TVM5132 - Prefeasibility Study in Hydropower Development
The project work covers a pre-feasibility (desk) study for an actual river system which is carried out in groups of 3-5 students.
Knowledge: The candidate should have knowledge on:
Hydropower planning methods
– Important data sources for hydrology, geology, topography and cost
– Technical layout and components in different main types of hydropower projects (Storage, Run-of-river, Pumped Storage …)
Skills: The candidate should be able to: Identify promising hydropower sites (projects) within a large region
- Compute energy potential and realistic generation capacity for each project
– Compute benefit and cost for each project
– Assess environmental impacts for each project
- Select the best project(s) among many by comparing benefit, cost and environmental impacts in a systematic way
– Present a ranked list of projects to a client and explain the reasoning behind the proposal
General competence: The candidate can understand the role of hydropower in a larger power system and how to apply integrated planning methods for hydropower projects. The students shall be able to address technical, economic and environmental issues of hydropower development of a river basin on a pre-feasibility level, and how to report, present and discuss main findings with a client
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
Lectures covering project identification, the screening process etc. and supervision throughout the project period as required by the students will be given. The main part of the work is organized as group-work including presentation and reporting of the results. The project work also includes at least one field-trip to the project site for fact-finding and verification of planning hypotesis. The field-trip may also include measurements and data acquisition.
The project work assumes completion of the basic courses: Dam Engineering, Geology and tunnelling, Hydrology for hydropower, Hydraulic design, Planning hydropower, Environment and economics.
Various relevant data such as topographic maps, hydrology data, geology maps, NVE's data base on costs, etc.
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato.