Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Name: Hallvard Ødegaard
Born: 11.12.1945 in Voss, Norway
Position: Professor emeritus
Department of Hydraulic & Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering Science and
Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway
CEO – Scandinavian Environmental Technology AS (SET AS), Trondheim, Norway
1969 Master of Science (Siv.ing.) in Civil Engineering, The Norwegian Institute of
Technology, The University of Trondheim.
1975 Doctor of Engineering (Dr.ing.) in Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Norwegian Institute of Technology,
the University of Trondheim.
Orders: The Royal Norwegian St. Olavs order – officer, knight of 1. class
1970 Research Scholar, Norwegian Institute for Water Reasearch, Oslo.
1971 Researcher, Technical Division, Norwegian Institute for Water Research, Oslo.
1973 Assistant professor, Dept.of Hydraulic & Sanitary Engineering, NTH, The University of Trondheim.
1975 Head of Regional office of The Ministry of Environment, South-Trøndelag County, Trondheim.
1977 Associate professor, Dept.of Hydraulic & Sanitary Eng., NTH, The University of Trondheim.
1980 Group Leader, Water Treatment Research Group, Dept. of Applied Chemistry, SINTEF (part time)
1985 Professor, Dept. of Hydraulic & Sanitary Engineering, NTH, The University of Trondheim, Now : Dept. of
Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology, Norwegian
University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
1985 Division Manager and Assistent Director, Norwegian Hydrotechnical Laboratory (NHL), SINTEF
1986 Head of the department, Dept. of Hydraulic and Sanitary Engineering, Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH)
1988 Dean of Faculty of Civil Engineering, The Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH) (1988 - 1991).
1989 Managing director, Scandinavian Environmental Technology AS, Trondheim, Norway (1988 and still
1991 Visiting professor at EAWAG/ETH, Zürich, Switzerland (One year)
1999 Visiting professor, Dept. of Environm. Eng., University of Hokkaido, Sapporo, Japan (4 months)
2000 Visiting professor, CSIRO, Molecular Science, Melbourne, Australia (4 months)
2002 Head of the department, Department of Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of
Engineering Science and Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
2011 Professor emeritus, Department of Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of
Engineering Science and Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Appointed and Elected Assignments :
Elected Dean of Civil Engineering, The Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH) (1988-1991)
Elected member of the Board, The Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH)(1993/94 and 1994/95)
Elected member of the Board, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) (1995-1998)
Elected member of the board, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, NTNU (1999-2001)
Elected Head of Department of Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering Science and
Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) (2002-2006)
Elected President of Norwegian Water Association (1979 - 1983)
Appointed Council member of European Water Pollution Control Association (EWPCA)(1984 – 91)
Elected Vice President and chairman of the Technical and Scientific Committee, EWPCA (1990- 91)
Appointed member of Governing Board of The International Water Association (IWA (1986-still)
Elected group leader Technology Group, Class of Natural Sciences, The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and
Letters (DKNVS) (2003 - 2006)
Elected member of the Board The Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences (NTVA)(2005-2009)
Appointed member of the Council of Distinguished Water Professionals of IWA (2005-still)
Apponted member of the steering group of the IWA Innovation Program (2010 – still)
Membership of Scientific Academies
- Elected member of The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (DKNVS)
- Elected member of The Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences (NTVA)
- Elected member of The Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA)
Membership of Professional Societies
- Member of International Water Association (IWA)
- Member of International Humic Substance Society (IHSS).
- Member of American Chemical Society (ACS).
- Member of the International Ozone Association (IOA)
- Member of the Swedish Association for Water Hygiene
- Member of the Norwegian Water Association
- Member of Norwegian Society of Chartered Engineers.
- Member of Norwegian Federation of Municipal Engineers.
