Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I am a computational social scientist interested in the interaction between technology and institutions, that is manifestations of social behaviour, such as conventions, norms (e.g., behavioural etiquettes) and rules of interaction (e.g., laws). My research includes
- the use of agent-based simulations to analyse and explain observed human behaviour (how we arrived at working social systems),
- the encoding of laws and regulation and their representation in software (how we can make policies accessible to software),
- the evaluation of policy using agent-based simulation (what is the effect of existing and novel regulation),
- the development of technology that performs institutional functions in the real world (e.g., how we can automate the generation of smart contracts).
Before my study in Germany (MSc, University of Koblenz) and New Zealand (PhD, University of Otago), I gained industrial experience in system and network administration as well as software engineering. In addition to my research, I am teaching in the areas of cloud technologies and serious games and am responsible for the local coordination of our Master in Applied Computer Science Programme (MACS).
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2019) Modelling Norm Dynamics in Multi-Agent Systems. Journal of Applied Logics (JAL-FLAP). vol. 5 (2).
- (2019) Social Preferences in Decision Making Under Cybersecurity Risks and Uncertainties. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 11594 LNCS.
- (2019) Quasi-social software as the 'social' in socio-technical design. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 2398.
- (2019) A Comparison of Two Historical Trader Societies – An Agent-Based Simulation Study of English East India Company and New-Julfa. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 11463 LNAI.
- (2018) Comic Strip Narratives in Time Geography. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. vol. 7 (7).
- (2018) A Pilot Study in Cyber Security Education Using CyberAIMs: A Simulation-Based Experiment. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 531.
Del av bok/rapport
- (2020) Unleashing the Agents: From a Descriptive to an Explanatory Perspective in Agent-Based Modelling. Advances in Social Simulation. Looking in the Mirror.
- (2019) Inequality: Driver or Inhibitor of Collective Action?. Social Simulation for a Digital Society.
- (2019) Designing Serious Games for Cyber Ranges: A Socio-technical Approach. 2019 IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy Workshops (EuroS&PW).
- (2018) Modelling Norm Dynamics in Multi-Agent Systems. Handbook of Normative Multiagent Systems.
- (2018) A Pilot Study in Cyber Security Education Using CyberAIMs: A Simulation-Based Experiment. Information Security Education - Towards a Cybersecure Society.
- (2018) CyberAIMs: A tool for teaching adversarial and systems thinking. International Defence and Homeland Security Simulation Workshop, DHSS 2018.
- Informasjons- og kommunikasjonsteknologi
- Sosiale normer
- Computational social science
- Agent-based Modelling
- Social Network Analysis
- Institutional Modelling
- Institutional Analysis
- Social Simulation
- Normative Modelling
- Blockchain Technology
- Blockchain-based Governance
- Normative Multi-Agent Systems
- Agent-based Simulation
- Multi-Agent Systems
- New Institutional Economics
- Institutional Grammar