Emne - Social Studies of Children and Childhood - BARN3101
BARN3101 - Social Studies of Children and Childhood
Vurderingsordning: School exam
|School exam||100/100||4 timer||E|
Framed by Social Studies of Children and Childhood (Sociology of childhood), the course addresses theoretical perspectives, key concepts and ongoing debates in Childhood studies. This includes children and childhood as socially, culturally and historically constructed, children's perspectives and active contribution in defining and giving meaning to their lives. Further, this course addresses children's lived lives, generational relations and the importance of context as well as issues at a structural and political level that have implications for children and childhood. This course addresses childhood as a social phenomenon in time and space, and how children are both shaped by and themselves shape their childhood experiences as these unfold within diverse societal and daily life conditions, practices, power and generational relations. Central issues to be explored in this course are images and understandings of children and childhood as well as children's meaning-making processes, and experiences in relation to peer activities and adult organization of their lives. The course further attends to interrelations of childhood and culture, power, gender, social class, ethnicity and disability.
By the end of the course the student:
- Has obtained in-depth knowledge of theoretical perspectives, concepts and ongoing debates in the interdisciplinary Social Studies of Children and Childhood.
- Has obtained an understanding of why Social Studies of Children and Childhood emerged as a research field, as a critical approach to mainstream theorizing of children and childhood.
- Can critically examine childhood as a social, cultural and historical phenomenon, and obtain an understanding of the ways children's everyday lives and wellbeing is related to cultural, societal and political circumstances in changing societies.
- Has the ability to critically approach and deconstruct views, understandings, discourses and theorizations of children and childhood.
- Has developed the ability to question implicit and taken-for-granted assumptions.
- Has developed skills of conceptualizing/theorizing childhood in different contexts.
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
Lectures, seminars and group work.
Attending lectures and other teaching activities are compulsory.
Minimum 80% attendance of lectures is required.
Total lecture hours: Minimum 20 hours.
- Obligatory attendance (80%)
- Group assignment
Mer om vurdering
Students who have completed compulsory activities do not have to do these again before re-sitting the exam.
Admittance to the course requires a bachelor's degree in social science or equivalent.
Information will be given at the beginning of the semester.
Studiepoeng: 7.5 SP
Studienivå: Høyere grads nivå
Termin nr.: 1
Undervises: HØST 2022
- Samfunnsvitenskapelige fag
Institutt for pedagogikk og livslang læring
Vurderingsordning: School exam
- Termin Statuskode Vurdering Vekting Hjelpemidler Dato Tid Eksamens- system Rom *
- Høst ORD School exam 100/100 E 06.12.2022 09:00 INSPERA
Rom Bygning Antall kandidater SL215 Sluppenvegen 14 14
- Vår ORD School exam 100/100 E 24.05.2023 09:00 INSPERA
Rom Bygning Antall kandidater SL210 Sluppenvegen 14 2
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato. Hvis mer enn ett rom er oppgitt, finner du ditt rom på Studentweb.
For mer info om oppmelding til og gjennomføring av eksamen, se "Innsida - Eksamen"