Prizes and awards:
- The Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav - Knight of 1st Class
- The Boliden Prize (Sweden) 1987
- The Water Prize of the Norwegian Water Association (Norway) 1990
- The Water Prize of the Swedish Association for Water (Sweden) 1995
- The Internationalization Prize of NTNU (Norway) 2006
- The Technoport Prize for Innovative Environmental Technology (Norway) 2006
Patents (as inventor)
- Process for purification of waste water - Pub. WO/2005/035448, PCT/FI2004/000566
- Fish cultivation tank - Pub. WO/1988/009615, PCT/NO1988/000050
- Method and reactor for purification of water - Pub. WO/1991/011396, PCT/NO1991/000007
- Anordning og fremgangsmåte ved fremstilling av en karbonkilde fra våtorganisk avfall - Norwegian patent no.:
- Fremgangsmåte og reaktor for rensing av vann - Norwegian patent no.: NO 172687
Professional experience from previous employments:
1970 - 1971 Postgraduate Studies in Sanitary Engineering, Water Chemistry and Microbiology.
1971 - 1972 Optimization of operation of wastewater treatment plants of the Army.
1972 - 1973 Research on nutrient removal in wastewater treatment. Full scale experimentation.
1973 - 2010 University teaching - Water and Wastewater Engineering and Water Chemistry.
1975 - 1977 Chief engineer in Sør-Trøndelag County - responsible for regional water poll. control adm.
1975 - 1980 Developing design criteria for wastewater treatment plants for Ministry of Environment.
1985 - 1986 Managing division at research institute (SINTEF-NHL) (130 employees).
1988 - 1991 Dean of Civil Engineering Department, NTH (180 employees and 1000 students).
1991 - 1992 Visiting professor at the Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology
(EAWAG) connected to Eidgenössische Technische Hochscule (ETH), Zürich, Switzerland
1999 Visiting professor, Dept.of Environmental Eng., University of Hokkaido, Sapporo, Japan (4 months)
2000 Visiting professor, CSIRO, Molecular Science, Melbourne, Australia (4 months)
1977 - still Consulting for several Norwegian and international consulting firms, mainly dealing
with design of water and wastewater treatment plants.
1989 - still Managing director of consulting company (Scandinavian Environmental Technology A/S)
Main research and development projects:
- Phosphorous removal in wastewater treatment – PRA-project (1970 - 1973)
- Flocculation in wastewater treatment. Dr.ing.-thesis (1973-75)
- Treatment of industrial wastewater – INDRENS program (1981-1985)
- Wastewater treatment with biofilm processes (1980-1987)
- Removal of humic substances from drinking water (1980-1987)
- Design and operation of small wastewater treatment plants (1985-87)
- EUREKA project: Removal of nutrients from wastewater (HYPRO) (1988-92)
- Nordic research programme in environmental biotechnology (MILBIOTEK) (1989-92)
- National research programme on nutrient removal (FAN) (1989-92)
- Effective particle separation processes in wastewater treatment (1996-1999)
- Sludge treatment by hydrolysis processes (1991-1999)
- Anaerobic/aerobic biofilm treatment of pulp and paper wastewater (1994-1999)
- Chemical/biological treatment processes based on resources reuse (1992-2000)
- Development of the moving bed biofilm reactor (MBBR) process (1990-2000)
- Ozonation/biofiltration for treatment of humic drinking water (1995- 2005)
- Polymer coagulation of wastewater (1998 – 2006)
- Membrane separation of biomass from biofilm reactors (1999-2009)
- PRIMÆRRENS - Norwegian EPA (SFT) – primary treatment of wastewater (2004-2008)
- Disinfection practices – Norwegian Water/Swedish Water (2004-2009)
- Swedish research within water and wastewater engineering, Swedish Water (2007-2008)
- Development of the floc blanket lamella separator (2009-still)
- Development of new water works concept for treatment of humic water (2009 – still)
Involved in following doctor theses:
Ødegaard, H. (1975) Flocculation of phosphate precipitates in wastewater treatment.
Dept. of Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering, NTH, The University of Trondheim
Supervisor for the following approved doctoral dissertations (all at Dept. of Hydraulic and Environmental
Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU)
Koottatep, S. (1979) Removal of humic substances by reverse osmosis
Schou, L (1982) Organic micropollutants in water (in Norwegian)
Eikebrokk, B. (1982) Coagulation/direct filtration for the removal of humic substances in drinking water (in Norwegian)
Rusten, B (1982) Nitrogen removal from wastewater - Nitrification and denitrification in a rotating biological contactor
without external carbon source.
Halle, O. (1983) Removal of humic substances in drinking water by ion exchange (in Norwegian)
Brattebø, H. (1983) Phosphorous removal from wastewater by fixed-bed adsorption on granular activated alumina
Ndege, M. (1989) The extraction of settleable particles by vortex separation
Hem, L. (1991) Nitrification in a moving bed biofilm reactor
Ratnaweera, H. (1992) Influence of the degree of coagulant prepolymerization on wastewater coagulation mechanisms
Æsøy, A. (1993) Denitrification in biofilms with hydrolysed sludge as carbon source
Øren, K. (1995) Environmental protection strategies - A metaphorical approach using the Norwegian fish-farming indutry
as a case study
Barlindhaug, J. (1995) Thermal hydrolysis of sludge and the use of hydrolysate as carbon source for denitrification
Østerhus, S. (1997) Corrosion of iron and copper in potable water distribution systems - The effect of water quality
assesed by electrochemical methods
Jahren, S. (1999) Thermophilic treatment of concentrated wasterwater using biofilm carriers
Leiknes, T. (2001) Gas transfer and degassing using hollow fiber membranes
Saltnes, T. (2001) Contact filtration of humic waters in expanded clay aggregate filters
Liao, Z. (2002) Coarse media filtration for enhanced primary treatment of municipal wastewater
Kvinnesland, T. (2002) Coagulation and flocculation of dissolved organic substances with organic polymers
Pilipenko, P.(2007): Cationic polyelectrolytes as primary coagulants for municipal wastewater treatment
Machenbach, I. (2007): Drinking water production by coagulation combined with membrane filtration
Helness, H. (2007): Biological phosphate removal in moving bed biofilm reactors
Co-supervisor for the following PhD-candidates at NTNU with dissertation topic given:
Bjerkelund, V. (defence expected in 2012): Serious Habitats - A new concept for water reuse based on
Member of evaluation committee/appointed scientific opponent for the defence of the following doctoral dissertations:
Hernebring (1981) On flocculation efficiency in water treatment, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
Odira (1985) Upflow filters in flocculation and direct filtration of waters of high turbidity, Tampere University of
Larsen, T. (1992) Degradation of colloidal organic matter in biofilm reactors, The Technical University of Denmark
Nyberg, U. (1994) Systems for nutrient removal at Klagshamns wastewater treatment plant (Techn. lic.) Lund University
Johansson, P. (1994) SIPHOR - a kinetic model for simulation of biological phosphate removal, Lund University (LTH),
Sweden (member of evaluation committee)
Aspegren, H. (1995) Evaluation of a high loaded activeted sludge process for biological phosphorous removal, Lund
University (LTH), Sweden
Mattson, A. (1997) Denitrification in a non-nitryfying activated sludge system employing recirculation from a tertiary
nitrification uni., Chalmers University of Technology (CTH), Sweden
Kimura, Katsuki (2000) A Novel Biofilm-Membrane reactor for Advanced Drinking Water Treatment, Hokkaido
Li, Huihua (2001) Biological Nutrient Removal Using Fixed-Bed Filters. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Mels, Adriaan (2001) Physical/chemical pretreatment and biological posttreatment of wastewater. Wagening University,
van Nieuwenhuisen, Arjen (2001) Physical-chemical Pre-treatment of Wastewater - the role of particle
removal in wastewater systems. Delft University, The Netherlands
Ghebremichael, Kebreab A. (2004) Moringa Seed and Pumice as Alternative Natural Materials for Drinkiung
Water Treatment. Kungliga Tekniska Høgskolan, Stockholm, Sweden
Heinicke, Gerald (2005) Biological Pre—filtration and Surface Water Treatment. Chalmers University of
Ljunggren, Michael (2006) Dissolved air flotation and microscreening for particle separation in wastewater
Treatment. Lund University, Sweden
