SANT8004 - PhD Course in Ethnographic Method
Karakter: Bestått/Ikke bestått
This course aims to bring together PhD candidates from Nordic and other institutions for three days of intensive lectures and discussions on different aspects of the ethnographic research cycle.
The course seeks to highlight centrality of the construction and articulation of theoretical problems and ethnographic data in anthropological research. Thus, the course will cover the linkages from definition of the problem and pre-fieldwork preparation, to fieldwork strategies and dilemmas, to analysing data and preparation of the finished text. It will also include an introduction to a range of software tools available for data collection, analysis, and manuscript preparation.
Participants will be expected to submit a draft of their proposed research. This will allow proposals to be pre-circulated to and read by participants prior to the workshop. Participants will also be given the opportunity to present their proposals at the workshop.
There is no course fee, however participants are expected to cover their own travel and accommodation expenses. The number of participants accepted is limited, so early registration is highly recommended. The course is equivalent to 10 ECTS.
Upon completion, students would have acquired:
1. An understanding of the dynamics between theory, fieldwork practice and writing up of results.
2. Skills for the construction of a conceptual research problem relating it both to an empirical field situation as well as with pre-existing theoretical debates
3. Awareness of potential ethical issues.
4. Hands on experience in writing up an ethnographically based research piece.
5. First-hand experience in presenting their own research to a professional audience. Including the making and reception of peer critique.
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
Evaluation: Essay. Submission of essay is required to obtain credits. The essay must fall within one of the following categories: a) A discussion and critical appraisal of the course literature, b) an application of the course contents to the participants own research.
The essay should not exceed 8000 words (excluding bibliography and notes).
- Obligatorisk deltakelse på forelesninger
Vurderingsmelding krever godkjent undervisningsmelding samme semester. Obligatorisk aktivitet fra tidligere semester kan godkjennes av instituttet.
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato.