Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
I was appointed Associate Professor at the Department of Geography in August 2004, and Professor from September 2013. I am currently Director of Research in the department. I teach and supervise students in human geography, development studies and globalisation studies. Courses I teach include: Humanitarianism: theory and practice (GEOG 3516, autumn 2014), Migration and Development (GEOG 3522, spring 2015), Qualitative Methodology (GEOG3005, spring 2015) and the annual PhD course titled "Theoretical Perspectives in Geography" which is part of the Norwegian Researcher School in Geography that I coordinate (http://www.ntnu.edu/nrsg) My research is mainly in the field of forced migration and humanitarian work as a result of conflicts and disasters. I have conducted research in Sri Lanka, South Caucasus, India, UK, and Norway. I am interested in how protracted situations of forced migration, conflict and disasters change societies and particularly relationships between people and places. Much of my research is conducted in close collaboration with other researchers of the NTNU research group on forced migration of which I am a founding member. Through my research, I have close links with practitioners, researchers and institutions abroad, particularly in Sri Lanka and Georgia. These collaborations have resulted in an interest in action research and the relationship between research ethics and practice.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2016) Dwelling in the temporary- The involuntary mobility of displaced Georgians in rented accommodation. Cultural Studies. vol. 30 (3).
- (2016) There is no future in humanitarianism: Emergency, temporality and protracted displacement. History and Anthropology. vol. 27 (4).
- (2016) Voicing noise: Political agency and the trialectics of participation in urban Malawi. Geoforum. vol. 74.
- (2015) Active waiting and changing hopes: Toward a time perspective on protracted displacement. Social Analysis: The International Journal of Anthropology. vol. 59 (1).
- (2015) Home as a critical value: From shelter to home in Georgia. Refuge. vol. 31 (1).
- (2015) Making homes in limbo? A conceptual framework. Refuge. vol. 31 (1).
- (2013) Working gender after crisis: partnerships and disconnections in Sri Lanka after the Indian Ocean tsunami. Gender, Place & Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography. vol. 20 (1).
- (2013) Young People's Everyday Politics in Post-conflict Sri Lanka. Space & Polity. vol. 17 (1).
- (2012) Between the local and the diasporic: the shifting centre of gravity in war-torn Sri Lanka's transnational politics. Contemporary South Asia. vol. 20 (1).
- (2012) Towards Transformative Participation: Collaborative Research with 'Urban IDPs' in Uganda. Journal of Refugee Studies. vol. 25 (2).
- (2010) Hospitality: Becoming 'IDPs' and 'Hosts' in Protracted Displacement. Journal of Refugee Studies. vol. 23 (3).
- (2010) Real-time research: decolonising research practices - or just another spectacle of researcher-practitioner collaboration?. Development in Practice. vol. 20 (7).
- (2009) A geographers' imperative? Research and action in the aftermath of disaster. Geographical Journal. vol. 175 (3).
- (2009) "Unpacking" the narrative of a national housing policy in Sri Lanka. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 63 (1).
- (2009) 'Unpacking' the narrative of a national housing policy in Sri Lanka. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 63 (1).
- (2009) A conceptual model of the geography of social vulnerability, environmental hazards and climate change. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environment. vol. 6.
- (2008) Birds of Freedom: Young People, the LTTE, and Representations of Gender, Nationalism, and Governance in Northern Sri lanka. Critical Asian studies (Print). vol. 40 (3).
- (2008) Making a home during crisis: Post-tsunami recovery in a context of war, Sri Lanka. Singapore journal of tropical geography. vol. 29 (3).
- (2005) Women in the Local/Global Fields of War and Displacement in Sri Lanka. Gender, Technology and Development. vol. 9 (1).
- (2003) Local Citizens or Internally Displaced Persons? Dilemmas of Long Term Displacement in Sri Lanka. Journal of Refugee Studies. vol. 16 (4).