Ravazzini, Aldo (2008) Crossflow ultrafiltration of raw municipal wastewater. Investigations using PVDF tubular
membranes. Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
Rygaard, Martin (2010) Desalinated water in urban water supplies – a system approach to identify optimal drinking
watercomposition. Technical University of Denmark, Denmark
Scherrenberg, Sigrid M. (2011) Reaching ultra low phosphorous concentrations by filtration techniques. Delft University
of Technology, The Netherlands
Appoinment as scientific reviewer for evaluation of applicants to following professorships :
Full Professor in Water and Wastewater Engineering - Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden 1991
Full Professor in Water and Wastewater Engineering - Luleå University of Technology, Sweden,1992
Full Professor in Water and Wastewater Engineering - Norwegian Institute of Technology, Norway,1994
Full Professor in Environmental Technology – University of Stavanger, Norway, 1997
Full Professor in Water and Wastewater Engineering – Lund University, Sweden, 1997
Full Professor in Environmental Engineering - Tampere University of Technology, Finland, 1998
Full Professor in Urban Wastewater Engineering – Technical University of Denmark, Denmark 2000
Associate Professor in Environmental Engineering - University of Minnesota, USA, 2002
Associate Professor in Environmental Engineering – Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2002
Adjunct Professor in Applied Drinking Water Engineering – Chalmers University of Technology, 2006
Associate professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering – Chalmers University of Technology, 2007
Docentship in Water and Environmental Engineering – University of Oulu, Finland, 2007
Full Professor in Water and Wastewater Engineering - Norwegian Institute of Technology, Norway, 2008
Full professor in Water and Wastewater Engieneering – Royal University of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 2009
Scientific appoinments :
Member of the following international evaluation committees :
International award Committee for the Stockholm Industry Water Award (Sweden)(2000-2006)
International evaluation committee of research programme: STAMP, 1995 (NUTEK, Sweden)
International evaluation committee of research programme: Urban Water Systems 21, 1995 (MISTRA, Sweden)
International evaluation of research program : Water Treatment Technologies, CRC for Water Quality and
Treatment, Australia (2000)
International evaluation of the Japanese water treatment technology programme CREST, Japan 2001
International evaluation of research programme: Water services 2001 (TEKES, Finland), 2001
International evaluation of WEKNOW – a European network project on drinking water (The Netherlands, 2004)
International evaluation committee of research programme: Sustainable Urban Water Mangement 1998, 2001 and
2006 (MISTRA, Sweden)
Editor Board/Reviewer in the following refereed journals:
Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology – AQUA (Editorial Board)
Journal of Water Sustainability (JWS)(Editorial Board)
Water Research (Reviewer)
Water Science and Technology (Reviewer)
Ozone Science and Engineering (Reviewer)
Separation Science and Technology (Reviewer)
Ecological Engineering – The Journal of Ecotechnology (Reviewer)
Water, Air and Soil Pollution (Reviewer)
Environmental Engineering Science (Reviewer)
Environmental Technology (Reviewer)
Aquacultural Engineering (Reviewer)
Waste Management (Reviewer)
Involvement in international conferences :
Member of the scientific committee/programme committee of a large number of international conferences, especially
dealing with water and wastewater treatment, in most cases appointed by the international associations such as IWA
(former IAWQ) and EWA (former EWPCA).
In charge of the organisation of four international conferences all organised at the Norwegian University of Science and
Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim, Norway (around 250 participants from around 40 countries in each conference):
Design and operation of small wastewater treatment plants - I (1989)
Design and operation of small wastewater treatment plants - II (1993)
Removal of humic substances from water (1999)
BIOSOLIDS 2003 – Wastewater Sludge as a Resource (2003)
Chairman of organising committee in the biennial International Gothenburg Symposia on Chemical Treatment of Water
and Wastewater that was organized every second year from 1984 to 2007 in various cities around Europe and USA.
