Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I am an ecologist with strong interests in marine plankton ecology. The main focus of my work is on pelagic food web structure and functioning. I’m particularly interested in the nodes and interactions of the food webs which have drawn less attention previously, such as poorly known taxa, indirect interactions and factors regulating the transfer between trophic levels. I have strong theoretical background in ecology with a major in marine ecology and geography and minors in environmental management, research leadership and management as well as university pedagogy.
I currently work together with Nicole Aberle-Malzahn in GoJelly – a gelatinous solution to plastic pollution project, focusing on the driving mechanisms and predictions of jellyfish blooms. My focus is to use molecular approaches to trace the origin of jellyfish seed populations. I’m also leading GooseAlien – Ctenophores along the Norwegian coast project aiming to chart the currently insufficiently understood diversity of pelagic ctenophores in Norwegian waters.
I joined the NTNU Pelagic food web group in August 2018 and have been working in the past with Samuel Hylander, Linnaeus University, on transfer of pigments and vitamins in the aquatic food web. Before migrating to Scandinavia I was based at the University of Helsinki, Finland and the University Centre in Svalbard, where I did my PhD with Dr Maiju Lehtiniemi (SYKE, Finland), Elena Gorokhova (US, Sweden) and Jørgen Berge (UiT, Norway). My PhD focused on the biodiversity and ecological importance of ctenophores.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2019) Seasonal variation and species-specific concentrations of the essential vitamin B1 (thiamin) in zooplankton and seston. Marine Biology. vol. 166 (6).
- (2019) Community dynamics and barcoding of protozooplankton in the Trondheim Fjord, Norway. Genome. vol. 62 (6).
- (2017) Jellyfish summer distribution, diversity and impact on fish farms in a Nordic fjord. Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 591.
- (2017) Pan-Arctic distribution of the hydrozoan Sympagohydra tuuli? First record in sea ice from Svalbard (European Arctic). Polar Biology. vol. 41 (3).
- (2016) Where are they now? – A case study of the impact of international travel support for early career Arctic researchers. Polar Science. vol. 10 (3).
- (2014) Arctic complexity: A case study on diel vertical migration of zooplankton. Journal of Plankton Research. vol. 36 (5).
- (2014) Feeding of the Arctic ctenophore Mertensia ovum in the Baltic Sea: evidence of the use of microbial prey. Journal of Plankton Research. vol. 36 (1).
- (2013) Aggregations of predators and prey affect predation impact of the Arctic ctenophore Mertensia ovum. Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 476.
- (2013) Cydippid ctenophores in the coastal waters of Svalbard: is it only Mertensia ovum?. Polar Biology. vol. 36 (11).
- (2012) First recordings of the ctenophore Euplokamis sp. (Ctenophora, Cydippida) in Swedish coastal waters and molecular identification of this genus. Aquatic Invasions. vol. 7 (4).
- (2014) UNDERSTANDING THE BIODIVERSITY AND ECOLOGICAL IMPORTANCE OF CTENOPHORES – LESSONS FROM ARCTIC AND BALTIC MERTENSIA OVUM. 2014.