Rune Martin Holt
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Teaching and Research
Main courses taught at NTNU:
- TPG4112 Geomechanics & Fluid Flow in Porous Media (Part of basic course)
- TPG4185 Formation Mechanics (Advanced course in petroleum related rock mechanics, with focus on reservoir geomechanics, borehole stability, and sand production)
- TPG4170 Reservoir Seismics (Rock physics part of advanced course)
- PG8300 Formation Physics (PhD course on rock physics modelling)
Recent PhDs completed:
- Haitham Tayseer Alassi (2008) Modeling Reservoir Geomechanics using Discrete Element Method: Application to Reservoir Monitoring
- Olav Flornes (2005) Stress Dependent Fluid Flow in Porous Rock: Experiments and Network Modelling
Ongoing PhD work:
- Sergei Gorodkov: Core-Based Stress Estimation
- Morten Kolstø: Effect of water on Wave Velocities in Shale
- Glenn Gabrielsen: Operational borehole stability - Field and Laboratory Studies
- Arnt Grøver: Stress and Stress Interaction in Sedimentary Basins
- Kjartan Rimstad: Inversion of Rock Physics Relations and Discrete Random Fields (co-supervised with Professor Henning Omre)
Main research interest: Rock physics and rock mechanics for petroleum applications.
- Stress dependent wave velocities in reservoir and overburden rocks (relation to 4D seismics)
- Discrete particle modelling of sediment and sedimentary rock behaviour
- Borehole stability in shale
My research is done in close cooperation with the Formation Physics Department in SINTEF Petroleum Research.
Recent and key publications:
- Fjær, E., Holt, R.M., Horsrud, P., Raaen, A.M., Risnes, R. (2008) Petroleum Related Rock Mechanics. 2nd Ed. Elsevier, 491 pp.
- Holt, R.M., Alberts, L. (2008) A Numerical Approach to Petrophysics. E&P Magazine September 2008; pp. 87-88.
- Holt, R.M., Fjær, E., Nes, O.-M., Stenebråten, J.F. (2008) Strain Sensitivity of wave Velocities in Sediments and sedimentary Rocks" ARMA 08-291, 8 pp.
- Holt, R.M., Li, L., Holcomb, D.J. (2008) A Qualitative Comparison between Discrete Particle Modeling and Laboratory Observations of Compaction Bands in Porous Rock. ARMA 08-292, 6 pp.
- Holt, R.M., Li, L., Stenebråten, J.F. (2007) Compaction Behavior of Unbonded Granular Media: Discrete Particle vs Experimental vs Analytical Modeling. In "Rock mechanics: Meeting Society's Challenges and demands- Vol.I", ed. E Eberhardt et al., Taylor & Francis, pp. 393-401.
- Alassi, H.T., Li, L., Holt, R.M. (2006) Discrete Element Modeling of Stress and Strain Evolution within and outside a Depleting Reservoir. Pure & Appl. Geophys. 163, 1131-1151.
- Holt, R.M., Nes, O.-M., Fjær, E. (2005) In Situ Stress Sensitivity of Wave Velocities in Reservoir and Overburden Rocks. The Leading Edge December 2005, pp. 1268-1274.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2021) Anisotropic Wellbore Stability Analysis: Impact on Failure Prediction. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 54.
- (2021) Two-dimensional numerical modelling of strategies to avoid thermal stress induced flow channeling in fractured geothermal reservoirs. Geothermics. vol. 90:101978.
- (2021) Integrating rock physics laboratory data and modelling to improve uplift characterization methodology. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 69 (3).
- (2020) Offset dependence of overburden time-shifts from ultrasonic data. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 68 (6).
- (2020) Fracture Assessment of Quasi‑brittle Rock Simulated by Modified Discrete Element Method. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 53.
- (2020) A Study of the Flexural Attenuation Technique Through Laboratory Measurements and Numerical Simulations. Petrophysics. vol. 61 (4).
- (2019) Comparing mechanical and ultrasonic behaviour of a brittle and a ductile shale: Relevance to prediction of borehole stability and verification of shale barriers. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering.
- (2019) The effect of heterogeneity on multiple fracture interaction and on the effect of a non-uniform perforation cluster distribution. Geomechanics and Geophysics for Geo-Energy and Geo-Resources. vol. 5 (3).
- (2018) Numerical analysis of mixed-mode rupture propagation of faults in reservoir-caprock system in CO2 storage. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 71.
- (2018) Anisotropic poroelasticity – Does it apply to shale?. SEG technical program expanded abstracts.
- (2018) Stress Path Dependent Velocities in Shales: Impact on 4D Seismic Interpretation. Geophysics. vol. 83 (6).
- (2018) Stress-dependent elastic properties of shales—laboratory experiments at seismic and ultrasonic frequencies. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 212 (1).
- (2018) Influence of subsurface injection on time-lapse seismic: laboratory studies at seismic and ultrasonic frequencies. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 66.
- (2018) The impact of saturation on seismic dispersion in shales — Laboratory measurements. Geophysics. vol. 83 (1).
- (2017) Effect of faults on stress path evolution during reservoir pressurization. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 63.
- (2017) Overburden pore-pressure changes and their influence on 4D seismic. SEG technical program expanded abstracts.
- (2017) How does water near clay mineral surfaces influence the rock physics of shales?. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 65 (6).
- (2016) Frequency-dependent wave velocities in sediments and sedimentary rocks: Laboratory measurements and evidences. The Leading Edge. vol. 35 (6).
- (2016) Anisotropic parameters of dry and saturated sand under stress. Geophysics. vol. 81 (5).
- (2016) Variation of shear and compressional wave modulus upon saturation for pure pre-compacted sands. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 206 (1).