PH3002 - Innovasjon og global helse
Technology and innovation is an integral part of healthcare, in both developing and developed countries. While understanding key concepts of epidemiology, health management and statistics are common topics to the study of Global Health, few courses focus on the importance of technology and innovation, its history, its present and future, and its inherent challenges.
The course PH3002 will introduce these key ideas in an interactive way using examples that have been successfully implemented and those that failed. We will analyze the key attributes of success and failures of technology in this course.
This course will address the importance of technology in improving overall health outcomes in global health. The course will focus on the process of technology, development, optimization and implementation in low and middle income countries. We will also focus on when and why technology is needed, when it is necessary, and what information it can and cannot provide. In that regard, issues of ethics will also come into play. In addition, the course will analyze the history of technology in global health, the current state of technology and what the future technological needs may be. During this course, we will also focus on three kinds of technologies: 1) successful examples of technology implementation 2) near-misses and 3) those that failed despite showing promise in early/ prototype stages. These lessons will guide the framework of our discussion about the need and the future of the technologies. Finally, we will also study the current bottlenecks, including social, technological and financial, that may hinder technology development and adoption in resource limited settings.
The course PH3002 will provide students with in depth knowledge on the following key topics:
1) History of technological innovation in global health.
2) The process of technology development, optimization and implementation in global health.
3) The essential features needed for a technological innovation to succeed.
4) A richer understanding of what kind of technologies are scalable and which are not.
5) An understanding of stakeholders in technology development and implementation.
Through the course PH3002, we anticipate that the students will develop the following skills:
1) Analyzing various models of technology development process and implementation.
2) Analysis of the role and responsibilities of various stakeholders in technology development and implementation.
3) Group hands-on projects on assessing a technologys promise and trajectory to improve health outcomes.
4) Group presentations on the technology development and implementation cycle for global health applications.
Upon finishing the course PH3002, the students will have an in-depth understanding of global health technologies, their trajectory and the bottlenecks in their implementation, as well as experience working in teams to assess the in country viability and sustainability of a given technology, given the in country financial, socio-cultural, technological and logistical realities.
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
This course will be divided into two parts. The first part will focus on lectures/discussion/case studies. The second part will focus on team work, focused around a single technology per team (of 3-4 students), that will analyze a technology in progress of implementation or a technology that is in early stage of development. The students will be required to come up with a forecast for the future of the technology in terms of the scope, focus and pathway to implementation. Students will analyze whether the given technology has a chance in sustainability, what are the bottlenecks and what needs to change in the technology for it to be highly successful. Ethical and social issues will also be discussed.
The language of teaching and examination is English.
- Avsluttende presentasjon
- Individuelle presentasjoner
Vurderingsmelding krever godkjent undervisningsmelding samme semester. Obligatorisk aktivitet fra tidligere semester kan godkjennes av instituttet.
Krever opptak til studieprogram:
Medisin, ikke-ordinære studenter (MDDIV)
Public Health (MSPUHE)
Admission to the MSc in Public Health. Exchange students may be accepted after an individual evaluation.
Course literature will be announced at the start of the semester.
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato.