Dorothee Beermann Hellan
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Research interests: Syntax and semantics, text analysis, data-oriented language analysis,
data visualisation and linguistic annotation mining
RESEARCH PROFILE: I am particularly interested in the development of digital tools that allow linguists to create their own research data. My research field is data-driven formal analysis of natural language using both Lexical Functional Grammar and Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar. I have worked on Generative Syntax, Lexical Semantics (spatial semantics) and Grammar Engineering in the context of machine translation. For the last 10 year I have worked on linguistic issues and Natural Language Processing for lesser resourced languages. My main languages of study are Akan, a Kwa language of West Africa, and Runyankore-Rukiga a Bantu language spoken in Uganda.
At NTNU, I work in German Studies. Also here my main interest lies in the combination of data-driven approaches and formal linguistics. Together with Professor emeritus Lars Hellan I work on a comparative valence lexicon for Norwegian and German.
Norwegian - German Valence Lexicon, Research Project together with the University of Leizpig, Germany and the Technische Hochschule Darmstadt, Germany (2019 and ongoing).
Aspects of Linguistic Complexity. Comparative German/Norwegian Valence Approach to the creation of resources for Easy-To-Understand Language
IS-DAAD project (2018/19)
Digital Infrastructure for corpus work in research and education - A model approach
A IS-DAAD project (2016/17)
TypeCraft - an online natural language database and Annotation Editor. LOGON - Lexicon, Lexical Semantics, Grammar, and Translation for Norwegian. For more information see LOGON
The Legon-Trondheim Linguistic Research Cooperation (Under the NUFU schema).
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2019) Locative nominals in Runyankore-Rukiga. Nominal expressions in the Bantu languages . LLACAN, CNRS; Paris. 2019-06-01 - 2019-06-01.
- (2019) Tense, Modality and Aspect in Krio - A corpus based study. The grammar of verbs and their arguments: a cross-linguistic perspective. Studies in African Linguistics..
- (2019) Et korpusbasert sammenlignende valensprosjekt for norsk og tysk. MONS (Møter om norsk språk) ; 2019-11-27 - 2019-11-29.
- (2019) Aspects of Linguistic Complexity: A German – Norwegian Approach to the Creation of Resources for Easy-To-Understand Language. 2019 Eleventh International Conference on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX) . IEEE; Berlin. 2019-05-05.
- (2019) Tonal properties of the Akan particle 'na'. Proceedings of the 19th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences.
- (2018) Creation and reusability of digital resources from two related Kwa languages The case of Akan and Ga. SyWAL 2018 (Symposium of West African Languages) ; 2018-09-26 - 2018-09-29.
- (2018) West African serial verb constructions: the case of Akan and Ga. The Routledge Handbook of African Linguistics.
- (2018) Digital Infrastructure for Morpho-syntactic Analysis of Under-Resourced Languages: A Case Study for Luganda. SLE2018 ; 2018-08-28 - 2018-09-01.
- (2017) Infinitives. Contrastive Studies in Verbal Valency.
- (2016) Switched control and other 'uncontrolled' cases of obligatory control. Proceedings of the International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar.
- (2016) Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis in the work with African Languages. Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2016).
- (2015) Data management and analysis for endangered languages. Endangered Languages and New Technologies.
- (2014) Using GrAF for Advanced Convertibility of IGT data. LREC 2014, Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation.
- (2014) TypeCraft collaborative databasing and resource sharing for linguists. Language Resources and Evaluation. vol. 48 (2).
- (2014) TypeCraft v.2. Dorothee Beermann. 2014.
- (2014) Inducing grammars from IGT. Human Language Technology Challenges for Computer Science and Linguistics.
- (2014) Infinitive constructions in Norwegian, in a comparative perspective. Syntax of the World's languages 6 ; Pavia. 2014-09-08 - 2014-09-10.
- (2014) MultiVal – towards a multilingual valence lexicon. LREC 2014, Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation.
- (2014) Indian languages on the TypeCraft platform – the case of Hindi and Odia. LREC 2014, Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation.
- (2013) A multilingual valence database for less resourced languages. Language Technology Conference 2013 . AMU, Poznan; Poznan. 2013-12-07 - 2013-12-10.
- (2012) Contrastive Norwegian-German Valency. 45th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea . Department of Linguistics, Stockholm University; Stockholm. 2012-08-29 - 2012-09-01.
- (2012) TypeCraft.Collaborative databasing and Resource sharing for Linguists. 9th Extended Semantic Web Conference, Workshop, Interacting with Linked Data . ESWC; Heraklion. 2012-05-27 - 2012-05-31.
- (2012) Linking annotations. Steps towards tool-chaining in Language Documentation. Service-oriented Architecture. Solutions and Impact. Workshop at Digital Humanities 2012, Hamburg, Germany . Digital Humanities 2012; Hamburg University. 2012-07-16 - 2012-07-22.
- (2012) Spatial Prepositions as Typed Feature Structures. 'Meaning of P' . Ruhruniversität Bochum; Bochum. 2012-11-24 - 2012-11-26.
- (2011) TypeCraft - Text Annotation in the context of African Linguistics. North-South Contributions to African Languages.
- (2011) Inducing grammar from IGT. Proceedings of the 5th Language and Technology Conference: Human Language Technologies as a Challenge for Computer Science and Linguistics (LTC 2011).
- (2011) Inducing grammar from IGT. 5th Language & Technology Conference . University of Poznán; Posnán. 2011-11-25 - 2011-11-27.
- (2011) e-Research for Linguists. Association for Computational Linguistics - ACL HLT 2011 . The Association for Computational Linguistics; Portland, Oregon. 2011-06-19 - 2011-06-24.
- (2009) Glossing and databasing for linguists. Multilingualism. Proceedings of the 23rd Scandinavian Conference of Linguistics.
- (2009) Interlinear Glossing On-Line. Proceedings of 4th Language & Technology Conference.
- (2009) Interlinear glossing and its role in theoretical and descriptive studies of African and other lesser-documented languages. Proceedings of the First Workshop on Language Technologies for African Languages.
- (2008) Verb Sequencing Constraints in Ga: Serial Verb Constructions and the Extended Verb Complex. Proceedings of the International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar.
- (2006) Word Sense and Semantic Disambiguation of Constructions in a Deep Processing Grammar. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2006).
- (2005) Preposition stranding and locative adverbs in German. Organizing Grammar. Linguistic Studies in Honor of Henk van Riemsdijk.
- (2005) A Comparison of Comparatives. Proceedings of the LFG-conference.
- (2004) Semantic Decomposition in a Computational HPSG Grammar: A Treatment of Aspect and Context-Dependent Directionals. Proceedings of the International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar.
- (2002) VP-Chaining in Oriya. Proceedings of the LFG02 Conference National Technical University of Athens, Athens Miriam Butt and Tracy Holloway King (Editors) 2002 CSLI Publications http:/csli-publications.stanford.edu/.
- (1997) Rightward Movement. John Benjamins Publishing Company. 1997. Linguistik Aktuell Linguistics Today.