Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Teaching and Research
Main courses taught at NTNU:
- TPG4112 Geomechanics & Fluid Flow in Porous Media (Part of basic course)
- TPG4185 Formation Mechanics (Advanced course in petroleum related rock mechanics, with focus on reservoir geomechanics, borehole stability, and sand production)
- TPG4170 Reservoir Seismics (Rock physics part of advanced course)
- PG8300 Formation Physics (PhD course on rock physics modelling)
Recent PhDs completed:
- Haitham Tayseer Alassi (2008) Modeling Reservoir Geomechanics using Discrete Element Method: Application to Reservoir Monitoring
- Olav Flornes (2005) Stress Dependent Fluid Flow in Porous Rock: Experiments and Network Modelling
Ongoing PhD work:
- Sergei Gorodkov: Core-Based Stress Estimation
- Morten Kolstø: Effect of water on Wave Velocities in Shale
- Glenn Gabrielsen: Operational borehole stability - Field and Laboratory Studies
- Arnt Grøver: Stress and Stress Interaction in Sedimentary Basins
- Kjartan Rimstad: Inversion of Rock Physics Relations and Discrete Random Fields (co-supervised with Professor Henning Omre)
Main research interest: Rock physics and rock mechanics for petroleum applications.
- Stress dependent wave velocities in reservoir and overburden rocks (relation to 4D seismics)
- Discrete particle modelling of sediment and sedimentary rock behaviour
- Borehole stability in shale
My research is done in close cooperation with the Formation Physics Department in SINTEF Petroleum Research.
Recent and key publications:
- Fjær, E., Holt, R.M., Horsrud, P., Raaen, A.M., Risnes, R. (2008) Petroleum Related Rock Mechanics. 2nd Ed. Elsevier, 491 pp.
- Holt, R.M., Alberts, L. (2008) A Numerical Approach to Petrophysics. E&P Magazine September 2008; pp. 87-88.
- Holt, R.M., Fjær, E., Nes, O.-M., Stenebråten, J.F. (2008) Strain Sensitivity of wave Velocities in Sediments and sedimentary Rocks" ARMA 08-291, 8 pp.
- Holt, R.M., Li, L., Holcomb, D.J. (2008) A Qualitative Comparison between Discrete Particle Modeling and Laboratory Observations of Compaction Bands in Porous Rock. ARMA 08-292, 6 pp.
- Holt, R.M., Li, L., Stenebråten, J.F. (2007) Compaction Behavior of Unbonded Granular Media: Discrete Particle vs Experimental vs Analytical Modeling. In "Rock mechanics: Meeting Society's Challenges and demands- Vol.I", ed. E Eberhardt et al., Taylor & Francis, pp. 393-401.
- Alassi, H.T., Li, L., Holt, R.M. (2006) Discrete Element Modeling of Stress and Strain Evolution within and outside a Depleting Reservoir. Pure & Appl. Geophys. 163, 1131-1151.
- Holt, R.M., Nes, O.-M., Fjær, E. (2005) In Situ Stress Sensitivity of Wave Velocities in Reservoir and Overburden Rocks. The Leading Edge December 2005, pp. 1268-1274.
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2017) Overburden pore-pressure changes and their influence on 4D seismic. SEG technical program expanded abstracts.
- (2016) Frequency-dependent wave velocities in sediments and sedimentary rocks: Laboratory measurements and evidences. The Leading Edge. vol. 35 (6).
- (2016) Anisotropic parameters of dry and saturated sand under stress. Geophysics. vol. 81 (5).
- (2016) Variation of shear and compressional wave modulus upon saturation for pure pre-compacted sands. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 206 (1).
- (2016) Investigation of Geomechanical and Rock Physics Aspects Related to Underground Storage and Monitoring of CO2. The Journal of Indian Geophysical Union. vol. 1.
- (2016) Bounds of elastic parameters characterizing transversely isotropic media: Application to shales. Geophysics. vol. 81 (5).
- (2016) Stress-path dependence of ultrasonic and seismi velocities in shale. SEG technical program expanded abstracts.
- (2016) A new laboratory apparatus for the measurement of seismic dispersion under deviatoric stress conditions. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 64 (4).
- (2015) Brittleness of shales: Relevance to borehole and collapse and hydraulic fracturing. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 131.
- (2015) Laboratory Observation and Micromechanics-Based Modelling of Sandstone on Different Scales. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 48 (4).
- (2014) Overburden geomechanical effects on 4D seismic response - influences of stiffness contrast, anisotropy, and geometry. SEG technical program expanded abstracts.
- (2013) Static and dynamic behaviour of compacted sand and clay: Comparison between measurements in Triaxial and Oedometric test systems. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 61 (2).
- (2013) Elastic Dispersion Derived from a Combination of Static and Dynamic Measurements. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 46 (3).
- (2013) Controlled laboratory experiments to assess the geomechanical influence of subsurface injection and depletion processes on 4D seismic responses. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 61.
- (2012) Relating discrete element method parameters to rock properties using classical and micropolar elasticity theories. International journal for numerical and analytical methods in geomechanics (Print). vol. 36 (10).
- (2011) Modeling Fracturing in Rock using a Modified Discrete Element Method with Plasticity. Key Engineering Materials. vol. 452-453.
- (2011) Stress-induced versus lithological anisotropy in compacted claystones and soft shales. The Leading Edge. vol. 30 (3).
- (2010) Relating 4D seismics to reservoir geomechanical changes using a discrete element approach. Geophysical Prospecting. vol. 58 (4).
- (2008) A numerical approach to petrophysics. Hart's E and P.
- (2006) Discrete element modeling of stress and strain evolution within and outside a depleting reservoir. Pure and Applied Geophysics. vol. 163.