Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Roy Nilsen, born 1956, is professor in Electric Drives at the Department of Electric Power Engineering at NTNU. He holds an MSC and PhD in Electrical Engineering from NTH/NTNU 1983/84 and 1987, respectively. He was professor in Electric Drives in the period 1996-2006 and in again in fulltime position as professor since April 2017.
He has more than 30 years experience within R&D in the field of Electrical Drives, both in industrial- and marine drives. In the period 1984 until 1987 he was part-time employed by Norwegian Electric Brown Boveri (NEBB), today Asea Brown Boveri (ABB). From 1987 until 1996 he was full-time employed at ABB. In 1988/89 he was working at ABB Drives in Turgi, Switzerland. In 1993/94 he was Program Manager for Automotive Drives, R&D , AC Drives in ABB. In the years 1995-1996 he was Senior Research Manager at ABB Corporate Research, Norway. From 1996-2006 he was a professor within Electric Drives at NTNU. In the period 2001 until 2006, he was part-time employed at Aker/Wärtsilä and was responsible for the motor SW development in the Power Drive development (800-5000 kW 690 V marine drives). From 2006-2017 he was full-time employed at Wärtsilä/The Switch. In addition, he was a technical advisor at Smart Motor from 2001 to 2013. Since 1993 he has been one of the Norwegian members in the International Steering Committee (ISC) for European Power Electronics conference (EPE).
Fields of research have been sensorless control, motor control in general, resonance converters for electrostatic filters and sub-marines, marine drives and on-board DC-distribution. He has also worked with modelling and life-time calculation for batteries used on-board ferries and Offshore Supply Vessels.
Books/Lecture Notes/ PhD thesis:
Nilsen Roy: Elektriske motordrifter. Lecture Notes , NTNU Trondheim 2004.
211 pages - 3rd edition
Nilsen Roy: Electric Drives. Lecture Notes , NTNU Trondheim 2016.
211 pages - 4th edition.
Nilsen Roy: Modeling, identification and control of an induction machine
Dr.-Ing. Thesis NTH, Trondheim – 1987
Selected academic and professional publications:
[P1] Maharjan M., : Implementation of Synchronous Optimal Modulation in
Undeland T.M, Nilsen R. Field Programmable Gate Array. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Power and Energy Systems (ICPS), 28-30 October 2013, Kathmandu, Nepal
[P2] Gjerde S.S, Ljøkelsøy K. , : A Modular Series Connected Converter Structure Suitable for a .
R. Nilsen, T. Undeland High-Voltage Direct Current Transformerless Offshore Wind
Turbine. Journal: Wind Energy 2013
[P3] Nilsen R. , Sørfonn I : Hybrid Power Generation Systems, Invited paper for
EPE 2009, Barcelona
[P4] Gullvik W; Nilsen R., : Active Damping of Resonance Oscillations in LCL-filter Based on
Norum, L Virtual Flux and Virtual Resistor. EPE2007 Riga
[P5] Øvrebø S; Nilsen R. : New Self Sensing Scheme Based on INFORM, Heterodyning
and Luenberger Observer, IEMCD, Madison, Wisconsin,
1 - 4 June 2003
[P6] Tomta G.; Lund, R ; : Calculation of AC side harmonic losses in three-level converters
Nilsen R. Converters. EPE 2003, Tolouse, France
[P7] Lund, R ; Beverfjord J. : Reduced Analytic Power Loss Expressions for Diode Clamped
Øvrebø S; Nilsen R. Converters. EPE-PEMC 2002 Dubrovnik.