Presented papers at more than 115 international conferences (see publication list) both as key note speaker and invited
speaker. Invited lecturer at more than 100 international conferences and at more than 50 universities in all the
Scandinavian countries, most of the European countries as well as in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Japan, Korea,
Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia, South Africa, Turkey, Tunisia, Ethiopia, UAE and USA
Consulting projects :
Consulting at an early stage in connection with a large number of treatment plant projects both in Norway and abroad.
Among the larger projects, the following may be mentioned : VEAS (Oslo), Bekkelaget (Oslo), Lynetten (Copenhagen),
Sjølunda and Klagshamn (Malmø), Rosenthal (Leipzig), Deer Island (Boston), Høvringen RA (Trondheim), GRYAAB
(Gothenburg), Sharjah (UAE) and several others.
More than 525 scientific publications, out of which more than 280 published internationally (papers presented in
international journals or at internal conferences with referee system), see separate publications list
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2018) Integrated fixed-film activated sludge membrane bioreactors versus membrane bioreactors for nutrient removal: A comprehensive comparison. Journal of Environmental Management. vol. 226.
- (2018) Influence of carbon to nitrogen ratio on nitrous oxide emission in an Integrated Fixed Film Activated Sludge Membrane BioReactor plant. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 176.
- (2017) Moving bed membrane bioreactors for carbon and nutrient removal: the effect of C/N variation. Biochemical engineering journal. vol. 125.
- (2017) Nitrous oxide from moving bed based integrated fixed film activated sludge membrane bioreactors. Journal of Environmental Management. vol. 187.
- (2016) Nitrous oxide emissions in a membrane bioreactor treating saline wastewater contaminated by hydrocarbons. Bioresource Technology. vol. 219.
- (2016) Greenhouse gases from sequential batch membrane bioreactors: A pilot plant case study. Biochemical engineering journal. vol. 112.
- (2016) A road-map for energy-neutral wastewater treatment plants of the future based on compact technologies (including MBBR). Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering. vol. 10 (4).
- (2013) Performance of a hybrid activated sludge/biofilm process for wastewater treatment in a cold climate region: Influence of operating conditions. Biochemical engineering journal. vol. 77.
- (2012) Microbial risk management of drinking water supplies. Water 21.
- (2012) Compact tertiary treatment based on the combination of MBBR and contained hollow fibre UF-membranes. Desalination and Water Treatment. vol. 42 (1-3).
- (2011) Hybrid activated sludge/biofilm process for the treatment of municipal wastewater in a cold climate region: a case study. Water Science and Technology. vol. 63 (6).
- (2011) Modelling and dynamic simulation of hybrid moving bed biofilm reactors: Model concepts and application to a pilot plant. Biochemical engineering journal. vol. 56 (1-2).
- (2010) NOM removal technologies – Norwegian experiences. Drinking Water Engineering and Science (DWES).
- (2008) Fouling control by reduction of submicron particles in a BF-MBR with an integrated flocculation zone in the membrane reactor. Separation science and technology (Print). vol. 43 (7).
- (2008) Risiko og sårbarhet i vannforsyningen. Vann. vol. 43 (2).
- (2007) The development of a biofilm membrane bioreactor. Desalination. vol. 202.
- (2007) Design and operation of nutrient removal plants for very low effluent concentrations. Water Practice. vol. 1 (5).
- (2007) Membrane filtration for particles removal after ozonation-biofiltration. Water Science and Technology. vol. 56 (10).
- (2006) Influence of loading rates on production and characteristics of retentate from a biofilm membrane bioreactor (BF-MBR). Desalination. vol. 199.
- (2006) Investigating the effect of colloids on the performance of a bioﬁlm membrane reactor (BF-MBR) for treatment of municipal wastewater. Water S.A.. vol. 32 (5).