The AccuPyc II 1340 is used to measure the volume and density of a sample.
2. GAS DISPLACEMENT PYCNOMETRY
This technique uses the gas displacement method to measure volume accurately. Inert gases - such as helium or nitrogen - are used as the displacement medium. The sample is sealed in the instrument compartment of a know volume, the appropriate inert gas is admitted, and then expanded into another precision internal colume. The pressures observed upon filling the sample chamber and then discharging it into a second empty chamber allow computation of the sample solid phase colume. Helium molecules rapidly fill pores as small as one angström in diameter: only the solid phase of the sample displaces the gas. Dividing this volume into the sample weight gives the gas displacement density.
3. TARGET GROUP
Solid state materials, powders and objects up to 70cm3
4. DEFINITION AND ABBREVIATIONS
True (Absolute Density) - The mass of a substance divided by its volume, exluding open and closed (or blind) pores. Standard analysis with the AccuPyc gives us this value.
Bulk Density / Envelope Density / Skeletal (Apparent Density) - Density that includes pores,
Before You Begin
- Contact equipment responsible : Elin Harboe Albertsen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Equipment may not be used without training.
- Contact room responsible for access : Elin Harboe Albertsen <email@example.com>¨
- Read this: Info før opplæring i pyknometer, ENG.docx