Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I hold a PhD in Computer Science from NTNU. My PhD thesis was titled: "Integration by Infrastructuring: The Case of Subsea Environmental Monitoring in Oil and Gas Offshore Operations". In 2014, I have been a visiting researcher at the University of Edinburgh and the IT University in Copenhagen.
My primary research interest is the study of the empirical challenges of implementing and maintaining ICT-based platforms and information infrastructures from a sociotechnical perspective. I am also particularly interested in the methodological stakes when studying distributed and long-term arrangements like infrastructures and platforms. Methodologically, I adopt an ethnographic approach based on an interpretive perspective.
Theoretically, I am particularly concerned with issues of system integration and standardization. I draw primarily on IS and CSCW theories, but my work is also influenced by Science and Technology Studies (STS).
I am in the management team of the project InfraData ("Infrastructuring Internet of Things for Public Governance"), in cooperation with the University of Oslo, funded by the IKTPLUSS program of the Norwegian Research Concil.
Empirically, my focus is on three different domains:
- digitalization of work processes in the oil and gas world, primarliy subsea environmental monitoring during well operations, resource exploration, and operations. This work is carried out as part of the Sirius center for research-based innovation (2016-2023) and the Digital Oil project (2012-2016). During my PhD (2012-2014) I was part of the Center for Integrated Operations in the Oil and Gas Industry.
- long-term ecological research, as part of the projects InfraData and MULTICS (in cooperation with the University of Oulu).
- digitalization of drug development and distrubution in the EU, in particular related to the fight against medicine counterfeiting in the pharmaceutical supply chain, in cooperation with the D3 project led by the London School of Economics, ended in 2017.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2017) This is not a fish: on the scale and politics of infrastructure design studies. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 26 (1-2).
- (2017) Politics of repair in medicines supply networks: Harnessing fear of falsification. IFIP WG8.6 working conference: "Re-Imagining Diffusion of Information Technology and Systems: Opportunities and Risks" . IFIP 8.6 WG; Guimaraes. 2017-06-05 - 2017-06-05.
- (2017) Synthetic Situations and Algorithmic Phenomena. 4S Conference . Society of Social Studies of Science; Boston. 2017-08-30 - 2017-09-02.
- (2016) A measure of ‘environmental happiness’: Infrastructuring environmental risk in oil and gas offshore operations. Science & Technology Studies. vol. 29 (1).
- (2016) "There's no single Arctic": Knowing nature in oil operations. 4S/EASST Conference ; Barcelona. 2016-08-31 - 2016-09-03.
- (2016) Synthetic situations in the internet of things. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 489.
- (2015) Integration by Infrastructuring: The Case of Subsea Environmental Monitoring in Oil and Gas Offshore Operations. 2015. ISBN 978-82-326-1124-9. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (234).
- (2015) The nested materiality of environmental monitoring. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 27 (1).
- (2015) The Digital Coral: Infrastructuring Environmental Monitoring. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 24 (5).
- (2014) Sociomaterial capabilities in integrated oil and gas operations - Implications for design. Proceedings of the European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) 2014, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 9-11, 2014.
- (2014) Of Corals and Web Portals: Towards a Digital Representation of Risk for the Cold-Water Corals in the Oil and Gas Sector. COOP 2014 - Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on the Design of Cooperative Systems, Nice, France 27-30 May, 2014.
- (2014) The digital coral reef. 4S . Society of Social Studies of Science; Buenos Aires. 2014-08-20 - 2014-08-23.
- (2014) Where Oil and Gas Find LoVe. Social construction of technology coming of age: new challenges and opportunities ahead ; Trondheim. 2014-06-03 - 2014-06-05.
- (2013) Mobilizing Heterogeneous forces in the modeling of data: from perplexity to institutionalism. The First Nordic STS Conference . NTNU KULT; Værnes. 2013-04-24 - 2013-04-26.
- (2013) Pragmatic Information Management For Environmental Monitoring In Oil And Gas. European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2013) Proceedings.
- (2013) Data Performativity in Oil and Gas Operations. 4S . Society of Social Studies of Science; San Diego. 2013-10-09 - 2013-10-12.
- (2013) The Facets of Sociomateriality: A Systematic Mapping of Emerging Concepts and Definitions. Nordic Contributions in IS Research : 4th Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems, SCIS 2013, Oslo, Norway, August 11-14, 2013. Proceedings.
- (2013) Digital Coral Reefs. DigitalSTS 2013 ; San Diego. 2013-10-07 - 2013-10-08.
- (2012) Supporting environmental monitoring in Integrated Operations: a preliminary study. The 35th Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia (IRIS 2012) ; Sigtuna. 2012-08-17 - 2013-08-20.