lecturing will be a dominant teaching method. In addition, there will be exercise in groups and discussions with tutors on how to apply the methodology and methods in student’s own PhD research. The course can be flexible and have individual activities depending on number of registered students. Final exam will be an oral presentation of what the student has learned during the course. The student's effort during the course will also be considered in the exam evaluation.
- Øving (i gruppe)
Mer om vurdering
- Exercise (in groups)
Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Obligatorisk aktivitet fra tidligere semester kan godkjennes av instituttet.
Basic knowledge in physiology, molecular biology and molecular cell biology equivalent to MOL4010, BI1001, BI1004, BI1005, BI2012, BI2014, ZO2020, BO2020 and BI3016.
Admission requirements: Master degree or similar. Medical students at The Student Research Programme. Candidates with a lower degreee will be assessed individually. (Compare with Reccommended prev. knowledge)
Reviews, original articles and prints of the lecture ppt with note pages.
Studiepoeng: 4.5 SP
Studienivå: Doktorgrads nivå
Termin nr.: 1
Undervises: HØST 2022
- Atle Magnar Bones
- Chun Mei Zhao
- Lars Hagen
- Morten Beck Rye
- Oluf Dimitri Røe
- Timothy Cragin Wang
- Vidar Beisvåg
Institutt for klinisk og molekylær medisin
- Termin Statuskode Vurdering Vekting Hjelpemidler Dato Tid Eksamens- system Rom *
- Høst ORD Muntlig 100/100 01.12.2022 08:00
Rom Bygning Antall kandidater
- Vår ORD Muntlig 100/100
Rom Bygning Antall kandidater
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato. Hvis mer enn ett rom er oppgitt, finner du ditt rom på Studentweb.
For mer info om oppmelding til og gjennomføring av eksamen, se "Innsida - Eksamen"