[P8] T. Melaa, A.K. Ådnanes, : Evaluation of resonant converters for increased softswitching
K. Øye, T.F. Nestli , range. EPE97- Trondheim
R. Nilsen, P. Ranstad
[P9] R. Nilsen , : Direct Torque Controlled induction motor drive utilized in an
T. Kasteenpohja electrical vehicle
EPE'95 - Sevilla, Spain
[P10] A.K. Ådnanes, R. Nilsen , : Efficiency Analysis of Electrical Vehicles, with Emphasis
R. Løken, L. Norum on Efficiency Optimized Excitation
IEEE IAS annual meeting , Tororonto, Oct. 02-08. 1993
[P11] T.F. Nestli, : Evaluation and comparison of predictor models for rotor flux
R. Nilsen calculation in induction motors
IEEE PESC'94- Taipei, Taiwan
[P12] R. Nilsen , : New Reduced-order observer with parameter adaption for
M.P. Kazmierkowski flux estimation in induction motors
IEEE PESC'92-Toledo Spain
[P13] R. Nilsen , : Reduced-order observer with parameter adaption for fast rotor
M.P. Kazmierkowski flux estimation in induction machines
IEE Proceedings, Vol.136, Pt.D, No. 1, January 1989
[P14] K. Vangen, T. Melaa, : Efficient high-frequency soft-switched power converter with
S. Bergsmark, R. Nilsen signal processor control
INTELEC'91 - Nov.1991
[P15] G. Tomta , R. Nilsen: Analytical equations for three level NPC converters.
EPE'2001 - Graz, Austria
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2014) A modular series connected converter structure suitable for a high-voltage direct current transformerless offshore wind turbine. Wind Energy. vol. 17 (12).
- (2007) Voltage and frequency control of parallel operated synchronous generator and induction generator with STATCOM in micro hydro scheme. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 1.
Del av bok/rapport
- (2007) Active Damping of Resonance Oscillations in LCL-Filters Based on Virtual Flux and Virtual Resistor. EPE 2007 12th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications.
- (2007) Active Damping of Resonance Oscillations in LCL-Filters Based on Virtual Flux and Virtual Resistor. EPE 2007 - the 12th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applicartions . EPE Association; Ålborg. 2007-09-02 - 2007-09-05.
- (2004) Output Harmonic Losses in Three-level Converters using Sine PWM with 3. Harmonic Injection. NORPIE 2004 . NTNU, Inst. for elkraftteknikk, energiomforming; NTNU, Trondheim. 2004-06-14 - 2004-06-16.
- (2004) Saliency Modeling in Radial Flux Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines. NORPIE 2004 . NTNU, Institutt for elkraftteknikk, Energiomforming; NTNU, Trondheim. 2004-06-14 - 2004-06-16.
- (2004) High Frequency Flux Distribution in Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines. NORPIE 2004 . NTNU, Inst.itutt for elkraftteknikk, energiomforming; NTNU, Trondheim. 2004-06-14 - 2004-06-16.
- (2003) Analytical Calculations of AC Side Harmonic Losses in Three-Level Converters. The 10th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications - EPE 2003 . [Mangler data]; Toulouse, France. 2003-09-04.
- (2003) New self sensing scheme based on INFORM, heterodyning and Luenberger observer. IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference . [Mangler data]; Madison, Wisconsin, USA. 2003-06-04.
- (2003) New self sensing scheme based on INFORM, heterodyning and Luenberger observer. The 2003 Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference - AUPEC 2003 . [Mangler data]; New Zealand. 2003-10-01.
- (2002) Analytical power loss expressions for diode clamped converters. EPE-PEMC 2002 . [Mangler data]; Dubrovnik, Croatia. 2002-09-11.
- (2002) Analytical Power Loss Expressions for diode clamped converters. NORPIE 2002 . [Mangler data]; Stockholm, Sweden. 2002-08-14.
- (2002) Calculation of AC side harmonic losses in three-level converters. NORPIE 2002 . [Mangler data]; Stockholm, Sweden. 2002-08-14.
- (2001) Analytical equations for three level NPC converters. 9th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications . [Mangler data]; Graz, Austria. 2001-08-29.
- (1997) Steady-state power flow and efficiency optimizing analysis of a variable speed constant frequency generating system. 7th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications . [Mangler data]; Trondheim.
- (1997) Evaluation of resonant converters for increased softswitching range. 7th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications . [Mangler data]; Trondheim.