Emne - Biobanking - MOL3009
MOL3009 - Biobanking
Undervises ikke studieåret 2023/2024
This course will focus on the following topics:
- Biobanks: classifications, common and distinctive features of the different types of biobanks
- National regulations and international conventions concerning biobanks, use of human biological materials and personal data
- Research biobanks: formal and practical aspects of the establishment, operation and use
- Ethical aspects of utilization of human biological materials; The role of Research Ethics Committees
- Different types of consent as basis for biobanking; alternatives to consent
- Logistics and quality management; quality assurance and quality control of collection, storage , retrieval and use of samples
- Methods for analysis of human biological materials; assessment and interpretation of data
- Extraction and quality assessment of DNA and/or RNA from various sources
- Collection and storage of data; databases and data security
- Statistical and epidemiological methods in biobank related research
- The role of biobanks in health surveys like HUNT, Mother-Child etc.
- Research for the future: National and transnational genetic and epidemiological research collaboration.
After completing the course MOL3009, the student should be able to:
- describe and explain universal and special features of the different types of biobanks
- explain the different conditions and requirements that must be fulfilled with regard to operation and use of research biobanks
- describe quality management, quality assurance, logistics and data management related to biobanks
- discuss ethical issues and policy guidance regarding research involving human biological materials
- outline the main features of laws and other directives which are relevant for biobanking
- discuss the use and the potential utility values of biobanks
- outline how to establish and operate a biobank
- describe in detail the application process for the establishment of a research biobank
- sketch the plan for a research project using human biological material
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
Lectures, seminar, group exercises, laboratory exercise, excursion, term paper. The language of teaching and examination is English. If less than 5 students students sign up, the course will be cancelled.
- Seminar / Ekskursjon, besøk / Laboratorieoppgave / Semesteroppgave
Mer om vurdering
Retake of exam: The student must have completed the mandatory activities and assignments to take the exam.
Students with legitimate leave of absence at the final examination and students who receive the grade F may re-sit the examination in the following semester.
Basic knowledge in Medical Genetics and Cell Biology.
Collection of articles, chapters from various books and official documents.
Studiepoeng: 7.5 SP
Studienivå: Høyere grads nivå
Institutt for klinisk og molekylær medisin
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato. Hvis mer enn ett rom er oppgitt, finner du ditt rom på Studentweb.
For mer info om oppmelding til og gjennomføring av eksamen, se "Innsida - Eksamen"