Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Present position: Professor, MI Lab director
Degrees: MD, PhD [dr. med.]
1992. PhD in Medicine [dr. med.], NTNU, Trondheim, Norway. Thesis: “NMR spectroscopy of cerebral ischemia and reperfusion in rat”
1984. Medical Doctor, University of Bergen.
2007 Director of medical imaging centre (SFI) “MI Lab”
1998 - Professor in MR, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
2006 - 07 Dean for research, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU
2005 - 05 Head of Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, NTNU
2002 - 05 Vice-head of Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, NTNU
1991 - 97 Research scientist, Sintef, Trondheim, Norway
1988 - 91 Research fellowship, the Research Council of Norway
1985 - 87 Hospital physician, Harstad and Trondheim, Norway
Appointed by European Science Foundation to be main author of a Science Policy Briefing on “Medical Imaging for Improved Patient Care” (2007).
Appointed by the Norwegian Ministry of Health as member of one of the working groups in [HelseOmsorg21], a national process aimed at developing a National Research and Innovation Strategy on Healthcare for the 21st Century in Norway (2013).
Appointed by the Norwegian Ministry of Health as member of one of the working groups to develop a strategic report on the implementation of personalized medicine in Norway (2014).
Research consultant, Department of Medical Imaging, St. Olavs University Hospital.
Leader of “Norwegian Research School in Medical Imaging” (MedIm).
Partner in the RCN appointed national research infrastructure in neuroscience, NORBRAIN.
Leader of MR Core Facility at NTNU/St. Olavs Hospital.
Leader of working group for research on new MR-PET system at NTNU/St. Olavs Hospital.
Norwegian contact person for Medical Imaging in the ESFRI infrastructure EATRIS.
Norwegian contact person for Medical Imaging in the ESFRI infrastructure Euro-BioImaging.
NTNU contact person for the European Technology Platform in Nanomedicine.
Main Research Interests
Clinical and preclinical application of new functional and molecular MR methods for information about tissue physiology and organ function in brain, heart and cancer research.
Innovation of new ultrasound technology for non-expert users at initial point of care.
Multi-functional and multi-modal nanoparticles for image guided drug delivery.
Image guidance in regenerative medicine.
Establish better environments for collaboration between university, hospital and industry to promote industrial innovation and translational research in the area of medicine and health.
80 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals
h-index of 26
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2014) Dynamic contrast enhanced MRI detects early response to adoptive NK cellular immunotherapy targeting the NG2 proteoglycan in a rat model of glioblastoma. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (9).
- (2014) Periodicity in tumor vasculature targeting kinetics of ligand-functionalized nanoparticles studied by dynamic contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging and intravital microscopy. Angiogenesis. vol. 17 (1).
- (2014) Transverse relaxivity of iron oxide nanocrystals clustered in nanoemulsions: Experiment and theory. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. vol. Epub ahead of print.
- (2013) Late Gadolinium Enhancement in the Assessment of the Infarcted Mouse Heart: A Longitudinal Comparison With Manganese-Enhanced MRI. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 38 (6).
- (2012) Evaluation of Intracellular Labeling With Micron-Sized Particles of Iron Oxide (MPIOs) as a General Tool for In Vitro and In Vivo Tracking of Human Stem and Progenitor Cells. Cell Transplantation. vol. 21 (8).
- (2012) The Effect of Nanoparticle Polyethylene Glycol Surface Density on Ligand-Directed Tumor Targeting Studied in Vivo by Dual Modality Imaging. ACS Nano. vol. 6 (6).
- (2012) Assessment of left ventricular function by GPs using pocket-sized ultrasound. Family Practice. vol. 29 (5).
- (2012) Mn-alginate gels as a novel system for controlled release of Mn2+ in manganese-enhanced MRI. Contrast Media & Molecular Imaging. vol. 7 (2).
- (2012) Labelling of olfactory ensheathing cells with micron-sized particles of iron oxide and detection by MRI. Contrast Media & Molecular Imaging. vol. 7 (4).
- (2012) In vivo MRI of olfactory ensheathing cell grafts and regenerating axons in transplant mediated repair of the adult rat optic nerve. NMR in Biomedicine. vol. 25 (4).
- (2012) Entorhinal cortical thinning affects perceptual and cognitive functions in adolescents born preterm with very low birth weight (VLBW). Early Human Development. vol. 88 (2).
- (2011) DynaCT in Pre-treatment Evaluation of Aortic Aneurysm before EVAR. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. vol. 42 (3).
- (2011) Visual function and white matter microstructure in very-low-birth-weight (VLBW) adolescents - A DTI study. Vision Research. vol. 51 (18).
- (2011) Non-expert assessment of left ventricular systolic function using pocket-sized ultrasound. European Journal of Echocardiography. vol. 12.
- (2010) Non-expert assessment of left ventricular global contractility using pocket sized ultrasound machines. MITAT. Minimally invasive therapy & allied technologies. vol. 19.
- (2010) Intravital microscopy in window chambers: a unique tool to study tumor angiogenesis and delivery of nanoparticles. Angiogenesis. vol. 13 (2).
- (2010) Manganese Transport in the Rat Optic Nerve Evaluated With Spatial- and Time-Resolved Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 32 (3).
- (2009) DynaCT during EVAR: a comparison with multidetector CT. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. vol. 37 (1).
- (2009) DynaCT during EVAR - A comparison with multidetector CT. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. vol. 37 (1).
- (2009) Combination of Mn2+-Enhanced and Diffusion Tensor MR Imaging Gives Complementary Information About Injury and Regeneration in the Adult Rat Optic Nerve. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 29 (1).