Siemens D5005, with quartz primary monochromator and CuKα1 radiation. Scintillation detector. Optimised for high quality powder data collection.
Well suited for:
- Collection of data for structure solution and/or Rietveld refinement
- Investigation of strain and crystallite size effects (due to tight and symmetrical line-shape characteristics of the instrument).
Not so good for:
- Samples containing fluorescing elements (Fe, Co, Mn), depending on the concentration.
Photo: Julian Tolchard
- Bragg-Brentano geometry
- θ–2θ operating mode
- Data collection from 0.5° (but 15°-20° in normal mode) to 140° 2θ
- 2.5° primary and secondary Soller slits
- Rotating single sample holder with user selectable rotation speeds
Before you begin:
Equipment may not be used without training. See XRD-lab info.
Booking the instrument
Use the booking system.