Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I work in philosophy of science, ethics of technology and art-based approaches to philosophy and responsible research and innovation (RRI). I have worked as an "embedded philosopher" in different interdisciplinary science projects, including in complexity science, systems biology, and biotechnology. I want to understand and help exercise response-abilities in science, through humanities and arts resources.
My research has received RCN, NSF, Max Planck and White funding. From April 1st 2020 I will be leading the four-year KLIMAFORSK project MEATigation: Towards sustainable meat-use in Norwegian food practices for climate mitigation (website coming soon). The project is a collaboration across the Social Sciences Humanities and Arts and Norwegian business and cultural actors with the aim to explore and transform Norwegian food practices towards reducing meat use.
At NTNU I am a member of the Decolonial Research Group, the Research group on the Ethos of Technology RESET, and the Steering Group for Biotechnology RRI. I coordinate the Research group for APPlied Ethics RAPP. I was an invited Visiting Scholar at the University of California, San Diego Institute for Practical Ethics in Spring and Summer 2018. In the fall of 2020 I will be participating in the Cornell University Biennial with the composition and performance piece Generators, developed with M. Papalexandri-Alexandri and P. Lang.
I hold a first degree in Mathematics and Physics (Warwick, 2000), an MA in Philosophy (2006) and PhD in Philosophy and Science Studies (2009) from University of California, San Diego on The use of race as a variable in biomedical research
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2019) Scientific knowledge in the age of computation: Explicated, computable and manageable?. Theoria. An international Journal of Theory, History and Foundations of Science. vol. 34 (2).
- (2019) Getting our hands dirty with technology -The role of the performing arts in technological development. Peripeti. vol. 30 (7).
- (2018) Appreciation Through Use: How Industrial Technology Articulates an Ecology of Values Around Norwegian Seaweed. Philosophy & Technology. vol. 32 (3).
- (2016) Introduction: Grand challenges and small steps. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C: Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. vol. 56.
- (2016) Is it possible to give scientific solutions to Grand Challenges? On the idea of Grand Challenges for life science research. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C: Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. vol. 56.
- (2012) How Ordinary Race Concepts Get to Be Usable in Biomedical Science: An Account of Founded Race Concepts. Philosophy of Science. vol. 79 (5).
- (2012) The Nazi Cosmetic: Medicine in the Service of Beauty. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C: Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. vol. 43 (3).
- (2011) Hunting causes and using them: Is there no bridge from here to there?. International Studies in the Philosophy of Science. vol. 25 (3).
- (2018) ALL WOMEN’S NETWORKED JAM SESSION (AWNJS). ALL WOMEN’S NETWORKED JAM SESSION (AWNJS)
Del av bok/rapport
- (2019) Facing animal research: Levinas and technologies of effacement. Face to face with animals: Lévinas and the animal question.
- (2019) lnvestigating the elasticity of meat consumption for climate mitigation: 4Rs for responsible meat use. Sustainable governance and management of food systems.
- (2018) Im Angesicht der Gesichter: Technologien des Gesichtsverlusts in der Tierforschung. Philosophie der Tierforschung: Band 3 Milieus und Akteure.
- (2017) Performance and Philosophy of Science: Trashfiguring Epistemic Cultures Through the Performance Art of FYTA. The Black Book of FYTA.
- (2016) Genetics and Racial Minorities in the United States. The Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Gender and Sexuality Studies.
- (2014) Interdisciplinarity In Action. Philosophy of Social Science: A New Introduction.
- (2012) Beauty and health as medical norms: The case of Nazi medicine. HEALTH, ILLNESS AND DISEASE:PHILOSOPHICAL ESSAYS.
- (2012) Crossover Research: Exploring a Collaborative Mode of Integration. Little by Little. Expansions of Nanoscience and Emerging Technologies.
- (2019) A Role for the Arts in RRI - An argument for Science, Humanities and Arts Knowledge Exercises SHAKE. Cornell University Media Studies Colloquium ; 2019-04-25.
- (2019) Being an Embedded Philosopher in the Lab. Learning from Empirical Approaches to History and Philosophy of Science ; Leibniz University Hannover. 2019-07-25 - 2019-07-27.
- (2019) Recognise, Reduce, Replace, Refine: 4Rs for sustainable meat use. Animal Ethics for Sustainability: Clean food, biodiversity and sustainable development ; 2019-11-28 - 2019-11-29.
- (2019) Visions of the Natural, Wild and Pure in Nazi Animal Ethics and Policy: An Account of Nazi ‘aesthethics’. German Studies Association Meeting . GSA; Portland. 2019-10-04 - 2019-10-06.
- (2019) The Skills you Need to Succeed with Interdisciplinary Teamwork. HIP Konferansen . Helen Gansmo, Tverrfaglige Kulturstudier, NTNU; Trondheim. 2019-02-06.
- (2018) Acceptance - Being open to new ideas. Sustainability and Interdisciplinary Research: Skills for Collaboration and Communication . Sophia Efstathiou and Marius Korsnes; Trondhjem Kunstforening. 2018-03-01 - 2018-03-02.
- (2018) Sophia starta oppropet #metooakademia. På Høyden [Avis]. 2018-01-22.
- (2018) Training response-abilities through performance. ELSA Norway ; 2018-11-02 - 2018-11-04.
- (2018) 20 historier og 661 underskrifter: Tafsing på fagmiddager, trakassering i plenum og faglig baksnakking fra avviste flørtere. #MetooAkademia viser maktmisbruk med bred palett. Morgenbladet [Avis]. 2018-02-23.
- (2017) Data, doxa and delta: The metaphysics of the alphabet or facing signs. Documena 2017 . Athens Biennale; FYTA; Bagkeion, Athens. 2017-04-15 - 2017-04-16.
- (2017) Key Challenges to RRI: How feminist theory and art matter. Response/Ability Exercises in Responsible Research and Innovation from science, humanities and arts perspectives . Sophia Efstathiou and Elena Perez; 2017-11-17 - 2017-11-18.