The daily running of the XRD-lab summer 2022
- Damian Brzozowski will be the lab responsible for summer 2022 and will be available for user support and can be contacted for instrument malfunction.
- The booking system was changed on May 15th 2021 and we are now using BookitLab (link to log in: https://core.bookitlab.com/ntnu/) as booking system.
- The DaVinci1-diffractometer will be loaded as normal, see below.
- Grazing-incidence are now done on the DaVinci2 instrument, please ask for training if you have this type of samples.
- Support by email or show up at the office (K2-106). For small and quick questions, you could also stop me in the lab and I will help if I have time.
Normal User support
- Routine diffractometer (DaVinci1) will normally be loaded and measurements started every weekday at approximately 9:00 and at 15:30 (if practically possible).
- Support will be offered on-demand. Please contact lab responsible by email or come to the office (K2-106). For small and quick questions you could also stop me in the lab and I will help if I have time.
- Lab events / shut-downs / instrument statuses etc. will be posted in the Booking system
XRD training and courses
- The instrument training courses. This training is required for new users of the lab/instruments, and they are arranged every second week (every week or more often at semester start in the fall), normally Mondays at 14:00-15:15. It is recommended to wait until your samples are ready or nearly ready. Please fill in this form: https://forms.office.com/r/jNrzzN06sM, and then I can adapt the training better for your requirements.
If you are external to NTNU, and the link above doesn't work, simply send an email: Contact info
- Introduction to EVA XRD data analysis software: (voluntary). 60 minutes, occasionally arranged when sufficient requests. If you are interested, please fill out this survey: https://forms.office.com/r/U2SkkziyjK
- Workshop in further data analysis using Topas: (voluntary). 3 x 2 hours (3 consecutive weeks). If you are interested, please fill out this survey: https://forms.office.com/r/7mWMVwkYXF
The year in the XRD-lab
September - November: Many new users are coming during this period and we arrange instrument trainings for new users almost every week, or even more often if necessary.
Mid-October - November: TOPAS Workshops will be arranged. The TOPAS Workshop assumes some basic knowledge of diffraction, for example TMT4130/TMT4166 or the FACET crash course.
December - January: Reduced service levels in the XRD-lab over the Christmas holiday period, thereafter possibly reduced service due to maintenance and upkeep.
February-May: XRD-lab running as normal, instrument trainings are arranged approximately every fortnight
Late May - Early June: Instrument service period if necessary
Late May - Early June: Topas Workshop will be arranged if sufficient demand, if you are interested, please fill out this survey: https://forms.office.com/r/7mWMVwkYXF
Mid June - mid-August: reduced service levels in the XRD-lab. This is because of holiday / needed time for maintenance and upkeep. That means that only people that are already trained and have access can use the lab (i.e. no new trainings).
Prices for using the XRD-lab, valid for 2021
(oppdragspriser) - please ask for a quote
|Per hour||Price for using the diffractometers||274|
|Per hour||Technical Support||541|
|Per day||Price for using the Non-ambient system||2463|
|One-time Fee||Start-up training (in groups)||350|
|Semester Fee||Fixed price for using the diffractometers for one semester||13794|
Instruments in the K2-XRD-lab:
|Name of equipment||Link to more information|
|Routine Powder Diffractometer (DaVinci1)||DaVinci1|
|9-position sample holder powder diffractometer (D8 Focus)||D8 Focus|
|Siemens D5005 with monochromator (A-unit)||A-unit|
|Multipurpose Powder X-ray diffractometer (DaVinci2)||DaVinci2|
|Non-ambient X-ray diffractometer (D8 Advance)||D8 Advance|
For the start-up training, you will be put in small groups of around 2-3 participants (signing up ca. 4 days in advance) and you will be sent a powerpoint presentation with videos to watch before coming to the training. In quiet times of the year (December to August), this means that you might have to wait up to a few weeks for the group to fill up. In the period September-November, there will normally be at least one training per week. We recommend that you have your samples ready - or nearly ready - at the time of the the training. Then it is easier for us to tailor the training for your specific type of samples, in addition to you being better able to remember the training until you next need to use the instrument on your own. At the start-up training, you will be trained on either DaVinci1 or D8-Focus (please let lab responsible know if you have any preferences on which one), and then you will be qualified to use that specific instrument.
If you have to cancel your training, then please notify the lab responsible at least one day in advance - otherwise your project will be charged for your training anyway.
Access to the lab will be given after the start-up training is completed.
Some of you might need to use other instruments than the one you had the start-up training on, and then you need to agree a time with lab responsible for specific instrument training. If you cannot wait for a few more participants and therefore are alone at the training, then you will need to pay the full price for technical support (see table above).