Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Biophysics & Medical Technology, Biomedical Photonics, Raman Spectroscopy, Nonlinear Optical Microscopy, Optics-Based Tools for Biomedical and Analytical Applications, Chronic Disease
2015-2018 : Project Leader and Postdoctoral Research Scientist
- NASA - Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California, USA
- MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA
- NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
2012-2015 : Research Fellow, Biophysics and Medical Technology, NTNU, Norway
2009-2011 : Marie-Curie Research Fellow (European-Union/FP7), United-Kingdom (UK)
- 2012-2015: Ph.D. in PHYSICS (Biophysics and Medical Technology), Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway.
- 2004-2009: MSc. in PHOTONICS, International School of Photonics, Cochin University of Science and Technology. Thesis work in SKKU, South-Korea.
- 2011-2011: Certified Pedagogical Education (one-semester postgraduate level classroom course), University of St. Andrews, United-Kingdom (UK).
Awards, Research Grants and Fellowships (selected list)
2018-2021: Indo-Norway Grant in Review - Research Council of Norway
2018-2019: Project Partner (No:250158) - Research Council of Norway
2015-2018: PI of Project (No:46084300) - Health Authority of Central Norway
2017-2017: PI of Project (No:90191400) - Health Authority of Central Norway
2014: SPIE Award by International Society for Optics and Photonics, USA.
2012-2013: PI of Project-Internationalization of Medical Technology, Norway.
2012-2013: PI of Project-Medical Imaging (MedIm) Grant, NTNU, Norway.
2012-2015: Research Fellowship, NTNU Fakultet for Naturvitenskap, Norway.
2012 onwards: Associate Fellow of The Higher Education Academy, UK.
2009-2012: Marie-Curie Research Fellowship (European-Union / FP7), UK.
2008-2009: Visiting Research Fellowship, SKKU, South-Korea.
2008-2008: Summer Research Fellowship, TIFR- Mumbai
2007-2007: Summer Research Fellowship, IIT- Madras
2006-2006: Summer Research Fellowship, IISc- Bengaluru
2005-2009: KVPY - National Fellowship, DST, Gov. of India.
2008: National Level Award by Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Delhi.
2006: National Level Award by Indian Physics Association (IPA), Mumbai.
Sponsored (Funded) R&D Projects
- Clinical Application of Multiphoton Microscopy and Raman Spectroscopy: Focus on Osteoarthritis.
- Compact Analytical and Bioanalytical Instrument for NASA’s Future Missions
- Development of a Novel Optical Tool for the Use in Orthopaedics.
- Fiber-optics based low-cost Raman probe for antibiotic detection in Urine.
- MRI Compatible Medical Photonic Device for Integrated Interventional Imaging Operating System.
Laboratory-based R&D Projects
- Raman spectroscopy analysis of osteoarthritic human cartilage and bone.
- Single-cell analysis of human chondrocytes using Raman Spectroscopy.
- Bio-mechanical Investigation of Human Osteoarthritic Cartilage.
- Development of a portable optical module for Polarization-Resolved Second Harmonic Microscopy for biomedical applications.
- Noninvasive bioanalytical investigation of human biofluids using Raman spectroscopy.
- Design and development of a novel Raman Spectroscopy optical-system
- Development of an evanescent wave fiber-optic sensor for trace detection of contamination in water.
- Fabrication and fluorescence characterization of dye-doped polymer optical fiber.
- Design and development of compact polymer optical-fiber drawing machine.
- "Comparison of Compressive Stress-Relaxation Behavior in Osteoarthritic (ICRS Graded) Human Articular Cartilage". Rajesh Kumar, David M. Pierce, Vidar Isaksen, Catharina de Lange Davies, Jon O. Drogset, Magnus B. Lilledahl. Preprints 2017, 2017110035. DOI:10.20944/preprints201711.0035.v1
- "Multiphoton microscopy of osteoarthritic articular cartilage". Rajesh Kumar, Catharina L. Davies, Jon O. Drogset and Magnus B. Lilledahl. Optics in the Life Sciences, OSA Technical Digest ISBN: 978-1-943580-25-5, Optical Society of America (2017), DOI.org/10.1364/NTM.2017.NW4C.4
- “Automated Polarization Second Harmonic Generation.” Elisabeth I. Romijn, Andreas Finnøy, Rajesh Kumar, and Magnus B. Lilledahl. SCANDEM, Nordic Microscopy Society (2016), Trondheim, Norway.
- "Nonlinear optical microscopy of early stage (ICRS Grade-I) osteoarthritic human cartilage." Rajesh Kumar, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Catharina L. Davies, Jon O. Drogset, and Magnus B. Lilledahl. Biomedical Optics Express 2015, 6(5), 1895-1903. DOI: 10.1364/BOE.6.001895
- "Polarization second harmonic generation microscopy provides quantitative enhanced molecular specificity for tissue diagnostics". Rajesh Kumar, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Elisabeth I. Romijn, Andreas Finnøy, Catharina L. Davies, Jon O. Drogset and Magnus B. Lilledahl. Journal of Biophotonics, Wiley-VCH, 8(9):730-9 (2015), DOI: 10.1002/jbio.201400086
- “High resolution pictures reveal signs of osteoarthritis. Høyoppløste bilder avslører tegn på slitasjegikt". Rajesh Kumar. Popular Science Article, published in http://forskning.no/ and http://www.gemini.no (2015)
- "Single Cell Confocal Raman Spectroscopy of Human Osteoarthritic Chondrocytes: A Preliminary Study" . Rajesh Kumar, Gajendra P. Singh, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Nils Afseth, Catharina L. Davies, Jon O. Drogset and Magnus B. Lilledahl. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2015, 16(5), 9341-9353; DOI:10.3390/ijms16059341
- "Optical investigation of osteoarthritic human cartilage (ICRS Grade) by confocal Raman spectroscopy: A pilot study". Rajesh Kumar, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Nils K. Afseth, Vidar Isaksen, Catharina de Lange Davies, Jon O. Drogset and Magnus B. Lilledahl, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry (Springer)), 407(26):8067-77 (2015). DOI: 10.1007/s00216-015-8979-5
- “Mueller matrix three-dimensional directional imaging of collagen fibers”. Pål G Ellingsen, Lars M Sandvik Aas, Vegard S Hagen, Rajesh Kumar, Magnus B Lilledahl, Morten Kildemo. Journal of Biomedical Optics 19(2), 026002 (2014).
- “Analysis of human knee osteoarthritic cartilage using polarization sensitive second harmonic generation microscopy”. Rajesh Kumar, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Elisabeth I. Romijn,Jon O. Drogset,Magnus B. Lilledahl. Proc. of SPIE- the international society for optical engineering. Vol. 9129, 91292Z (2014). DOI: 10.1117/12.2051989.
- “A facile and real-time spectroscopic method for biofluid analysis in point-of-care diagnostics”. Rajesh Kumar, Singh GP, Barman I, Dingari NC, Nabi G. Bioanalysis, Journal of Future Science Group (fsg). 5(15):1853-61 (2013). DOI: 10.4155/bio.13.126.
- “Mueller Matrix imaging on biomedical samples - collagen fibers and atherosclerotic plaques”. Pål Gunnar Ellingsen, Lars Martin Sandvik Aas, Vegard Hagen, Rajesh Kumar, Håkan Gustafsson, Magnus Borstad Lilledahl, Morten Kildemo, Mikael Lindgren. 6th International Conference on Spectroscopic Ellipsometry, May 26-31, 2013 Kyoto, Japan.
- "Selective sampling using confocal Raman spectroscopy provides enhanced specificity for urinary bladder cancer diagnosis". Barman I, Dingari NC, Singh GP, Rajesh Kumar, Lang S, Nabi G. Journal of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2012; 404(10):3091-9. DOI: 10.1007/s00216-012-6424-6.
