MOL3100 - Innføring i molekylærmedisin med prosjektoppgave
The lectures will cover the organization and major features of the regulation of the function of the human genome, such as gene expression, replication, chromatin remodeling and genome maintenance. Consequences of mutations and polymorphisms, and impacts of genes and environment on major common diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, vascular and coronary disease, will be covered. Basic principles of extracellular and intracellular signaling systems will also be included. Methods of DNA analysis, gene technology and applied bioinformatics will be discussed.
After completing the course MOL3100, the student is able to:
- describe the organization of the human genome and its functional regulation (i.e. replication, gene expression, genome maintenance, and signal transduction principles)
- describe the impact of genes, inheritance and environment on disease
- understand how normal cellular processes change, fail or are destroyed by disease development, in particular for common diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease
- collect relevant background information about topics within molecular medicine, use EndNote, and to write a scientific review article of a given topic in English
- read and present scientific papers
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
The curriculum of the course is defined by learning objectives. Lectures, computer courses (EndNote and Bioinfomatics), study groups and article presentations are included. The course also includes a compulsory project which accounts for 50 % of the final grade. The examination may change to an oral exam if few students register. The language of instruction and examination is English.
Mer om vurdering
Retake of the course: If the assignment is passed in a previous semester, it is sufficient to retake the written exam. If the assignment is not passed, both the assignment and the written exam must be re-taken.
Vurderingsmelding krever godkjent undervisningsmelding samme semester. Obligatorisk aktivitet fra tidligere semester kan godkjennes av instituttet.
Krever opptak til studieprogram:
Molecular Medicine (MSMOLMED)
Admission to the Master of Science in Molecular Medicine at NTNU.
Vurderingsordning: Oppgave og skriftlig eksamen
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato.