Holiday shut down
The XRD-lab will be shut down for the Christmas and New Years Holiday starting from 11:00 on Friday 20th of December.
Instrument service is booked from Tuesday 7th to Thursday 9th January, so everything is expected be back to normal on Friday 10th January. However, if you have urgent samples for the routine powder diffractometer (DaVinci1), please come to the lab before 15:00 on Monday 6th, and we will measure them as soon as we can. We also expect the D8-Focus to be operationable in the afternoon (and overnight) on the 6th.
Normal User support
- Lab assistant for loading/unloading samples for the Routine Powder Diffractometer (DaVinci1): Viviann Hole, email@example.com , office: K2-333. Please contact her if you have specific questions about sample loading times etc.
- Routine diffractometer (DaVinci1) will normally be loaded and measurements started every weekday at approximately 9-10 and 15:45 (if practically possible).
- Normal support time for XRD questions will be Tuesdays-Thursdays: 10:30-11:30 (Priority for new grazing-incidence-XRD-users on Wednesdays).
- Out-of-office days for Kristin Wells: normally Mondays
- Lab events / shut-downs / instrument statuses etc will be posted in the Booking system (click on the "Dashboard" tab, or check the X-Ray Diffraction booking calendar)
XRD training and courses
- The instrument training courses. This training is required for new users of the lab/instruments, and they are arranged every second week, normally Thursdays at 9-10. It is recommended to wait until your samples are ready or nearly ready. Please fill in this form, and then we can adapt the training better for your requirements.Contact info
- Introduction to XRD data analysis software: (voluntary). 45 minutes, occasionally arranged when sufficient requests. Next course will be held on Tuesday 4th February at 09:15-10:00. Please register in Læringsportalen if you want to participate: https://studntnu.sharepoint.com/sites/kurs/Sider/Introduksjon-til-XRD-data-analyse-software.aspx
- Workshop in further data analysis using Topas: (voluntary). 3 x 2 hours (3 consecutive weeks). Next course will be held on Tuesdays 9-11 on 11th, 18th and 25th of February. Please register in Læringsportalen if you want to participate: https://studntnu.sharepoint.com/sites/kurs/Sider/Topas-Workshop.aspx
The year in the XRD-lab
September - November: Many new users are coming during this period and we arrange instrument trainings for new users almost every week, or even more often if necessary.
Mid-October - November: TOPAS Workshops will be arranged. The TOPAS Workshop assumes some basic knowledge of diffraction, for example TMT4130/TMT4166 or the FACET crash course.
December - January: Reduced service levels in the XRD-lab over the Christmas holiday period, thereafter possibly reduced service due to maintenance and upkeep.
February-May: XRD-lab running as normal, instrument trainings are arranged approximately every fortnight
Late May - Early June: Instrument service period if necessary
Late May - Early June: Topas Workshop will be arranged if sufficient demand, fill in this form if you are interested (or send me an email if you can't get access).
Mid June - mid-August: reduced service levels in the XRD-lab. This is because of holiday / needed time for maintenance and upkeep. That means that only people that are already trained and have access can use the lab (i.e. no new trainings).
Prices for using the XRD-lab, valid for 2019
(oppdragspriser) - please ask for a quote
|Per hour||Price for using the diffractometers||234|
|Per day||Price for using the diffractometers||2104|
|Per hour||Technical Support||533|
|Per day||Price for using the Non-ambient system||2104|
|One-time Fee||Start-up training (in groups)||222|
Instruments in the K2-XRD-lab:
|Name of equipment||Link to more information|
|Routine Powder Diffractometer (DaVinci1)||DaVinci1|
|9-position sample holder powder diffractometer (D8 Focus)||D8 Focus|
|Siemens D5005 with monochromator (A-unit)||A-unit|
|Multipurpose Powder X-ray diffractometer (DaVinci2)||DaVinci2|
|Non-ambient X-ray diffractometer (D8 Advance)||D8 Advance|
For the start-up training, you will be put in small groups of around 3 participants (signing up ca. 4 days in advance) and you will be sent a powerpoint presentation with videos to watch before coming to the training. In quiet times of the year (December to August), this means that you might have to wait up to a few weeks for the group to fill up. In the period September-November, there will normally be at least one training per week. We recommend that you have your samples ready - or nearly ready - at the time of the the training. Then it is easier for us to tailor the training for your specific type of samples, in addition to you being better able to remember the training until you next need to use the instrument on your own. At the start-up training, you will be trained on either DaVinci1 or D8-Focus (please let lab responsible know if you have any preferences on which one), and then you will be qualified to use that specific instrument. When you find out you need the XRD-training, please email lab responsible for being put on a waiting list for the relevant training.
If you have to cancel your training, then please notify the lab responsible at least one day in advance - otherwise your project will be charged for your training anyway.
Access to the lab will be given after the start-up training is completed.
Some of you might need to use other instruments than the one you had the start-up training on, and then you need to agree a time with lab responsible for specific instrument training. If you cannot wait for a few more participants and therefore are alone at the training, then you will need to pay the full price for technical support (see table above).
Booking and logging the use of the diffractometers
After the measurements - understanding the data