Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Dr. Nikolai Tolstik
NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Realfagbygget, Hogskoleringen 5
- 1999 – 2004, Belarusian National Technical University, Engineering faculty, Laser Technics and Technology Department, BSc student.
- 2004 – 2005, Belarusian National Technical University, Engineering faculty,
- 2005 – 2008, Belarusian National Technical University, Engineering faculty,
- PhD degree in Optics (June 2010), topic of research – Spectroscopic and laser properties of 1.5-1.6 mm active laser media based on erbium-doped crystals.
- 13 years of scientific research;
- 34 articles in international peer-reviewed journals (1 invited), 14 of these as a first author; >70 conference publications (3 invited), more than 600 citations and h-index of 14 (according to Web of Science); 1 Belarusian national patent;
- Main scientific topics: Spectroscopy of rare-earth-doped and transition-metal-doped laser materials; development of CW, pulsed, and ultrafast solid-state and fiber lasers and amplifiers in the near- and mid-infrared spectral region; characterization and modelling of nonlinear processes in optical fibers; applications of lasers in range-finding, remote sensing, material processing;
- Additional research experience: Guest researcher at the Institute for Laser Physics, University of Hamburg (Prof. Dr. Guenter Huber, years 2007-2008); University of St. Andrews (Prof. Wilson Sibbett, year 2010);
- Teaching experience: Undergraduate Student Instructor, Topics “Physical Optics and Spectroscopy”, “Solid-state Laser Systems”; years 2008-2010, Master student supervisor, years 2011-2015;
- Industrial experience: since January 2016 - part-time employee of spin-off company Atla Lasers (Trondheim, Norway). Main responsibility – commercialization of the mid-infrared femtosecond solid-state and fiber lasers.
- Project leadership experience: work package leader for the EU-FET project “Graphenics” (2013-present).
- 2008–2011 – Laboratory of Laser Materials, center for Optical Materials and Technologies, Belarusian National Technical University, researcher.
- 2011–2014 – Department of Physics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, postdoctor.
- 2014–present – Department of Physics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, researcher.
- 2014-2017 – Photonics Institute, Technical University of Vienna, freelance researcher (part-time).
- 2016-present – spin-off company Atla Lasers AS, Trondheim, Norway, senior research engineer (part-time).
Russian, Belarusian, English, Norwegian.
- 2007 – Belarusian Ministry of Education Grant (Project “Research and development of optical materials based on Er-Yb-codoped borate crystals for eye-safe lasers”)
- 2007-2008 – INTAS Young Scientist Fellowship (Project “Er-doped crystalline laser materials for eye-safe 1.5-1.6 mcm solid-state and waveguide lasers”)
- 2008 – Belarusian President Fellowship for outstanding performance in scientific research
- 2009 – International Alferov Foundation fellowship (Report “Spectroscopic and waveguiding properties of epitaxial thin layers of Er,Yb:YAl3(BO3)4” at the conference “Engineering-2009” )
- 2009-2010 - World Federation of Scientists National Scholarship (Project “High-repetition-rate eye-safe lasers based on Er,Yb:YAl3(BO3)4 crystal”)
- 2010 – winner of the annual competition for best PhD thesis in natural sciences in Belarus
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
Reviewer for Applied physics B, Optics Letters, Optics Express, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2018) Spectral-luminescent properties of vapor deposited Cr:ZnS thin films and their application as saturable absorbers for 1.5-um erbium lasers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 8 (3).
- (2016) Vapor deposited Cr-doped ZnS thin films: Towards optically pumped mid-infrared waveguide lasers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 6 (9).
- (2016) Flat-top supercontinuum and tunable femtosecond fiber laser sources at 1.9-2.5 μm. Journal of Lightwave Technology. vol. 34 (21).
- (2016) Coherent octave-spanning mid-infrared supercontinuum generated in As2S3-silica double-nanospike waveguide pumped by femtosecond Cr:ZnS laser. Optics Express. vol. 24 (11).
- (2015) CW YVO4:Er laser with resonant pumping. Journal of Applied Spectroscopy. vol. 82 (2).
- (2014) Mid-IR ultrashort pulsed fiber-based lasers. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics. vol. 20:0903412 (5).
- (2014) Femtosecond Cr:ZnS laser at 2.35 µm mode-locked by carbon nanotubes. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 8959.
- (2014) Graphene mode-locked Cr: ZnS chirped-pulse oscillator. Optics Express. vol. 22 (6).
- (2014) Graphene Mode-locked Cr:ZnS Laser with 41 fs Pulse Duration. Optics Express. vol. 22 (5).
- (2013) Temperature-dependent photoluminescence Stokes shift in PbS quantum dots. Physica. E, Low-Dimensional systems and nanostructures. vol. 53.
- (2013) Chaotic chirped-pulse oscillators. Optics Express. vol. 21 (24).
- (2013) 1 Watt femtosecond mid-IR Cr:ZnS laser. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 8599.
- (2013) Supercontinuum generation in Mid-IR using Chalcogenide and Germanate Nonlinear Fiber. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 8599.
- (2013) Graphene mode-locked Cr:ZnS Chirped-pulse oscillator. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering.
- (2013) Kerr-lens mode-locked Cr:ZnS laser. Optics Letters. vol. 38 (3).
- (2012) Broadband Dispersion Measurement of ZBLAN, Germanate and Silica Fibers in MidIR. Journal of Lightwave Technology. vol. 30 (12).
- (2012) Femtosecond SESAM-modelocked Cr:ZnS laser. Optics Express. vol. 20 (27).
- (2012) Soliton delivery of mid-IR femtosecond pulses with ZBLAN fiber. Optical Materials Express. vol. 2 (11).
- (2011) Broadband method for group velocity dispersion measurements in the mid-infrared. Devices and Methods of Measurements. vol. 2.
Del av bok/rapport
- (2018) Femtosecond laser writing of the depressed cladding buried channel waveguides in ZnS crystal. High-Brightness Sources and Light-driven Interactions 2018, OSA Technical Digest (online).