MOL3015 - Nanomedisin II - terapi
The course will introduce use of nanotechnology in therapy. In detail, the course will cover clinical biomaterials, tissue regeneration, including stem cell technology, immunological limitations and encapsulation strategies. Methods and possibillities for drug discovery. Use and design of nanoparticles for gene therapy, drug delivery and drug targeting. Physiological, cellular and toxicological limitations for medical use of nanoparticles. Theranostics, the combined use of in vivo imaging/diagnostics and therapy. Ethical, legal and social aspects (ELSA) related to use of medical nanotechnology will be discussed. A written report is included, where the student will choose a theme from the lectures, review the litterature, describe current methods, concider and recommend use of emerging nanotechnologies in a theraputic setting.
After completing the course MOL3015, the student should be able to:
- understand how nanotechnological approaches can be used in biomedical therapies
- understand biomaterials and interaction of biomaterials with cells, body fluids and tissues
- understand basic stem cell biology and corresponding requirement for tissue engineering
- understand the need, obstacles and solutions for polymeric, lipidous and solid nanosized drug delivery systems
- understand the toxicological aspects of nanosized surfaces and particles
- find, refer and evaluate available information
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
The syllabus of the course is defined by the learning objectives. The course is based on lectures given by experienced researchers within each theme. The course includes a compulsory project providing an in-depth review of the primary litterature, which will account for 25 % of the final grade. The project must be approved for the student to be eligible to sit for the exam. The language of instruction is English. The lectures are held in the spring semester and start in early February.
Mer om vurdering
Retake of the course: Both the assignment and the written exam must be re-taken.
Basic skills in molecular biology.
All course materials will be based on lectures.
Vurderingsordning: Oppgave og skriftlig eksamen
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato.