Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Professor Gørill Haugan is part of NTNU Center for health promotion research, the research group on Aging and Older Adults' Health, as well as Global Health; Haugan is supervising students (MA and PhD) conducting research in Uganda and Nepal.
She is widely published in the fields of health promotion among nursing home patients, among adolescents and postnatal women. In particular, she has investigated the influence of nurse-patient interaction, self-transcendence, meaning-in-life and spirituality on nursing home patients’ well-being and quality of life. In collaboration with Warsaw Medical University, Haugan has been part of a study on active aging in Poland. Currently, she is leading a research project on joy-of-life in Norwegian nursing homes.
Haugan is supervising a number of PhD-projects focusing on differing aspects of nursing home care, as well as pedagogical research on studebts' clinical studies in nursing homes.
She is also supervising a research project exploring the will to live/survive among long-term intensive care patients in Mid-Norway, as well as a study on pedagogichal methods based in student activity in nursing education.
Her research orientation includes qualitative and quantitative methods. Specifically, her research has contributed to the validation and investigation of the psychometric properties of a number of scales central to nursing, health and well-being, as well as to the development of new scales measuring nurse-patient interaction and joy-of-life in nursing home patients, and relational continuity in the antenatal care.
Furthermore, she is the main editor of a scientific anthology on Health Promotion in Health Care published by Springer Publisher (Haugan & Eriksson, 2021), and two Norwegian scientific anthologies on health promotion in the municipal health services and the hospital health services (Haugan & Rannestad 2014, 2016).
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2019) "Never in my mind to give up!" A qualitative study of long-term intensive care patients' inner strength and willpower-Promoting and challenging aspects. Journal of Clinical Nursing. vol. 28 (21-22).
- (2019) Affective organizational commitment among nursing home employees: A longitudinal study on the influence of a health‐promoting work environment. Nursing Open. vol. 6 (4).
- (2019) Work-Related Sense of Coherence and Longitudinal Relationships with Work Engagement and Job Satisfaction. Scandinavian Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology. vol. 4 (1).
- (2019) Assessing quality of life in older adults: psychometric properties of the OPQoL-brief questionnaire in a nursing home population. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes.
- (2019) Development and psychometric properties of the Joy-of-Life-Scale in cognitively intact nursing home patients. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences. vol. 33 (4).
- (2019) The parenting experiences and needs of Asian primary caregivers of children with autism: A meta-synthesis. Autism.
- (2019) Teaching general practitioners to activate older patients: the intervening role of changes in perceived communication skills. Patient Education and Counseling. vol. 102 (9).
- (2019) The Situational Motivational Scale (SIMS) in physical education: A validation study among Norwegian adolescents. Cogent Education. vol. 6 (1).
- (2018) Preceptorship during health personnel students’ clinical studies in nursing homes – an institutional perspective on an intervention. Nursing Open. vol. 6 (1).
- (2018) “I want a birth without interventions”: Women’s Childbirth Experiences from Turkey. Women and Birth. vol. 32.
- (2018) From breaking point to breakthrough during the ICU stay: A qualitative study of family members’ experiences of long-term intensive care patients’ pathways towards survival. Journal of Clinical Nursing. vol. 27 (19-20).
- (2018) Testing a new tool assessing attitude towards treatment and health in primary health care setting: Senior patients and doctors perspectives. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. vol. 47 (1).
- (2018) Joy of life in nursing homes: A qualitative study of what constitutes the essence of joy of life in elderly individuals living in Norwegian nursing homes. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences. vol. Dec 32 (4).
- (2018) The Expectancy-Value Questionnaire in Physical Education – a validation study among Norwegian adolescents. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research.
- (2017) Bedre arbeidsmetoder og holdninger? Implementering av livsglede for eldre?. Geriatrisk sykepleie.
- (2017) Health-promoting influences among women following early postnatal home visit by a midwife. Nordic journal of nursing research. vol. 38 (4).
- (2017) The role of gender in the active attitude toward treatment and health among patients in primary health care - self-assessed health status and sociodemographic factors as moderators. BMC Geriatrics. vol. 17 (284).
- (2017) Crucial aspects promoting meaning and purpose in life: perceptions of nursing home residents. BMC Geriatrics. vol. 17.
- (2017) Å mestre livet ved alvorlig sykdom - Antonovskys helseteori som guide til helsefremming i sykehus. Nordisk sygeplejeforskning. vol. 7 (4).
- (2017) Validation of the Norwegian version of the work-related sense of coherence scale. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. vol. 46 (7).