HMPH4023 - Psykisk helse i et flerkulturelt samfunn
Nytt fra studieåret 2017/2018
This course focuses on migration and mental health issues in Norway. Topics to be treated include, trauma and migration, epidemiological aspects of migration and mental health, migration and stigma as well as mental health risks and resilience in migration. The scope also covers cultural and structural factors in migration and mental health, clinical diagnostic systems, role of religion and cross-cultural communication with immigrants facing mental health problems. The objective is to provide knowledge on cultural, organizational, structural and clinical barriers to mental health care among immigrants in Norway and to equip students with cultural competencies to address such barriers.
Having completed the course, the student should have acquired the following:
- Knowledge about the epidemiology and scope of mental health issues among immigrants
- In-depth knowledge of clinical diagnostic and treatment systems for immigrants
- In-depth knowledge about mental health risks and resilience in migration and strategies for prevention and support measures
- Knowledge about organizational, structural and clinical factors that impede efficient mental health care delivery for immigrants
- Cultural competence in recognizing risk and resilient factors associated with mental health problems of immigrants.
- Action-oriented skills in communication, building relationships to identify people in danger of contracting disease and the ability to implement adequate measures.
- Insight into and understanding of evaluation and problems related to mental health among immigrants
- The ability to reflect on ones own attitudes and values related to work with people of different cultures
- The ability to formulate and discuss academic research questions and participate in inter-disciplinary cooperation
Læringsformer og aktiviteter
The course is session-based. Introductory lectures will be held in the various topics. The students work individually and in groups with literary studies between the sessions
Mer om vurdering
The examination will be based on course literature and sessions.
Postponed examination are for candidates who has legitimate absence or got Fail
Students are required to be enrolled in postgraduate studies or the master in mental health work programme. Required minimum for the course is 12 students.
Course litterature will be published in Blackboard before the course starts
- * Skriftlig eksamen plasseres på rom 3 dager før eksamensdato.