The course does not have a final exam and no fixed curriculum that must be read by all students. Below is a list of suggested readings, some of which have also been the topics of lectures, grouped according to the various learning goals of the course.
About computing research in general
- Peter J. Denning: "Computer Science: The Discipline", 1997
- Hartmanis, J.:Turing Award Lecture On Computational Complexity and the Nature of Computer Science, Communications of the ACM 37(10):37-43, October 1994.
- Wegner, P.: Research Paradigms in Computer Science, Proc. ICSE'76
About research methods
Research and research methods in general:
Creswell, J. W. Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches
- Donald Stokes: Pasteur's Quadrant - Basic Science and Technological Innovation, Brookings 1997.
- Wayne C. Booth, Gregory C. Colomb, Joseph M. Williams: The Craft of Research, The University of Chicago Press, 2003.
- Louis Cohen, Lawrence Manion and Keith Morrison: Research Methods in Education, RoutledgeFalmer, 2000.
- Colin Robson: Real World Research, Blackwell, 2002.
Proofs, matemathical modeling, simulation:
- Gary Chartrand, Albert D. Polimeni, Ping Zhang: Mathematical Proofs - A Transition to Advanced Mathematics, Addision-Wesley, 2003.
- Kevin Dooley: "Simulation Research Methods". In Joel Baum (ed.): Companion to Organizations, Blackwell, 2002, pp 829-848, http://www.public.asu.edu/~kdooley/papers/simchapter.PDF
- Chris Hart, Doing a Literature Review: Releasing the social science research imagination, Sage, 1998.
- Barbara Kitchenham, Procedures for performing systematic reviews, Tech.rep.Keele University, UK, July 2004, 33 p.
- Hevner, S. March, J. Park, and S. Ram, Design Science Research in Information Systems, Management Information Systems Quarterly, Vol. 28, No. 1, March 2004, pp. 75-105.
- Vijay K. Vaishnavi and William Kuechler Jr. Design Science Research Methods and Patterns: Innovating Information and Communication Technology, Auerbach, 2007.
- Normand L. Frigon and David Mathews, Practical Guide to Experimental Design, Wiley, 1997.
- Andy Field and Graham Hole, How to design and report experiments, Sage, 2003.
- Thomas D. Cook and Donald T. Campbell, Quasi-Experimentation: Design & Analysis Issues for Field Settings, Houghton Miffin, 1979.
- Adrian Burr and Mal Owen, Statistical Methods for Software Quality: Using Metrics for Process Improvement, Thomson Computer Press, 1996.
- George E. P. Box, William G. Hunter, and J. Stuart Hunter, Statistics for Experimenters, Wiley, 1978.
- Tichy, W. F., Should Computer Scientists Experiment More? IEEE Computer, 31(5), May 1998, 32-40
- Zelkovitz, M. V., & Wallace, D. R, Experimental. Models for Validating Technology, IEEE Computer, May,. 1998, pp. 23-31.
- Don A. Dillman. Mail and Internet Surveys - The tailored design method, Wiley, 2000.
- Louis M. Rea and Richard A. Parker. Designing and Conducting Survey Research - A comprehensive guide, Jossey-Bass, 1997.
- Baroudi, J.J., and Orlikowski, W. J.: The Problem of Statistical Power in MIS Research, MIS Quarterly 13(1):87-106, March 1989.
- W. E. Deming, Some Theory of Sampling, Dover, 1950.
- Siegel and Castellan, Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
Qualitative research methods
- Anselm Strauss and Juliet Corbin, Basics of Qualitative Research: Grounded Theory Procedures and Techniques, Sage, 1990.
- Siverman, D. Doing Qualitative Research, Sage, 2000.
- Ernest T. Stringer, Action Research, Sage, 1999.
- Steinar Kvale, InterViews: An Introduction to Qualitative Research Interviewing, Sage, 1996.
- Jane F. Templeton, The Focus Group: A strategic guide to organizing, conducting, and analyzing the focus group interview, McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- Robert K. Yin, Case Study Research: Design and Methods, Sage, 2003.
- Robert K. Yin, Appliciations of Case Study Research, Sage, 2003.
On how to write good papers and theses
- Rowena Murray: Writing for Academic Journals, Open University Press, 2005.
- Rowena Murray: How to write a thesis, Open University Press, 2002.
- Joseph M. Williams: Style - Toward Clarity and Grace, University of Chicago Press, 1990.
- Mary Shaw: Writing Good Software Engineering Research Paper, In Proc. ICSE 2003 pp 726-737.
- Bimal K. Bose: How to get a paper accepted in TRANSACTIONS?, http://tie.ieee-ies.org/tie/HowToTransactionsPaper.pdf
- Claes Wohlin: An analysis of the most cited articles in software engineering journals - 2000, Information and Software Technology 49(1):2-11, January 2007.
Examples of good research (and good papers) at IDI
- Aamodt Agnar and Plaza Enric, Case-based reasoning : Foundational issues, methodological variations, and system approaches, AI Communications, 7(1), March 1994.
- Reidar Conradi and Bernhard Westfechtel, Version models for software configuration management, ACM Computing Surveys, 30(2):232-282, 1998.
Analytical research papers
- Jan Komorowski: An Introduction to Partial Deduction. META 1992: 49-69
- Odd Ivar Lindland, Guttorm Sindre, Arne Sølvberg: Understanding Quality in Conceptual Modeling, IEEE Software, March 1994.
- Arne Halaas, Børge Svingen, Magnar Nedland, Pål Sætrom, Ola R. Snøve Jr., Olaf René Birkeland: A recursive MISD architecture for pattern matching. IEEE Trans. VLSI Syst. 12(7): 727-734 (2004)
- Will Archer Arentz, Bjørn Olstad: Classifying offensive sites based on image content. Computer Vision and Image Understanding 94(1-3): 295-310 (2004)
- Kjetil Nørvåg: The Vagabond Approach to Logging and Recovery in Transaction-Time Temporal Object Database Systems. IEEE Trans. Knowl. Data Eng. 16(4): 504-518 (2004)
- Ekaterina Prasolova-Førland, Monica Divitini: Collaborative virtual environments for supporting learning communities: an experience of use. GROUP 2003: 58-67
- Kjetil Nørvåg: Granularity reduction in temporal document databases. Inf. Syst. 31(2): 134-147 (2006)
- Myhrer, Per Trygve; Stålhane, Tor. Student experiment using Preliminary Hazard Analysis. The 4th International Workshop on Critical Systems Development Using Modeling Languages, 2005.
- John Krogstie, Arthur Jahr, Dag I. K. Sjøberg: A longitudinal study of development and maintenance in Norway: Report from the 2003 investigation. Information & Software Technology 48(11): 993-1005 (2006)
- Torgeir Dingsøyr, Geir Kjetil Hanssen, Tore Dybå, Geir Anker, Jens Olav Nygaard: Developing Software with Scrum in a Small Cross-Organizational Project. EuroSPI 2006: 5-15
- Jørn Braa, Eric Monteiro and Sundeep Sahay. Networks of action: sustainable health information systems across developing countries, MIS Quarterly, 28(3):337-362, 2004. Special issue on Action research
- Knut H. Rolland and Eric Monteiro. Balancing the local and the global in infrastructural information systems, The Information Society,18(2):87-100, 2002
- Torgeir Dingsøyr, Hans Karim Djarraya, Emil Røyrvik: Practical knowledge management tool use in a software consulting company. Commun. ACM 48(12): 96-100 (2005)