PostadresseInstitutt for produktutvikling og materialer Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet 7491 Trondheim Norge
Bakgrunn og aktiviteter
Information about myself
After receiving a Dr.ing. degree from NTH in 1984, I joined Statoil Research Centre in Trondheim in 1985 to work within their “Material Technology” group. During this period I was involved in several research projects, material selection activities for new fields and failure analysis for existing fields. I also worked as Department Manager for some years.
In 1991 I joined CorrOcean in a combined management/technical position to develop the company from a small national company to be a leading international company within “Corrosion monitoring and corrosion management”. During my 13 years with CorrOcean the company grew from 30 people to 350 people with activities in all the major oil regions in the world. I also got the opportunity to visit the most important regions with oil activities in the world including Asia, Australia , South America, North America and Europe working with the leading oil companies and supplier industry. During my years in CorrOcean the company was listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
After 20 years in oil industry I accepted an offer to be a Professor within “Corrosion and Surface Technology” at IPM in 2004. I still have good contact with the industry and use my contact and experience to develop my courses and to get interesting industrial related projects both for master students and for PhD candidates.
I am present manager for the Strategic Area Materials (Tematisk Satsingsområde Materialer) at NTNU.
Fields of interest
- Material technology for the oil industry
- Corrosion of metallic materials for the process industry
- Corrosion protection by cathodic protection and/or coating
- Corrosion, erosion and wear resistant materials and surfaces
- Tribology (including tribo-corrosion)
- Integrity management of production systems
- Hydrogen embrittlement of metals
In the following is given a short presentation of the main research projects I’m involved in:
HISC - Hydrogen induced stress cracking of stainless steels (2005 – 2011) JIP sponsored by Statoil, ConocoPhillips, Total, Shell, Petrobras, Chevron and supply industry.
Prevention of hydrogen induced stress cracking (HISC) in subsea pipelines and production systems made from stainless steels (2006- 2012) Project sponsored by the Norwegian Research Council through the Petromaks program.
NODE Advanced Riser Tensioning project (2007-2010) Project sponsored by the Norwegian Research Council through the Petromaks program together with National Oilwell Varco, Aker Solutions Maritime Hydraulics, Bosch Rexroth, Umoe Mandal, Statoil.
Pulsed plasma surface treatment (PPST) – effect on hydrogen embrittlement and hydrogen absorption and diffusion (2009-2012)
JIP sponsored by Total, Aker Solutions, FMC Kongsberg and MoTECH Plasma.
Project sponsored by the Norwegian Research Council through the Petromaks program together with oil companies and service industry.
NOWITECH – Norwegian Research Centre for OffshoreWind (2009-2015)
FME sponsored by The Norwegian Research Council and the industry. Participating in activities related to optimization of maintenance including coating technology.
|TMM4170/TMT4255||Corrosion and corrosion protection|
|TMM4205||Tribology and Surface technology|
|TMM4535||Robust material selection and design – offshore applications|
Vitenskapelig, faglig og kunstnerisk arbeid
Et utvalg av nyere tidsskriftspublikasjoner, kunstneriske produksjoner, bok, inklusiv bokdeler og rapport-del. Se alle publikasjoner i databasen
- (2013) Small-scale structural and mechanical characterization of the nitrided layer in martensitic steel. Tribology International. volum 61.
- (2013) Nanomechanical characterization of the hydrogen effect on pulsed plasma nitrided super duplex stainless steel. International journal of hydrogen energy. volum 38 (35).
- (2013) Orientation Relationships and Texture of the Iron-Nitride Phase Constituents in Pulsed Plasma Nitriding. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. A. volum 44A (10).
- (2013) Using permanently installed ultrasound monitoring to maximize the lifetime of a pipeline. International Corrosion Conference Series. volum 2013.
- (2013) Hydrogen Effect on Nanomechanical Properties of the Nitrided Steel. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. A. volum 44 (2).
- (2013) Erosion of hardmetals: Dependence of WC grain size and distribution, and binder composition. Wear. volum 300 (1-2).
- (2013) A new experimental technique for quantifying the galvanic coupling effects on stainless steel during tribocorrosion under equilibrium conditions. Wear. volum 307 (1-2).
- (2013) FE simulation of hydrogen diffusion in duplex stainless steel. International journal of hydrogen energy. volum 39 (2).
- (2012) Nanomechanical evaluation of the protectiveness of nitrided layers against hydrogen embrittlement. Corrosion Science. volum 62 (Sept).
- (2012) Resolving the hydrogen effect on dislocation nucleation and mobility by electrochemical nanoindentation. Scripta Materialia. volum 66 (6).
- (2012) Adolescent health is associated with high school dropout, independent of parental socioeconomic status: a prospective population study, The Young-HUNT 1 study (Norway). European Journal of Public Health. volum 22.
- (2012) Multi-degradation behavior of austenitic and super duplex stainless steel - The effect of 4-point static and cyclic bending applied to a simulated seawater tribocorrosion system. Wear. volum 288.
- (2011) Microstructural characterization of pulsed plasma nitrided 316L stainless steel. Materials Science & Engineering: A. volum 529.
- (2011) Using a multi-layered transducer model to estimate the properties of paraffin wax deposited on steel. Ultrasonics. volum 51 (1).
- (2011) A multi-degradation test rig for studying the synergy effects of tribocorrosion interacting with 4-point static and cyclic bending. Wear. volum 271 (11-12).
- (2010) Adhesion Properties of Polysiloxane Topcoats. Corrosion. volum 66 (12).
- (2010) Internal Stress in Polysiloxane Topcoats. Corrosion. volum 66 (6).
- (2010) Mechanical Properties of Polysiloxane Topcoats. Corrosion. volum 66 (6).
- (2010) Protective Coatings Offshore: Introducing a Risk-Based Maintenance Management System-Part 2: Framework Establishment. Corrosion. volum 66 (1).
- (2010) Protective Coatings Offshore: Introducing a Risk-Based Maintenance Management System-Part 3: A Case Study. Corrosion. volum 66 (1).