- “Multi-Photon Microscopy: Adding prospective new dimensions to Osteoarthritis”. Rajesh Kumar and Magnus Borstad Lilledahl. The 4th National PhD Conference in Medical Imaging, 28 - 29 Nov 2012,Trondheim, Norway.
- “Characterization of collagen fiber in cartilage tissue by Müller matrix and non-linear optical imaging”. Rajesh Kumar, Pål Gunnar Ellingsen, Morten Kildemo and Magnus B. Lilledahl. 5th Annual Norwegian Molecular Imaging Consortium(NorMIC), 25-26 October 2012, University of Bergen, Norway.
- “Intra-operative photonic diagnosis”. Rajesh Kumar, Giardini. M, Melzer. A. and Dholakia. K. 23rd Conference of the Society for Medical Innovation and Technology (SMIT-2011), Israel.
- “Bio-photonic techniques: Physical principles, current and potential applications in radiology”. Kumar. Rajesh, Giardini. M, Samuel. I, Melzer. A. and Dholakia. K. RSNA- 2010, Radiological Society of North America, Chicago, USA.
- “Integration of Bio-photonic techniques with imaging modalities: Potential application in Medical Science”. Rajesh Kumar, Giardini. M, Melzer. A. and Dholakia. K. Euroscience Open Forum(ESOF) International conference, 3 July 2010, Italy.
- “Fabrication and fluorescence characterization of dye doped graded index polymer optical fibre preform”. M.Kailasnath, T.S.Sreejaya, Rajesh Kumar, P.Radhakrishnan, VPN.Nampoori and CPG. VaIlabhan. Journal of Optics and Laser Technology 40,687,2008. DOI: 10.1016/j.optlastec.2007.10.015.
- “Fluorescence characterization of dye doped polymer optical fibre preform.” M. Kailasnath, Rajesh Kumar, PR John, P. Radhakrishnan, VPN,Nampoori and CPG .Vallabhan. International Conerence on Optical materials and Thin films advanced Technology, (OMTAT-2005), October 24-27, 2005, Kochi, India.
- “Fabrication and fluorescence characterization of Rhodamine B doped graded index polymer optical fibre preform.” M. Kailasnath, Rajesh Kumar, PR John, P. Radhakrishnan, VPN. Nampoori and CPG .Vallabhan. International Conference on Optics and Lasers (ICOL-200S), December 12-15, 2005, Dehradun, India.
- "An LED based evanescent-wave fiber optic sensor for the trace detection of Fe2+ ions in water". M.Kailasnath, Rajesh Kumar, P. Radhakrishnan, VPN. Nampoori a nd CPG. Vallabhan. National conference on Optics December, 21-22, 2006, IIT Chennai.
- "Fabrication of a compact polymer optical fibre drawing machine". M. Kailasnath, Rajesh Kumar, P. Radhakrishnan, VPN. Nampoori, Notional Laser symposium. December, 17-20, 2007, M.S. University, Vadodara.
- Photonics for Healthcare. Rajesh Kumar, The nanoGUNE Cooperative Research Center (CIC), November 23, 2017, Basque, Spain
- Opportunity for Biophotonics in Future Healthcare (acceptance/clearance id: URS264981). Rajesh Kumar, NASA-Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, May 4, 2017 (cited under the section “Top Story” in NASA/JPL website), California, USA
- Advanced Optical Tools and Techniques for Orthopaedics. Rajesh Kumar, Cedars-Sinai Hospital (R&D), May 1, 2017, Los-Angeles, USA
- Advanced Microscopic Analysis of Human Articular Cartilage. Rajesh Kumar, All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS)-Patna, Department of Orthopaedics, June 10, 2016, India
- Raman and Fluorescence spectroscopy - applications in life sciences. Rajesh Kumar, Nofima – The Food Research Laboratory, Ås, September 23, 2015, Norway
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Viser et utvalg av aktivitet. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2012) Multi-Photon Microscopy: Adding prospective new dimensions to Osteoarthritis. The 4th National PhD Conference in Medical Imaging ; 2012-11-28 - 2012-11-29.