Research and development project for Concedo
Start: April 2021
End: May/June 2021
Duration: 8-12 weeks, 15 hours per week
Team: 3 students
The project initiated by Concedo is facilitated through The Innovation Effect's learning and innovation program. The students who participate work in interdisciplinary teams on solving real challenges for the company, with the mandate to innovate and present new ideas. The goal of the program is to stimulate learning and co-creation between young creative minds and innovative companies. The project is paid, part-time with flexible workhours, and is compatible with full-time studies and other part-time jobs. All project work and meetings will be carried out digitally.
About the project:
Concedo AS is a Norwegian oil company focusing on exploration activities on the Norwegian Continental Shelf. One of the company's key activities is the collection and analysis of 3D seismic data, illustrating the geological structures and layers in the earth's subsurface. But seismic images can be difficult to interpret, as they usually become quite blurred. Now, Concedo is looking for an interdisciplinary student team to help explore a new possibility within seismic inversion. The main objective of the project is to help Concedo to produce sharper seismic images through inversion with 3D point spread function (PSF). This method enables a reconstruction of the images' spike trains illustrating the geological layers, making it easier to identify possible oil and gas deposits.
The student team will be tasked with the following key activities:
- Development of an algorithm in Python/Matlab with the purpose to automatically estimate, and then remove/optimize, the PSF from Concedo's seismic images
- Testing of the algorithm v.1 on seismic datasets and models, with the aim to further adjust the code and develop a v.2 with improved performance
- Market and technology research, mapping cutting-edge technologies from other disciplines where similar PSF algorithms have proven successful, like astrophysics and medicine
- Development of a final report with strategic recommendations for Concedo's further work
With guidance and mentoring from The Innovation Effect (TIE), the students will be responsible for project management and planning, completing the project tasks and activities, and the delivery of a final report to Concedo. The team will also participate in digital project meetings and a mini workshop with Concedo and TIE, and prepare presentations for the meetings.
We seek last-year bachelor students or master students with the following competence:
- Geophysics – petroleum geophysics, seismic, geophysical/seismic inversion
- Mathematics – optimization, programming, Python/Matlab
- Physics – wave physics, Fourier transform
Application deadline: 22. March 2021 – but we are recruiting continuously!
Apply by registering your profile through our recruitment platform here. If you have any questions regarding the project, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.