MOL3023 - Molekylær medisinsk mikrobiologi med essay
Molecular methods are important for the diagnosis of infectious diseases and for characterization of the microorganisms causing such infections. In this course the student will be introduced to the use of molecular genetic methods in the diagnosis of human pathogenic microoganisms, including methods for extraction of nucleic acids, qualitative and quantitative PCR and DNA sequencing. Principles for primer and probe design will be explained, as well as use of bioinformatics in the design of PCR assays. Methods for genotyping of microorganisms are important for the study of transmission and dissemination of infectious diseases in hospitals and in the community. A range of genotyping methods developed for this purpose will be presented and discussed.
After completion of the course the student should be able to:
- demonstrate a strong general knowledge in molecular medical microbiology
- have good knowledge of the PCR method including design, optimization and validation for detection, identification and quantification of microorganisms, and be able to interpret PCR results and discuss limitations of the method
- discuss interpretation of PCR results and limitations of the method
- demonstrate knowledge of other molecular methods for identification and quantification of microorganisms
- demonstrate good knowledge of molecular methods for genotyping of microbial agents, and discuss the use of molecular epidemiological methods in the investigation of infectious diseases.
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
Lectures and a compulsory written assignment which counts 30% of the final grade.
The language of teaching and examination is English. Alternative examination may be held in case of few students.
Mer om vurdering
Retake of exam: If the assignment is passed in a previous semester, it is sufficient to retake the written exam. If the assignment is not passed, both the assignment and the written exam must be re-taken.
Knowledge at bachelor level in microbiology, cell biology, biochemistry, and/ or molecular biology
Will be announced.
Vurderingsordning: Oppgave og skriftlig eksamen
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato.