Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I am Associate Professor in CSCW and Digital Collaboration at the Department of Computer Science, NTNU. I am affiliated with the Applied Information Technologies (AIT) group. I coordinate the Digital Enterprise Research Priority Area at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
I hold a PhD in Computer Science from NTNU. My PhD thesis was titled: "Integration by Infrastructuring: The Case of Subsea Environmental Monitoring in Oil and Gas Offshore Operations".
My primary research interest is the study of the empirical challenges of implementing and maintaining sustainable ICT-based platforms and information infrastructures from a sociotechnical perspective. This includes the study of the work of data science and data curation. I am also particularly interested in the methodological stakes when studying distributed and long-term arrangements like infrastructures and platforms. Methodologically, I adopt an ethnographic approach based on an interpretive perspective.
Theoretically, I am particularly concerned with issues of system integration and data management. I draw primarily on IS and CSCW theories, but my work is also influenced by Science and Technology Studies (STS). I have recently published in MIS Quarterly, CSCW Jorunal, Science and Technology Studies Journal, the International Conference on IS, European Conference on IS, and the Scandinavian Journal of IS.
I am in the management team of the research network AlgoCult ("Algorithmic Cultures and the Digitalization of the Public Sector"), in cooperation with Kristiania University College the University of Oslo, funded by the SAMKUL program of the Norwegian Research Concil (2018-2019).
Empirically, my focus is currently on different domains, for example:
- digitalization of work processes in the energy sector, primarily subsea environmental monitoring during oil and gas operations, resource exploration, and operations
- long-term ecological research.
I am affiliated with the Sirius center for research-based innovation (2016-2024).
I am currently supervising 2 PhD students and 7 master students.
In Spring 2020 I teach the following courses:
- DIFT1005 (campus-based) & INFT1008 (online-based) - Datstøttet Samhandling (in Norwegian; responsbile for CSCW module); with Birgit Krogstie (course responsible) and Geir Ove Rosvold
- TDT4257 Digital Service Innovation (assignment coordinator); with Eric Monteiro (course responsible)
Other courses that I have been involved in:
- TDMA5004 - Planlegging av forskningsprosjekt (Lecturer; in Norwegian)
- IT3010 - Research-based Innovation Methodologies in Computer and Information Science (Lecturer)
- DT111 - Empirical Software Engineering (in conjunction with IT3010) (Lecturer)
- TDT4257 - Digital Service Innovation (Assignment coordinator and lecturer)
- IT1604 - Digitalt Sammfunn (Lecturer; in Norwegian)
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2020) Data Curation as Governance Practice. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 32 (1).
- (2020) Platformization of the public sector: Assessing the space of possibility for participation. PDC '20: Participatory Design Conference 2020 - Participation Otherwise.
- (2019) Inquire the Way We Inquire. ID&A Interaction design & architecture(s).
- (2019) Synthetic Knowing: The Politics of the Internet of Things. MIS Quarterly. vol. 43 (1).
- (2019) Digitized Coral Reefs. Digitalsts: A Field Guide for Science & Technology Studies.
- (2019) Drawing Together: Infrastructuring and Politics for Participatory Design - a visual collection of cases, issues, questions, and relevant literature. 2019. ISBN 978-952-62-2204-2.
- (2018) What does infrastructuring look like in STS? When? Workshop Report. EASST Review. vol. 37 (4).
- (2018) Infrastructuring Internet of Things for Public Governance. European Conference on Information Systems: Beyond Digitization - Facets of Socio-Technical Change ECIS 2018 Proceedings.
- (2018) Quantifying quality: Towards a Post-Humanist Perspective on Sensemaking. Living with Monsters? Social Implications of Algorithmic Phenomena, Hybrid Agency, and the Performativity of Technology. IS&O 2018. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, vol 543. Springer, Cham.
- (2018) Surfacing the arctic: politics of participation in infrastructuring. Proceedings of the 15th Participatory Design Conference: Short Papers, Situated Actions, Workshops and Tutorial - Volume 2.
- (2018) Shifting Baselines? Recommendations for Green IS. Proceedings of the 39th International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS).
- (2017) This is not a fish: on the scale and politics of infrastructure design studies. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 26 (1-2).
- (2016) A measure of ‘environmental happiness’: Infrastructuring environmental risk in oil and gas offshore operations. Science & Technology Studies. vol. 29 (1).
- (2016) Synthetic situations in the internet of things. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 489.
- (2015) The nested materiality of environmental monitoring. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 27 (1).
- (2015) The Digital Coral: Infrastructuring Environmental Monitoring. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 24 (5).
- (2014) Sociomaterial capabilities in integrated oil and gas operations - Implications for design. Proceedings of the European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) 2014, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 9-11, 2014.
- (2014) Of Corals and Web Portals: Towards a Digital Representation of Risk for the Cold-Water Corals in the Oil and Gas Sector. COOP 2014 - Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on the Design of Cooperative Systems, Nice, France 27-30 May, 2014.
- (2013) Pragmatic Information Management For Environmental Monitoring In Oil And Gas. European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2013) Proceedings.
- (2013) The Facets of Sociomateriality: A Systematic Mapping of Emerging Concepts and Definitions. Nordic Contributions in IS Research : 4th Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems, SCIS 2013, Oslo, Norway, August 11-14, 2013. Proceedings.